What is "active touch general plugin container"?

AndyHancock

Nov 28, 2009, 7:42:12 AM11/28/09
This is a new plugin I found, but can't seem to find any documentation
on it via google, google groups, or searching the FF help website.

Christoph Schmees

Nov 28, 2009, 12:16:44 PM11/28/09
AndyHancock schrieb:

> This is a new plugin I found, but can't seem to find any documentation
> on it via google, google groups, or searching the FF help website.

... malware? You can try to just disable it and see whether that has any
consequences.

Christoph

KristleBawl

Nov 28, 2009, 1:47:19 PM11/28/09
AndyHancock expressed an opinion:

> This is a new plugin I found, but can't seem to find any documentation
> on it via google, google groups, or searching the FF help website.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_ActiveTouch_General_Plugin_Container

ActiveTouch Launches WebEx Meeting Center: The First Application Service
for Web-Based Multimedia Collaborative Meetings.
> http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ActiveTouch+Launches+WebEx+Meeting+Center:+The+First+Application...-a055122546

http://www.webex.com/

Online meetings? "Video" player?--
KristleBawl
"Gee, Mr. Peabody, should I set the "wayback" machine?"
Taglines by http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

AndyHancock

Nov 28, 2009, 3:49:34 PM11/28/09

I guess that could have been the next step. The cause and effect can
never be certain, though, given the idiosyncrasies I encounter with
computers on a regular basis.

AndyHancock

Nov 28, 2009, 3:51:20 PM11/28/09
On Nov 28, 1:47 pm, KristleBawl <KristleB...@some.email> wrote:
> AndyHancock expressed an opinion:
>
> > This is a new plugin I found, but can't seem to find any documentation
> > on it via google, google groups, or searching the FF help website.
>
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_ActiveTouch_General_Plugin_Cont...

> ActiveTouch Launches WebEx Meeting Center: The First Application Service
> for Web-Based Multimedia Collaborative Meetings.
>
> >http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ActiveTouch+Launches+WebEx+Meeting+Cent...

> http://www.webex.com/
>
> Online meetings? "Video" player?--
> KristleBawl

Interesting. I wonder why it didn't show up in my searches with the
quoted phrase.

Thanks.

jbi...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2012, 9:50:12 AM4/3/12
"active touch general plugin container" is installed permanently and without your permission or notification into your browser by Webex webinar connection manager, and left there (presumably on the expectation of being needed next time you attend one of their hosted webinars. This is almost certainly the kind of casual invasion that is asking for trouble, although Web-of-Trust has not yet flagged it as a problem.
. ref
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_ActiveTouch_General_Plugin_Container#login-l-action=edit

Christian Riechers

Apr 3, 2012, 2:00:01 PM4/3/12
You must have run Webex at some point, which installs itself as a
plugin. It's legitimate.
http://www.webex.com/

--
Christian

jkk...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2012, 11:13:17 PM8/31/12
Can somebody just explain how to get rid of it? I do not see it in control panel, I have never used webex, and I'm having so much trouble with flash crashes NPR and other stuff will not run.
Thanks for any help.

sgtrock

Oct 16, 2012, 8:44:00 AM10/16/12
Just because a company's website installs a plug-in does not automatically mean it's legitimate. If a website does so without (a) asking permission, (b) without showing up in the plug-in list so it can be managed, and (c) provides no means of disabling or uninstalling it, it is by definition an illegitimate installation.

The real question in my mind at this point is if that is what really happened. Further on in this thread, the OP claims he never visited Webex.Com. I had a false positive claiming to be the same thing the other night myself but NoScript caught it before it installed. It's distinctly possible that it's malware disguising itself as a known plug-in with illegitimate behavior or malware that is mis-identified by Mozilla's engine.

tma...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2012, 3:32:26 PM12/19/12
I found it in my Firecfox, too. But I know where mine came from. Corel uses Webinar for some of its support stuff. For example, if you get a one-on-one training session for Corel Painter, it's going to be conducted through Webinar. So it is a legit plugin. However, I question the ethics in permanently installing something that isn't easily removed into anyone's computer, although it appears that one can at least disable it if one wishes. Also, based on SGTROCK's comment, it looks like there might also be some malware out there that's disguising itself as this ap in order to bypass security screening on people's computers.