Manually install an older version of Java

John Clarke

May 23, 2010, 12:33:25 PM5/23/10
Hello,

I need to install an older java runtime version (1.5.0_10) as a plugin for Firefox. How can I do this manually? When FF recognizes that I'm missing the plugin, it offers to install the latest version, but I need an older one for other programs. If I let FF install the newest one, then java also gets installed into IE, and that's where I need the older one.

Many thanks.

Jack

Terry R.

May 25, 2010, 9:47:43 AM5/25/10
On 5/23/2010 9:33 AM On a whim, John Clarke pounded out on the keyboard

Hi John,

Install the complete older version. It's not in the scope of removal
for the newer versions, so a new version of Java won't uninstall it. The
removal of prior versions didn't start until around 6.10 and anything
earlier than that isn't removed.

The program that requires it most likely has the version you need on the
install disc, or this might be it here:
http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/5.0_10/index.html

Terry R.

John Clarke

May 30, 2010, 8:47:14 AM5/30/10
On 5/25/2010 9:47 AM, Terry R. wrote:
[...]

Many thanks, Terry. I'll try that approach. Sorry it took me so long to reply.