Clicking a link in Thunderbird won't open Firefox

Ray K

Jul 4, 2012, 2:34:40 PM7/4/12
Problem: Regardless of whether there are none or many instances of FF
open, nothing happens in response to left-clicking on an email link (or
right-clicking and selecting Open Link In Browser). In reviewing Google
searches about this problem, this has been an ongoing problem for years,
for many revisions of TB and FF.

I went through the usual recommendations about checking that TB is the
default mail client and various others things, including adjusting the
some network.protocol.... settings using the Config Editor. Since my
problem just started today, weeks after downloading the latest versions
of FF and TB, I thought maybe CCleaner screwed up a registry entry,
which perhaps it did.

Anyway, I found the fix to be simple. In TB:
1. Go to Tool/Options/Attachments/Incoming.
2. In the Content Type column there should be two entries: http and https.
3. Even though the Action column already says Use Firefox, highlight http
3a. Click on the triangle
3b. Select Use other...
3c. Browse to the location of firefox.exe, select it, and click on Open.
In my computer it's in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\.
4. Highlight https and repeat steps 3a, 3b, and 3c.

I closed TB and FF and restarted them, but that may not be necessary.

That's it. I hope this helps.

(I'm using FF 13.0.1 and TB 13.0.1 with Windows XP.)

Ray K

(Now I wish I could figure out why I can't remain logged in to
my.yahoo.com or yahoo's email program.)

Mike Easter

Jul 4, 2012, 3:49:57 PM7/4/12
Ray K wrote:
> Problem: Regardless of whether there are none or many instances of FF
> open, nothing happens in response to left-clicking on an email link (or
> right-clicking and selecting Open Link In Browser).

> I went through the usual recommendations about checking that TB is the
> default mail client

The important thing (for opening a browser with an Tb email URL) is not
whether Tb is the default mail client, but what is the default browser
app (in terms of the OS configuration in the case of Windows or the DE
in the case of Linux) for handling http.^1

> Anyway, I found the fix to be simple. In TB:
> 1. Go to Tool/Options/Attachments/Incoming.

I don't have/need to have http attachments so configured in my Tb in any
linux distro or any of my XP Tb in order to open the browser of my
choice with an email link.

My attachments section as described above is actually empty.

> That's it. I hope this helps.

> (Now I wish I could figure out why I can't remain logged in to
> my.yahoo.com or yahoo's email program.)

Specifically what kind of problem are you having? I presume you are
saying that your browser FF is logged in to my.yahoo.com -or- yahoo
webmail and then 'something' happens.

Specifically what happens?

^1
https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/hyperlinks-in-messages-not-working?s=email+link+open+browser&as=s#w_check-that-the-operating-systems-default-browser-is-specified
Hyperlinks in Messages Not Working - Problems with received or saved mails

^2 http://kb.mozillazine.org/Setting_Your_Default_Browser Default
browser - If you are unable to launch Firefox (or another Mozilla
browser) from URL links in a Thunderbird mail message ...

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Jul 4, 2012, 4:05:46 PM7/4/12
Mike Easter wrote:
> Ray K wrote:

>> (Now I wish I could figure out why I can't remain logged in to
>> my.yahoo.com or yahoo's email program.)

> Specifically what happens?

And...

... what is your browser/FFx configuration for such as cookies in
Privacy/ History (remember/no/custom), and...

... what antispyware if any are you using ...

... or anything else which will affect your cookies such as ffx add-ons
for which there are many cookie relateds

--
Mike Easter

Ray K

Jul 5, 2012, 5:46:47 PM7/5/12
Mike,

I'm providing the details in a new message called "Can't stayed logged
in to my.yahoo.com"

Ray

tex...@satx.rr.com

Jul 19, 2012, 5:31:17 PM7/19/12
On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:34:40 PM UTC-5, Ray K wrote:
> Problem: Regardless of whether there are none or many instances of FF
> open, nothing happens in response to left-clicking on an email link (or
> right-clicking and selecting Open Link In Browser). In reviewing Google
> searches about this problem, this has been an ongoing problem for years,
> for many revisions of TB and FF.
>
> I went through the usual recommendations about checking that TB is the
> default mail client and various others things, including adjusting the
> some network.protocol.... settings using the Config Editor. Since my
> problem just started today, weeks after downloading the latest versions
> of FF and TB, I thought maybe CCleaner screwed up a registry entry,
> which perhaps it did.
>
> Anyway, I found the fix to be simple. In TB:
> 1. Go to Tool/Options/Attachments/Incoming.
> 2. In the Content Type column there should be two entries: http and https.
> 3. Even though the Action column already says Use Firefox, highlight http
> 3a. Click on the triangle
> 3b. Select Use other...
> 3c. Browse to the location of firefox.exe, select it, and click on Open.
> In my computer it's in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\.
> 4. Highlight https and repeat steps 3a, 3b, and 3c.
>
> I closed TB and FF and restarted them, but that may not be necessary.
>
> That's it. I hope this helps.
>
> (I'm using FF 13.0.1 and TB 13.0.1 with Windows XP.)
>
> Ray K
>
> (Now I wish I could figure out why I can't remain logged in to
> my.yahoo.com or yahoo's email program.)

THis is not tru in my case: In the Content Type column there should be two entries: http and https. Is there a way to add them?

Cyn
tex...@satx.rr.com