Can't uninstall "Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1(KB963707) "

LU Wei

Dec 9, 2010, 4:37:56 AM12/9/10
Maybe it's not relevant to Firefox, but I can't uninstall "Update for
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1(KB963707) at "Add or remove programs" in
control panel, it says "this action is only valid for products that are
currently installed". I have googled it, read
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707 and found there is no relevant
registry value and Firefox preference item, tried install dotnetfx35.exe
then uninstall it again with no luck, tried windows install cleanup and
there is no such item showed up.

--
Regards,
LU Wei

Mint

Dec 9, 2010, 5:23:02 AM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 3:37 am, LU Wei <luweit...@address.invalid> wrote:
> Maybe it's not relevant to Firefox, but I can't uninstall "Update for
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1(KB963707) at "Add or remove programs" in
> control panel, it says "this action is only valid for products that are
> currently installed". I have googled it, readhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707and found there is no relevant

> registry value and Firefox preference item, tried install dotnetfx35.exe
> then uninstall it again with no luck, tried windows install cleanup and
> there is no such item showed up.
>
> --
> Regards,
> LU Wei
> PGP key ID: 0x92CCE1EA

Looks like you will have to do it manually.

Make an image backup.

Use regedit and do a search for those terms and start doing some
"excising."

There may be some leftover material in directories as well.

I had to do that when uninstalling a very large SDK.

Andy

Keith Nuttle

Dec 9, 2010, 7:31:27 AM12/9/10
On 12/9/2010 5:23 AM, Mint wrote:
> I can't uninstall "Update for
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1(KB963707) at "Add or remove programs" in
>> control panel, it says "this action is only valid for products that are
>> currently installed".

This does not have anything to do with the Mozilla products. The reason
you are getting this error is you do not have the previous version of
.Net installed. Having had to completely rework my computer in the last
few months, I believe this update is misleading, in that there is no
version 3. so you need to up date all of the version 2 first then the
version 3 will install.

Do to the Microsoft website and read the instructions for the 3.5 update.

LU Wei

Dec 9, 2010, 9:25:24 PM12/9/10
Keith Nuttle wrote on 2010-12-9 20:31:
> On 12/9/2010 5:23 AM, Mint wrote:
>> I can't uninstall "Update for
>>> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1(KB963707) at "Add or remove
>>> programs" in
>>> control panel, it says "this action is only valid for products that are
>>> currently installed".
>
> This does not have anything to do with the Mozilla products. The reason
> you are getting this error is you do not have the previous version of
> .Net installed. Having had to completely rework my computer in the last
> few months, I believe this update is misleading, in that there is no
> version 3. so you need to up date all of the version 2 first then the
> version 3 will install.

I thought so too, so I have tried install .NET Framework version 3.5sp1
(it will install 2.0 and 3.0 altogether) and uninstall but it still says
that message "this action is only valid for products that are currently
installed". I believe the problem begins with a improper uninstall: I
uninstalled .NET Framework 3.5sp1 with "show updates" unchecked. When
"show updates" was checked, there's an orphaned item "Update for
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1(KB963707)" under "Microsoft .NET
Framework 3.5SP1" entry that cannot be removed.

> Do to the Microsoft website and read the instructions for the 3.5 update.

Can't find anything helpful there; I have to live with it maybe.

Maurice Batey

Dec 10, 2010, 11:40:13 AM12/10/10
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:37:56 +0800, LU Wei wrote:

> I can't uninstall "Update for
> Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5SP1(KB963707) at "Add or remove programs" in
> control panel, it says "this action is only valid for products that are
> currently installed".

You don't say which version of Windows, but I came across a simlar
problem with Windows 7 Home Premium.

As I understood it, you can't use the Uninstall function there
because .NET is part of the operating system, not a 'program'.

One way to remove it is to use Revo-uninstall (or some such name) -
available somewhere on the 'net.

--
/\/\aurice