"Unknown Plugin (text/html)"

poster3814

Jun 29, 2008, 10:47:42 PM6/29/08
This has happened to me many times before, with both Firefox 2 and now
3. Every so often when I go to a web site - just now, it was an
Amazon.com sign-in page - Firefox displays an information bar stating
I'm missing a required plugin, and if I click to check for the correct
plugin, I get this:

"Plugin Finder Service
Completing the Plugin Finder Service
No suitable plugins were found.
Unknown Plugin (text/html)."

I'm not sure how to reproduce this, since it seems when I go back to or
reload the page, Firefox doesn't report a missing plugin.

What's going on? I would have guessed that if there is anything a web
browser can handle, it's html, of course, and text.

Thank you.
--
Please respond to the newsgroup only. Email sent to this account goes
unread.

Rinaldi J. Montessi

Jun 30, 2008, 12:09:48 AM6/30/08

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=684545&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

--
"Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?"
-- Lily Tomlin

poster3814

Jun 30, 2008, 12:46:27 PM6/30/08

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm glad to find out there are others
with this problem.

One person in that message thread you linked to said FlashBlock causes
the problem but then later posted that updating Flash fixed the problem
for him. I have FlashBlock 1.5.6 installed, and I also have Flash Player
9.0 r124 installed, but both were installed before this latest
occurrence, so these are obviously not the fix for me.

If it is related to Flash or some other content such as in an
advertisement in a web page, the next time I load the page, the ad
perhaps changes to one that does not require "text/html," so the missing
plugin message doesn't occur. This also means it's difficult to
reproduce the problem on the same page, so it's hard for me to test
changes. Perhaps it's similar with those other people, and if so, they
may think the problem is solved for them when it's not (?). I wish I
could think of a page that would always invoke that missing plugin
message to test with.

Thanks again for the reply.

Ron K.

Jun 30, 2008, 4:28:40 PM6/30/08
poster3814 keyboarded, On 6/30/2008 12:46 PM :

One way that "missing Plugin" can be triggered is from malformmed code
in the page. Some cases are from out dated Flash server code. At other
times it can be browser sniffers. And hopfully less common since IE7,
pages having only ActiveX scripts from when IE ruled the web. So if you
fine a repeatable site, the latter two cases could be sorted out with
View Page Source and Page Info. The first case could reproduce if the
site hosts it's own flash, and it's still coded for Flash 7 or 8.

--
Ron K.

poster3814

Jul 1, 2008, 10:40:38 PM7/1/08

I agree. That seems to make sense to me.

I wonder if using "Save Page As" with "Web Page, Complete" might capture
what's triggering the message, and perhaps that would be reproducible
for testing.

Ron K.

Jul 2, 2008, 12:11:52 AM7/2/08
poster3814 keyboarded, On 7/1/2008 10:40 PM :

That sounds reasonable. There is a constant need for test cases. The
only element that you would not capture would be server side scripts
which might be outdated and not understanding that a newer plugin is valid.