Thunderbird IRC client: invite autojoins

Daniel

Jan 6, 2020, 11:02:19 PM1/6/20
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

I am a loyal thunderbird user and employ the IRC client. I'm looking for
a method with which to auto-deny auto-join requests into channels. There
are individuals who invite people into their channels and thunderbird
doesn't seem to have an obvious feature to ignore them. Freenode support
states that these features are 100% client based. Seems asinine the
server wouldn't have an ignore function but, oh well.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

WaltS48

Jan 7, 2020, 9:15:24 AM1/7/20
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thunderbird isn't the server.

You connect to the IRC server using Thunderbird then use NickServ
commands. Use msg/nickserv/help when connected to the server to get a
list of commands.

I'm not sure there is a command to auto-deny auto-join requests. I don't
think I've ever received an auto-join request on Mozilla or FreeNode IRC.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

Daniel

Jan 7, 2020, 7:48:25 PM1/7/20
On 1/7/20 6:15 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 1/6/20 11:02 PM, Daniel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a loyal thunderbird user and employ the IRC client. I'm looking
>> for a method with which to auto-deny auto-join requests into channels.
>> There are individuals who invite people into their channels and
>> thunderbird doesn't seem to have an obvious feature to ignore them.
>> Freenode support states that these features are 100% client based.
>> Seems asinine the server wouldn't have an ignore function but, oh well.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> Thunderbird isn't the server.

When I said it seemed asinine that the server wouldn't have an ignore
function, I was speaking about freenode. I'm aware Thunderbird is the
client.

> You connect to the IRC server using Thunderbird then use NickServ
> commands. Use msg/nickserv/help when connected to the server to get a
> list of commands.

Agreed.

> I'm not sure there is a command to auto-deny auto-join requests. I don't
> think I've ever received an auto-join request on Mozilla or FreeNode IRC.

I thought there may be a buried solution somewhere within the client
that isn't in the UI or preferences (like in config editor). I spoke to
administrators over at #freenode and they said options to not auto-join
invite requests are 100% client based. They suggested getting a better
IRC client. I'd rather stay with Thunderbird unless absolutely
necessary. The dude in question continues to invite me into his wretched
channel every day. I asked him politely to stop.

Daniel

WaltS48

Jan 8, 2020, 8:30:49 AM1/8/20
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
The command "/ignore <nick>" doesn't work?

Patrick Cloke

Jan 8, 2020, 9:20:44 AM1/8/20
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thunderbird doesn't implement the ignore command. Ignoring users for IRC
is fully client based.

There's a hidden preference
(messenger.conversations.autoAcceptChatInvitations) that you can set to
0 to avoid the auto accepting the invite. Looking at the code [1] it
seems it will still notify you that you were invited. We could expand
this to completely ignoring the invites (e.g. if it was set to 2), but
it doesn't currently support that.

Being able to block users would also be a nice feature that doesn't
exist at the moment unfortunately.

--Patrick

[1]
https://searchfox.org/comm-central/rev/7c1a8145d0f0777ab821c78adb28b8a6466bc3a2/chat/protocols/irc/ircBase.jsm#200-220

WaltS48

Jan 8, 2020, 9:38:54 PM1/8/20
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks Patrick!

I guess Daniel should file an Enhancement bug report on
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Thunderbird> and
select the Instant Messaging component.

Daniel

Jan 8, 2020, 11:52:03 PM1/8/20
to mozilla-suppo...@lists.mozilla.org
The hidden preference Patrick mentioned was exactly what I was asking
about. I don't necessarily want to ignore the invite text. I just want
control over which channels I join.

And yes I will be filing an enhancement bug report. Thank you all for
the great information.

You made my night!

--
Daniel