Gmail Icon on Firefox Toolbar

kp

Oct 23, 2008, 10:20:51 PM10/23/08
I currently have the Google toolbar installed. However, all I really
want it for is the GMail icon to access my Gmail account. If I could
get that into the Firefox toolbar I would uninstall the Google toolbar
and free up more screen space.

I have checked the addons site and found things like Gmail notifier
but am hesitant to use it (and others) given that the reviews usually
include those from people who have had issues with these like
compromising their mail accounts. Are these concerns justified?

Is there a way to get the equivalent to the Google toolbar Gmail icon
into the list of choices offered when customizing the Firefox toolbar?
I would love to just drag the Gmail icon from my Google toolbar onto
the Firefox Toolbar but it does not allow that.

Thanks in advance.

jasee

Oct 24, 2008, 2:52:03 AM10/24/08

You could add a bookmark to your bookmarks toolbar if you use it such as:

<http://mail.google.com/mail?hl=en>

<https://www.google.com/accounts/Login?>

Though personally I don't use that toobar for the same reason I don't use
any toolbars, they waste too much space (and others also may be spyware). If
you're really concerned about security, I'd consider sending and collecting
mail from Gmail via a pop3 client such as Outlook or Outlook Express.

maureenskaar

Oct 24, 2008, 10:16:08 AM10/24/08

when I downloaded Firefox I found there was a space under the address
field that I could drag locations to. when I was at my gmail inbox, I
dragged the gmail logo down to that space, and now I can click on that
when wanting to go to my gmail account. if I am not signed in, it will
take me to the log in page first, I also populated the area with other
places I go to often and it works nicely. hope this works for you.

Alan

Oct 24, 2008, 11:40:26 AM10/24/08
The Toolbar Button add-on for Firefox has 95 different buttons
(icons) you can add to any FF toolbars. Gmail is one of them. The
same add-on can be used for Thunderbird and Sunbird.

jasee

Oct 24, 2008, 12:31:59 PM10/24/08
Alan wrote:
> kp wrote:
>> I currently have the Google toolbar installed. However, all I really
>> want it for is the GMail icon to access my Gmail account. If I could
>> get that into the Firefox toolbar I would uninstall the Google
>> toolbar and free up more screen space.
>>
>> I have checked the addons site and found things like Gmail notifier
>> but am hesitant to use it (and others) given that the reviews
>> usuallyLittle include those from people who have had issues with these
>> like
>> compromising their mail accounts. Are these concerns justified?
>>
>> Is there a way to get the equivalent to the Google toolbar Gmail icon
>> into the list of choices offered when customizing the Firefox
>> toolbar? I would love to just drag the Gmail icon from my Google
>> toolbar onto the Firefox Toolbar but it does not allow that.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
> The Toolbar Button add-on for Firefox has 95 different buttons
> (icons) you can add to any FF toolbars. Gmail is one of them. The
> same add-on can be used for Thunderbird and Sunbird.

This is good, I hate toolbars, they just waste window space, but these icons
can be added to the top exiting toolbar (bookmarks toobar is off!) and
where there's still quite a bit of empty space> Also using littlefox to
maximize window area and icons off!

kp

Oct 24, 2008, 7:49:30 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 11:16 am, maureenskaar <maureensk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> when I downloaded Firefox I found there was a space under the address
> field that I could drag locations to. when I was at my gmail inbox, I
> dragged the gmail logo down to that space, and now I can click on that
> when wanting to go to my gmail account. if I am not signed in, it will
> take me to the log in page first, I also populated the area with other
> places I go to often and it works nicely. hope this works for you.

How did you do that? I right clicked on the Gmail logo while
displaying my inbox and tried dragging it to the toolbar. I got the
longest context menu I've ever seen with tons of choices. I picked

kp

Oct 24, 2008, 8:07:26 PM10/24/08
On Oct 24, 12:40 pm, Alan <tempu...@vacationmail.com> wrote:
> The Toolbar Button add-on for Firefox has 95 different buttons
> (icons) you can add to any FF toolbars. Gmail is one of them. The
> same add-on can be used for Thunderbird and Sunbird.https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2377

This is good, I just added this and got the Gmail icon I wanted on the
toolbar and it works great. I also found that the Google toolbar has
an option to replace the Firefox search box with its own and hide the
rest of the Google toolbar items, so now I have the half-dozen icons I
want on the Firefox toolbar, plus the address box, plus the Google
search box, and that's it, all on one line. When I run without tabs I
get maximum screen space. Beautiful!

charli...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2008, 4:50:37 PM12/7/08

This is way late but I just looked into this issue myself and found
this conversation. In Firefox I opened a new tab, typed "gmail" in
the address box and when I got to the gmail sign-in page, LEFT-clicked
on the gmail logo and DRAGGED it to the space just below the address
box, making it an icon. When I left-clicked on the resulting new
icon, it just regurgitated the logo itself, so I RIGHT-clicked on the
new icon, went into "properties" and changed the address to
https://mail.google.com/. Now clicking on the icon takes me to the
gmail sign-in page.