how to read chm files?

louise

Oct 7, 2010, 1:59:08 AM10/7/10
I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered
as help files for various programs and I don't know why -
or, how to fix it?

Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.

I open the file and I get a message that says Navigation to
the Webpage was cancelled - you can try retyping the address
- which of course doesn't work either.

I'm having the same problem with FF and with IE 8.

Help please?

Louise

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Oct 7, 2010, 7:45:18 AM10/7/10
louise wrote:

> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered as help
> files for various programs and I don't know why - or, how to fix it?
> Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.

[ .chm == "Compiled HTML", for those who may not be aware ]

Is it this one?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3235/

> I open the file and I get a message that says Navigation to the
> Webpage was cancelled - you can try retyping the address - which of
> course doesn't work either.

What happens if you, say, save the .chm file to your Desktop and try to
open it there?

> I'm having the same problem with FF and with IE 8.

Oh. Then it may not be a Firefox problem. Try saving, then opening, as I
said above, and report back.

--
-bts

Mr...@totally.invalid

Oct 7, 2010, 8:13:40 AM10/7/10

Try navigating to the .chm file with file explorer.
Right click on the file.
Select properties.
At the bottom of the page, if the "Read Only" box is checked, uncheck
it and ok out.
--
Mr.E

Ralph Fox

Oct 7, 2010, 8:30:56 AM10/7/10

1. Save the .chm file to your hard drive.

2. Right-click on the saved .chm file, choose "Properties",
and on the "General" tab click "Unblock" then "OK".

Before you unblock any file which you downloaded from
the Internet, I would recommend first scanning the file
for viruses. This includes .chm files.

3. Now you should be able to open the saved and unblocked
.chm file.

For more information, see this Microsoft support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021383

--
Regards
Ralph

WLS

Oct 7, 2010, 8:37:52 AM10/7/10

This might help. There is a list of programs that open chm files.

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/chm

WLS

Jay Garcia

Oct 7, 2010, 8:58:37 AM10/7/10
On 07.10.2010 06:45, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

Interesting, I just dbl-click on any .chm file and it opens, no problem.

XP Pro SP3

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion*
www.ufaq.org

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Oct 7, 2010, 9:21:10 AM10/7/10
Jay Garcia wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> louise wrote:
>>> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered as help
>>> files for various programs and I don't know why - or, how to fix
>>> it? Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.
>>
>> [ .chm == "Compiled HTML", for those who may not be aware ]
>>
>> Is it this one?
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3235/
>>
>>> I open the file and I get a message that says Navigation to the
>>> Webpage was cancelled - you can try retyping the address - which of
>>> course doesn't work either.
>>
>> What happens if you, say, save the .chm file to your Desktop and try
>> to open it there?
>>
>>> I'm having the same problem with FF and with IE 8.
>>
>> Oh. Then it may not be a Firefox problem. Try saving, then opening,
>> as I said above, and report back.
>
> Interesting, I just dbl-click on any .chm file and it opens, no
> problem.
>
> XP Pro SP3

(As I'm not a Windows user) could an included CHM reader be one of the
things Microsoft has dropped from Windows 7? .. like they did with a
pre-installed email client?

Like you, CHMs just open right up for me (Ubuntu 8.04).

Terry R.

Oct 7, 2010, 9:52:49 AM10/7/10
On 10/6/2010 10:59 PM On a whim, louise pounded out on the keyboard

Hi Louise,

CHM files have been blocked since Vista. If the file you want to view
is out of its zip file, you can right-click on the file and click the
Unblock button.

Terry R.

Jay Garcia

Oct 7, 2010, 10:32:05 AM10/7/10
On 07.10.2010 08:21, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> (As I'm not a Windows user) could an included CHM reader be one of the
> things Microsoft has dropped from Windows 7? .. like they did with a
> pre-installed email client?
>
> Like you, CHMs just open right up for me (Ubuntu 8.04).

I never knowingly installed anything to specifically read CHM files nor
have I ever right-clicked, selected "Properties" and unblocked 'em either.

Dave Symes

Oct 7, 2010, 11:01:17 AM10/7/10
In article <koWdnbD1eJBITTDR...@mozilla.org>,

Terry R. <Terry...@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Louise,

> CHM files have been blocked since Vista. If the file you want to view
> is out of its zip file, you can right-click on the file and click the
> Unblock button.

> Terry R.

Since Vista, I've come to the conclusion, there's a lot of folks sitting
in MS offices with nothing better to do than spend the day with a hand
down the pants playing with themselves (Insert your own personal
pejorative) and thinking up even more ridiculous way to make our computing
lives even more difficult.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Shisul

Oct 7, 2010, 11:38:08 AM10/7/10
--->

AFAIK Windows XP was the last version of Windows to have a CHM reader
intrinsic to the operating system. There is a reader, available from
Microsoft (but I don't know exactly where), that I downloaded for my
Vista and WIn7 installs. The whole thing has to do with the change that
Microsoft did from Compiled Help files to their new HTML-based help system.

S.

Message has been deleted

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 12:35:59 PM10/7/10
Terry R. wrote:
> On 10/6/2010 10:59 PM On a whim, louise pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered
>> as help files for various programs and I don't know why -
>> or, how to fix it?
>>
>> Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.
>>
>> I open the file and I get a message that says Navigation to
>> the Webpage was cancelled - you can try retyping the address
>> - which of course doesn't work either.
>>
>> I'm having the same problem with FF and with IE 8.
>>
>> Help please?
>>
>> Louise
>
> Hi Louise,
>
> CHM files have been blocked since Vista.

What? Never used Vista but W7 does no such thing to .chm files. They
are the standard Help files for Windows apps since Win 98. I've got 678
of them on this box, including the ones for MS Office.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 12:37:14 PM10/7/10

My Windows 7 displays .chm files just fine and did NOT install any
program to enable it. They are the standard Help files for Windows apps
since Win 98.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 12:46:44 PM10/7/10
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> louise wrote:
>
>> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered as help
>> files for various programs and I don't know why - or, how to fix it?
>> Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.
>
> [ .chm == "Compiled HTML", for those who may not be aware ]
>
> Is it this one?
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3235/

That's the 32-bit version. She needs the 64-bit one:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=175748

If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees.

Lance

Oct 7, 2010, 1:06:10 PM10/7/10
Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote the following on 10/7/2010 06:21:
<snip>

> (As I'm not a Windows user) could an included CHM reader be one of the
> things Microsoft has dropped from Windows 7? .. like they did with a
> pre-installed email client?
>
> Like you, CHMs just open right up for me (Ubuntu 8.04).

I just tried opening a CHM file on one of our Win7 machines and it
opened up just fine.

Lance
*****

clay

Oct 7, 2010, 1:21:18 PM10/7/10

Actually, they're trying to find ways to stop the bleeding.
Locking down Windows is the only chance at making it somewhat secure.
Since .chm is an executable that could carry nasties, blocking is just
another M$ "security through obscurity" attempt to protect itself from
exploitation.
Places the responsibility on the user who unblocks a file and gets the
gleep.

Terry R.

Oct 7, 2010, 2:04:34 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 9:35 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

> Terry R. wrote:
>> On 10/6/2010 10:59 PM On a whim, louise pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered
>>> as help files for various programs and I don't know why -
>>> or, how to fix it?
>>>
>>> Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.
>>>
>>> I open the file and I get a message that says Navigation to
>>> the Webpage was cancelled - you can try retyping the address
>>> - which of course doesn't work either.
>>>
>>> I'm having the same problem with FF and with IE 8.
>>>
>>> Help please?
>>>
>>> Louise
>> Hi Louise,
>>
>> CHM files have been blocked since Vista.
>
> What? Never used Vista but W7 does no such thing to .chm files. They
> are the standard Help files for Windows apps since Win 98. I've got 678
> of them on this box, including the ones for MS Office.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help

What does the amount of them have to do with anything?

Not going to argue with you about it Ed. They are still blocked by
default. You probably unblocked them at some point.

Terry R.

Oct 7, 2010, 2:10:15 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 9:37 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

You need to read a little more before jumping on this bandwagon. They
are NOT standard since Win98. AND MS is moving away from them because
they ARE a security threat.

Bob Henson

Oct 7, 2010, 2:14:10 PM10/7/10
Terry R. wrote:
> On 10/7/2010 9:37 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> Shisul wrote:
>>> --->

>>> AFAIK Windows XP was the last version of Windows to have a CHM reader
>>> intrinsic to the operating system. There is a reader, available from
>>> Microsoft (but I don't know exactly where), that I downloaded for my
>>> Vista and WIn7 installs. The whole thing has to do with the change that
>>> Microsoft did from Compiled Help files to their new HTML-based help system.
>> My Windows 7 displays .chm files just fine and did NOT install any
>> program to enable it. They are the standard Help files for Windows apps
>> since Win 98.
>>

> You need to read a little more before jumping on this bandwagon. They
> are NOT standard since Win98.

Wikipedia thinks they are/were:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.CHM

> AND MS is moving away from them because
> they ARE a security threat.

That's certainly correct.

Regards,

Bob

--

Licentiae, quam stulti libertatem vocabant - Tacitus

Terry R.

Oct 7, 2010, 2:24:26 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 11:14 AM On a whim, Bob Henson pounded out on the keyboard

That only tells someone that you can't believe everything in a Wiki.

That would be like MS try to get everyone to believe that XPS is the
electronic document "standard". While supported, it's far from the
standard. There are a lot more HLP files on most Win9x/W2k/Me/XP
computers than CHM. A lot of software vendors didn't change over. Not
until Vista did MS drop support for HLP without the use of a viewer.
And now they're moving away from it completely. Far from a standard.

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 3:28:55 PM10/7/10

A .chm file is NOT an executable file. It is a Compiled HTML Help file.
On a Windows system the file is opened with the program C:\Windows\hh.exe.

A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 3:31:46 PM10/7/10

They are NOT blocked in Windows 7. And, according to this page:

http://blog.crowe.co.nz/archive/2007/04/13/719.aspx

they are not blocked in Vista by default.

I asked Mom if I was a gifted child. She said they certainly wouldn't
have paid for me.

Terry R.

Oct 7, 2010, 4:10:21 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 9:46 AM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> louise wrote:
>>
>>> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered as help
>>> files for various programs and I don't know why - or, how to fix it?
>>> Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.
>> [ .chm == "Compiled HTML", for those who may not be aware ]
>>
>> Is it this one?
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3235/
>
> That's the 32-bit version. She needs the 64-bit one:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=175748

She didn't state what version of FF she is using. But a good chance it's
the 32bit.

Terry R.

Oct 7, 2010, 4:21:22 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 12:31 PM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

Well until we find out from Louise that she tried my suggestion, we
won't know.

The confusion I think I'm seeing here is that Vista/Win7 block ANY chm
file that is downloaded or that comes from another computer. Her error
message, "Navigation to the Webpage was cancelled" is typical of that
scenario. And when that error is seen, the fix I offered is the way to
eliminate it.

Ralph Fox

Oct 7, 2010, 6:13:08 PM10/7/10

A .chm file can *execute* code.

The security concern is that a malicious .chm file might execue malicious code.

http://www.google.com/search?q=chm+vulnerability+site%3Amicrosoft.com

--
Regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Oct 7, 2010, 7:06:51 PM10/7/10
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:35:59 -0400, in message <MPednVupEo9lazDR...@mozilla.org>
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Terry R. wrote:
> >
> > CHM files have been blocked since Vista.
>
> What? Never used Vista but W7 does no such thing to .chm files. They
> are the standard Help files for Windows apps since Win 98. I've got 678
> of them on this box, including the ones for MS Office.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help

Windows 7 does not block every single .chm file on your system.

CHM files which are downloaded directly from the Internet are
blocked, whether you use IE, Firefox for Windows, or Chrome for
Windows to do the downloading.

--
Regards
Ralph

Terry R.

Oct 7, 2010, 7:12:32 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 4:06 PM On a whim, Ralph Fox pounded out on the keyboard

And (as I explained to Ed earlier) from another computer or a network
resource.

Nobody

Oct 7, 2010, 8:09:15 PM10/7/10

<guffaw>

Believe EVERYTHING in a Wiki?

One cannot believe ANYTHING in a Wiki...

(Say after me: there is no god called Wiki...)

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 9:01:15 PM10/7/10

So, you cite a 2007 (3 year old) citation of a potential vulnerability
that may never have been exploited. And what does that prove?

FUD.

Mozilla apps have had numerous /potential/ vulnerabilities that have
never been exploited. Should we all stop using Mozilla-based products?

Yet another Microsoft scare.

"A conscience is like a boat or a car. If you feel you need one, rent
it." - J.R. Ewing

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 9:21:56 PM10/7/10

That error comes from a .chm file that is nothing more than a link to an
online page of "help." Hence the OP's error message about "Navigation
to e Web page was cancelled ..." - I got the same one trying to open the
autoruns.chm file by clicking on it.

And, this may be the answer to the OP's question. Although, Louise
hasn't been back after her original post.

Got nothing to do with "blocking" as far as I can tell. My file was not
"blocked" in any way.

And, by the way, it's a file from a Microsoft site:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Sysinternals was bought by MS a couple of years ago. It is a respected
site with many valuable and valid utilities.

Do fish get cramps after eating?

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 9:24:23 PM10/7/10

Interesting. Blocked by what?

Windows itself? Or Windows firewall? I've never downloaded one so I
have no experience in that respect. Only the hundreds of .chm help
files installed by the many apps on my Win 7 and Win XP boxes.

4 priests, 12 rabbis, and 24 lawyers walk into a bar. Bartender says,
"Is this a joke?"

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 9:26:07 PM10/7/10

So, you are asserting that EVERYTHING on Wikipedia.org is false? Or
something else? What exactly ARE you asserting?

If an orange is orange, why isn't a lime called a green or a lemon
called a yellow?

louise

Oct 7, 2010, 10:24:00 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 8:58 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 07.10.2010 06:45, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

I never had trouble with XP - this is Win 7 64 bit.

louise

Oct 7, 2010, 10:24:45 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 7:45 AM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> louise wrote:
>
>> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered as help
>> files for various programs and I don't know why - or, how to fix it?
>> Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.
>
> [ .chm == "Compiled HTML", for those who may not be aware ]
>
> Is it this one?
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3235/
>
>> I open the file and I get a message that says Navigation to the
>> Webpage was cancelled - you can try retyping the address - which of
>> course doesn't work either.
>
> What happens if you, say, save the .chm file to your Desktop and try to
> open it there?
>
>> I'm having the same problem with FF and with IE 8.
>
> Oh. Then it may not be a Firefox problem. Try saving, then opening, as I
> said above, and report back.

Yes that is the add-on

Opening from my desktop also doesn't work.

Louise

louise

Oct 7, 2010, 10:39:43 PM10/7/10
On 10/7/2010 11:44 AM, FredW wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 01:59:08 -0400, louise<lou...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered
>> as help files for various programs and I don't know why -
>> or, how to fix it?
>>
>> Windows 7 64 bit,
>>
>> Help please?
>>
>> Louise
>
> I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
>
> In Windows Explorer, when I click on an *.chm file,
> the file opens and I can read the contents.
> The type of the file is "Compiled HTML Help file".
>
> In properties I find that the file opens with:
> "Microsoft® HTML Help Executable".
>
> Associate the *.chm (again ?) with HH.EXE
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/194116
>
> In my Windows 7 (64-bit) I have "hh.exe" in C:\Windows\

Thanks to everyone - I found that unblocking worked, but
some chm files didn't seem to offer that option in properties.

I found a program called ABC Amber CHM converter on Tucows.

It converts chm files to pdf, htm and many other types for e
readers etc. I'm using the trial version at this point
(It's $20 to purchase) and I'll see, after following all of
your great suggestions, whether I still feel I need it.

Louise

Ed Mullen

Oct 7, 2010, 10:45:20 PM10/7/10

If it were my system I'd be looking to investigate further.

I have a standard install of Windows 7 (32-bit) and have never had any
issue with .chm files. hh.exe is a standard part of a Windows
installation and that is the program that opens/reads .chm files.

If that's not happening on your system I'd suggest a re-intstall of
Windows. Or, at least, a system file check.

Individualists of the world, UNITE!

Terry R.

Oct 8, 2010, 12:49:00 AM10/8/10
On 10/7/2010 6:01 PM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

>>> A .chm file is NOT an executable file. It is a Compiled HTML Help file.
>>> On a Windows system the file is opened with the program C:\Windows\hh.exe.
>>
>> A .chm file can *execute* code.
>>
>> The security concern is that a malicious .chm file might execue malicious code.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=chm+vulnerability+site%3Amicrosoft.com
>>

> So, you cite a 2007 (3 year old) citation of a potential vulnerability
> that may never have been exploited. And what does that prove?
>
> FUD.
>
> Mozilla apps have had numerous /potential/ vulnerabilities that have
> never been exploited. Should we all stop using Mozilla-based products?
>
> Yet another Microsoft scare.

Regardless if it was 3 years old or not, the fact remains that MS had
moved away from CHM files because they are a security risk. Do your own
research and see if this isn't correct.

Terry R.

Oct 8, 2010, 12:52:48 AM10/8/10
On 10/7/2010 6:21 PM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

"ONLINE" would be a downloaded file or from another computer. So you
only verified what I told you.

> And, this may be the answer to the OP's question. Although, Louise
> hasn't been back after her original post.

I already said it was the OP's answer.

> Got nothing to do with "blocking" as far as I can tell. My file was not
> "blocked" in any way.

It has EVERYTHING to do with blocking CHM file from the internet or
another computer.

> And, by the way, it's a file from a Microsoft site:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Regardless if it was from MS's site, it was STILL a file from the
internet, which is blocked by default.

> Sysinternals was bought by MS a couple of years ago. It is a respected
> site with many valuable and valid utilities.

Sysinternals was bought a lot longer than a couple years ago.

Terry R.

Oct 8, 2010, 12:53:59 AM10/8/10
On 10/7/2010 6:24 PM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

> Ralph Fox wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:35:59 -0400, in message<MPednVupEo9lazDR...@mozilla.org>
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> What? Never used Vista but W7 does no such thing to .chm files. They
>>> are the standard Help files for Windows apps since Win 98. I've got 678
>>> of them on this box, including the ones for MS Office.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help
>>
>> Windows 7 does not block every single .chm file on your system.
>>
>> CHM files which are downloaded directly from the Internet are
>> blocked, whether you use IE, Firefox for Windows, or Chrome for
>> Windows to do the downloading.
>
> Interesting. Blocked by what?

By the OS.

> Windows itself? Or Windows firewall? I've never downloaded one so I
> have no experience in that respect. Only the hundreds of .chm help
> files installed by the many apps on my Win 7 and Win XP boxes.

Well, maybe you should read up a bit before making your statements.

Terry R.

Oct 8, 2010, 12:55:24 AM10/8/10
On 10/7/2010 5:09 PM On a whim, Nobody pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Wikipedia thinks they are/were:-
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.CHM

>>> That's certainly correct.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Bob
>>>
>> That only tells someone that you can't believe everything in a Wiki.
>>

> <guffaw>
>
> Believe EVERYTHING in a Wiki?
>
> One cannot believe ANYTHING in a Wiki...
>
> (Say after me: there is no god called Wiki...)

Umm, that is exactly what I said. See the word "can't"? Is this too
hard for you?

Terry R.

Oct 8, 2010, 12:56:51 AM10/8/10
On 10/7/2010 7:39 PM On a whim, louise pounded out on the keyboard

> Thanks to everyone - I found that unblocking worked, but
> some chm files didn't seem to offer that option in properties.

If that option isn't offered, it's usually because the file is contained
in a compressed file of some sort. Extracting the file will allow you
to unblock it.

Terry R.

Oct 8, 2010, 12:59:31 AM10/8/10
On 10/7/2010 7:45 PM On a whim, Ed Mullen pounded out on the keyboard

>> Thanks to everyone - I found that unblocking worked, but some chm files
>> didn't seem to offer that option in properties.
>>
>> I found a program called ABC Amber CHM converter on Tucows.
>>
>> It converts chm files to pdf, htm and many other types for e readers
>> etc. I'm using the trial version at this point (It's $20 to purchase)
>> and I'll see, after following all of your great suggestions, whether I
>> still feel I need it.
>>
>> Louise
>
> If it were my system I'd be looking to investigate further.

No need.

> I have a standard install of Windows 7 (32-bit) and have never had any
> issue with .chm files. hh.exe is a standard part of a Windows
> installation and that is the program that opens/reads .chm files.

Because you have never downloaded any CHM files or tried to access them
off a network or another computer. If you had you would have run into
the same issue.

> If that's not happening on your system I'd suggest a re-intstall of
> Windows. Or, at least, a system file check.

ABSOLUTELY not a resolution to this issue. Talk about spreading FUD!
Ed, read up on the issue before suggesting to someone to reinstall Windows!

rebro

Oct 8, 2010, 5:23:15 AM10/8/10
Why not try "xCHM v.1.16" (a program under the GPL)?
-rebro

Ralph Fox

Oct 8, 2010, 7:07:43 AM10/8/10

If you read more, you will find that Microsoft made changes
in Vista and Windows 7 to mitigate this risk.

1. When a .chm file is downloaded from an untrusted source such
as the Internet., it is tagged to "block" it.

2. When one tries to open a .chm file which is "blocked", one
sees a message like "Navigation to the webpage was canceled"
instead of the .chm content.

This error message exactly matches what the OP reported.

I trust this substantially answers your question above.

> FUD.
>
> Mozilla apps have had numerous /potential/ vulnerabilities that have
> never been exploited. Should we all stop using Mozilla-based products?
>
> Yet another Microsoft scare.

Ed, Ed, Ed -- nobody has said we should stop using .chm files.

And the analogy with Mozilla apps is not quite right.
A better analogy is someone who downloads an app from a dodgy web
site and gets infected (or his Internet banking password stolen).
With .chm files the risk is with someone downloading a specially
crafted .chm file with a real vulnerability, not in a /potential/
vulnerability in your existing .chm files which came from trustworthy
sources.

--
Regards
Ralph

Ralph Fox

Oct 8, 2010, 7:25:54 AM10/8/10
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:24:23 -0400, in message <2eudnfbaPYpN7zPR...@mozilla.org>
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Ralph Fox wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 12:35:59 -0400, in message<MPednVupEo9lazDR...@mozilla.org>
> > Ed Mullen wrote:

> >> What? Never used Vista but W7 does no such thing to .chm files. They
> >> are the standard Help files for Windows apps since Win 98. I've got 678
> >> of them on this box, including the ones for MS Office.
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Compiled_HTML_Help
> >

> > Windows 7 does not block every single .chm file on your system.
> >
> > CHM files which are downloaded directly from the Internet are
> > blocked, whether you use IE, Firefox for Windows, or Chrome for
> > Windows to do the downloading.
>
> Interesting. Blocked by what?

1. When a .chm file is downloaded from the Internet, a
"Zone.Identifier" ADS tag is added to the file, to flag
that the file came from the Internet Security Zone.

2. When you try to open this .chm file, the CHM viewer sees
the "Zone.Identifier" ADS tag and displays the message
"Navigation to the webpage was canceled" (as was reported
by the OP).

3. When you right-click on the .chm file and select
"Properties", Windows Explorer sees the "Zone.Identifier"
ADS tag and displays a message on the "General"
properties tab to say:

"This file came from another
computer and might be blocked to
help protect this computer"

> Windows itself? Or Windows firewall?

Windows itself.

Firefox 3.x cooperates with step 1 of the process above.
As do IE and Chrome.

> I've never downloaded one so I
> have no experience in that respect. Only the hundreds of .chm help
> files installed by the many apps on my Win 7 and Win XP boxes.

Go to http://code.google.com/p/htmlhelp/downloads/list?q=label:CHM
and download one of the .chm files using Firefox 3.x.

I suggest "html-4.01.chm", the HTML version 4.01 specification.

--
Regards
Ralph

Ed Mullen

Oct 8, 2010, 1:32:28 PM10/8/10

I wrote this before reading your (and others) replies on the details of
the issue.

You are correct, I have never downloaded a .chm file directly from the
Internet. The only ones I got online were packed in zip files.

And my comments were made because the OP said:

"I am unable to read any and *all* .chm files that are offered as help
files for various programs ..." That sure sounds like a system-wide
issue to me.

But thanks for the details on the issue.

You cannot achieve the impossible without attempting the absurd.

louise

Oct 8, 2010, 10:09:22 PM10/8/10
I'm running Win 7 64 bit although it probably doesn't matter.

I have a file called hh.exe in c:/windows/system but it
doesn't open the chm files. It is 16.5kb.

AV and Anti Malware are clean.

What would I be investigating for?

Louise

Nobody

Oct 8, 2010, 11:32:08 PM10/8/10
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 21:26:07 -0400, Ed Mullen <edNO...@edmullen.net>
wrote:

NOTHING, absolutely ZILCH on Wiki is edited/checked/passed by any
control that has knowledge of any subject being addressed.

It is by its own description a collaboration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

The third paragraph says enough.

Ed Mullen

Oct 9, 2010, 12:21:52 AM10/9/10

So. ALL statements (according to you) on Wikipedia should be discounted
out of hand?

"Yes, I guess, they oughtta name a drink after you." - John Prine

Ed Mullen

Oct 9, 2010, 12:30:31 AM10/9/10

My reaction was predicated on your staement that NO .chm files on your
system could be opened. That suggested to me that you have a
system-wide issue. If, however, only .chm files downloaded from the
Internet exhibit the problem then refer to the "blocked" issue.

I'm still not clear on what your over-all problem is.

If NO .chm files, even those intalled by a program installation, are
able to be read then you have a different problem from the one regarding
downloaded .chm files.

Again. In Vista and W7 a .chm file downloaded or accessed/copied from a
networked computer will be flagged/blocked by the OS.

But that should not affect a .chm Help file installed with a program
installation.

As I said earlier I have hundreds of .chm files installed by apps which
are not "blocked" by Windows 7.

Even programs downloaded in a compressed file that unpack a .chm file
Windows doesn't flag.

So, pleas elaborate on what your problem is. I'm still not clear just
what .chm files you're having problems with.

And why are you using a Firefox extension to read them when the ability
to view them is native to Windows?

Ralph Fox

Oct 9, 2010, 5:53:48 AM10/9/10
On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 22:09:22 -0400, in message <frSdnSJYatpSUzLR...@mozilla.org>
louise wrote:

> I'm running Win 7 64 bit although it probably doesn't matter.
>
> I have a file called hh.exe in c:/windows/system but it
> doesn't open the chm files. It is 16.5kb.

I also have Win 7 64 bit. My hh.exe is in C:\Windows, not C:\Windows\system.
My hh.exe is also 16.5kB.

You cannot first open hh.exe, and then use it to find and open a .chm file.
To open a .chm file with hh.exe, do this instead

1. Select the .chm file
2. Right-click on the .chm file and select 'Copy'
3. Select hh.exe
4. Right-click on hh.exe and select "Paste".

--
Regards
Ralph

Ed Mullen

Oct 9, 2010, 1:30:17 PM10/9/10

Try this.

Find a .chm file on your hard drive. Right-click it and choose
Properties. It should look like this:

http://edmullen.net/temp/chm_cap.jpg

What does yours say for "Type of file:" and "Opens with:"? If it
doesn't say "Opens with Microsoft HTML Help" then click the Change butto
and select that.

A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.

louise

Oct 9, 2010, 3:20:03 PM10/9/10
I understand your confusion. I too am now confused.

After installing ABC Amber CHM Converter, I am amble to open
every chm file on my computer - even when I choose "open
with Microfoft etc".

I'm going to remove the add-on in FF and I suspsect
everything will be fine now.

I understand there is something a little strange, but if
this utility fixes it without further complications, and if
my machine is "clean", shouldn't I just leave it alone?

Thanks again.

Louise

louise

Oct 9, 2010, 3:28:18 PM10/9/10
I did it - it changed all the file associations from ABC
Amber CHM converter, to Microsoft.

Most files opened perfectly in Microft.

BUT - one that didn't, was a help file from Sysinternals.

So I changed it to ABC Amber and now everything works.

I understand that it should work, and the sysinternals file
is about 2 years old, but it looks to me like the utility
may well be worth the trouble. It's not running except when
I need it.

Louise

louise

Oct 9, 2010, 3:29:27 PM10/9/10
Mostly because I'm happy with ABC Amber CHM converter - I
finally found something that seems to always work - if it
ain't broke.....

Louise

Ed Mullen

Oct 10, 2010, 12:15:12 AM10/10/10

Well, that is entirely up to you. But I wouldn't be satisfied with a
broken Operating System. Windows IS designed to open .chm files without
the need for any third-party utility or browser extension/plugin.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas J.
Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

saeed...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2014, 12:31:45 PM6/7/14
On Thursday, October 7, 2010 4:00:56 PM UTC+3:30, Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 01:59:08 -0400, in message <1KudnZUIq-s3_DDR...@mozilla.org>
> louise wrote:
>
> > I am unable to read any and all .chm files that are offered
> > as help files for various programs and I don't know why -
> > or, how to fix it?
> >
> > Windows 7 64 bit, FF 3.6.10 with an add-on called CHM Reader.
> >
> > I open the file and I get a message that says Navigation to
> > the Webpage was cancelled - you can try retyping the address
> > - which of course doesn't work either.
> >
> > I'm having the same problem with FF and with IE 8.
> >
> > Help please?
>
> 1. Save the .chm file to your hard drive.
>
> 2. Right-click on the saved .chm file, choose "Properties",
> and on the "General" tab click "Unblock" then "OK".
>
> Before you unblock any file which you downloaded from
> the Internet, I would recommend first scanning the file
> for viruses. This includes .chm files.
>
> 3. Now you should be able to open the saved and unblocked
> .chm file.
>
> For more information, see this Microsoft support page:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021383
>

> --
> Regards
> Ralph

thank you i did what you said and it worked so thankx.