521 5.2.1 : AOL will not accept delivery of this message

Rod

Feb 11, 2016, 11:30:36 AM2/11/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
I am getting 521 5.2.1 : AOL will not accept delivery of this message when
I send from my sbcglobal account which uses yahoo as mail provider. My
Gmail account is encountering no problem. Sending to any other domain also
has no problem. Just AOL mail recipients. Anyone else seeing this behavior,
and if so have you discovered the problem. Tbird 38.5.1 using imap,
ssl/tsl, and port 465 on smtp.mail.att.net.

Mike Easter

Feb 11, 2016, 3:26:16 PM2/11/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Usually AOL's postmaster pages are more useful than in this instance.

https://postmaster.aol.com/

Some hits^1 say that means that AOL is interpreting the message as
'spam' which can happen if something about the message, including a
major sending server, has gotten itself onto AOL's blocklist.

There are many reasons that major providers can get blocklisted, such as
'bad' mail handling practices which include some anti-spam techniques
such as Earthlink's high spam blockage using challenge-response which
causes misdirected auto-responders which make EL server challenges hit
antispam blocklisters.

If you have access to the sent mail's bounced headers so that you can
see the sequence of IP addresses (in the Received from: by business)
you can check to see if your IP or your yahoo/sbcglobal IP is in any
popular blocklists. However, even if there is no listed IP in there,
that doesn't mean than AOL doesn't have it on its on blocklist.

You can also communicate with the AOL postmaster; sometimes a postmaster
will care enough to look into it. Usually not.

^1
http://www.mailchannels.com/2012/09/why-did-i-get-521-5-2-1-conb1-httppostmaster-info-aol-comerrors554conb1-html/
AOL has added your mail server’s IP address to an internally maintained
AOL IP blacklist.

--
Mike Easter

David E. Ross

Feb 11, 2016, 7:30:50 PM2/11/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
This appears to mean that AOL misidentified your message as spam using
either your domain, the domain of your ISP's mail server (if different
from your personal domain), or the IP address of either of those
domains. I encounter this problem 2-3 times a year, not just with AOL
but with other major ISPs. This often depends on the ISPs using
third-party services for filtering for spam.

Most often, the problem is the result of my ISP not acting quickly
enough to stop another subscriber from sending spam. All it takes is a
single burst of spam messages. Even if my ISP blocks that other
subscriber within minutes, it is too late for my ISP to avoid being
blacklisted by some third-party spam monitor, which then affects all of
my ISP's subscribers.

I found the only way to correct such blacklisting is to contact my ISP
and inform them of the problem. If they do not seem to act promptly
enough, I demand credit to my account for the duration of the problem, a
demand that usually speeds the process of resolving the problem.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

Rod

Feb 11, 2016, 7:32:09 PM2/11/16
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks Mike
Her is the Received from the error email
Feb 2016 16:10:28 -0000

I don't know which is worse, Yahoo or AOL

Sebastian

Feb 12, 2016, 5:34:19 AM2/12/16
to Rod, mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

The delivery of mails is your mail provider's business, please contact
your postmaster.

AOL is known to be very picky from whom to accept mails from, neglecting
mailing standards. (So the only true solution is to boycott them)

Sebastian

On 02/11/2016 05:28 PM, Rod wrote:
> I am getting 521 5.2.1 : AOL will not accept delivery of this message when
> I send from my sbcglobal account which uses yahoo as mail provider. My
> Gmail account is encountering no problem. Sending to any other domain also
> has no problem. Just AOL mail recipients. Anyone else seeing this behavior,
> and if so have you discovered the problem. Tbird 38.5.1 using imap,
> ssl/tsl, and port 465 on smtp.mail.att.net.
>
> --
> python programming - mail server - photo - video - https://sebix.at
> cryptographic key at https://sebix.at/DC9B463B.asc and on public keyservers

signature.asc