Question about fonts & display

1 view

DietRite

Apr 16, 2006, 3:45:38 AM4/16/06
I'm having difficulty with some pages that display fonts larger than they
are specified on the web sites (via CSS). I can reduce the size of these
displayed fonts by adjusting in Firefox Tools/Options/Fonts & Colors,
reducing the default to 12 pt, but then other fonts (as on the MyYahoo home
page) are way too small.

Don't have this problem with Opera, IE6, IE7, so I'm wondering what's the
reason?

C A Upsdell

Apr 16, 2006, 12:22:16 PM4/16/06

URL?

DietRite

Apr 16, 2006, 12:53:41 PM4/16/06
On this site, for example, the font is silly-small in Firefox, and much
clearer (larger) in IE.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

"C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nos...@upsdell.com"> wrote in message

C A Upsdell

Apr 16, 2006, 1:42:53 PM4/16/06
DietRite wrote:
> On this site, for example, the font is silly-small in Firefox, and much
> clearer (larger) in IE.
> http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST!!!

On my PC both look reasonable.

However: this page has both HTML errors and CSS errors. The CSS errors
are particularly severe (e.g. the designer has forgotten to specify
units with widths, apparently assuming that if no units are specified,
pixels are assumed.) How the various browsers deal with such errors
will likely vary with the browser.

Chris Ilias

Apr 16, 2006, 8:41:00 PM4/16/06
_DietRite_ spoke thusly on 16/04/2006 3:45 AM:

Try setting a site-specific style sheet.
See:
<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/msg/90f3c3a3b7bb036a>
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

DietRite

Apr 17, 2006, 12:04:07 AM4/17/06

> DietRite wrote:
>> On this site, for example, the font is silly-small in Firefox, and much
>> clearer (larger) in IE.
>> http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
>
> PLEASE DO NOT TOP-POST!!!
>
> On my PC both look reasonable.
>
> However: this page has both HTML errors and CSS errors. The CSS errors
> are particularly severe (e.g. the designer has forgotten to specify units
> with widths, apparently assuming that if no units are specified, pixels
> are assumed.) How the various browsers deal with such errors will likely
> vary with the browser.

Actually, that's my point. All the other browsers I use handle this page
(and many others with faults and errors galore, I'm sure) without a hitch,
and in pretty much the same way. But Firefox can't, apparently.

And in case you aren't aware, some people prefer top posting. Not you, I'm
guessing.

Ron Hunter

Apr 17, 2006, 6:04:49 AM4/17/06
The custom in this group is bottom posting. Either option works well,
as long as everyone is doing the same, but mixed top and bottom posting
really is a mess.

CBFalconer

Apr 17, 2006, 6:50:48 PM4/17/06
Ron Hunter wrote:
> DietRite wrote:

... snip ...

>> And in case you aren't aware, some people prefer top posting.
>> Not you, I'm guessing.
>
> The custom in this group is bottom posting. Either option works
> well, as long as everyone is doing the same, but mixed top and
> bottom posting really is a mess.

No, top-posting never works well, because it distorts the order and
discourages snipping.