Convert %2F, %3F, %3D, etc. ???

Virtual Guy

Nov 18, 2008, 5:58:04 PM11/18/08
Why does FF represent certain HTML symbols or code items as %2F, or %3D,
etc., (example below)

xxx.xxxx.com%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FProductDisplay%3FjspStoreDir%3Dhdus%26catalogId

... and how to I determine what they are supposed to be. Is there a
conversion list somewhere?

Thanks.

VG

Terry R.

Nov 18, 2008, 6:43:29 PM11/18/08
The date and time was 11/18/2008 2:58 PM, and on a whim, Virtual Guy
pounded out on the keyboard:

See here:
http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Convert your questions into the HEX and you'll see what those characters
are.

--
Terry R.

Ron K.

Nov 18, 2008, 6:56:31 PM11/18/08
Virtual Guy on 11/18/2008 5:58 PM, keyboarded a reply:

It's Escape coding where the '%' is the escape code character and the two
characters following it are the Hexadecimal numbering of a font character.
The %3d represents a '=' and %2f is a '/'. Any ASCII Character Code table
should have the conversion of Hex to font character.

--
Ron K.

Alan

Nov 18, 2008, 7:32:50 PM11/18/08
Ron K. wrote:
> Virtual Guy on 11/18/2008 5:58 PM, keyboarded a reply:
>> Why does FF represent certain HTML symbols or code items as %2F, or
>> %3D, etc., (example below)
>>
>> xxx.xxxx.com%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FProductDisplay%3FjspStoreDir%3Dhdus%26catalogId
>>

>> ... and how to I determine what they are supposed to be. Is there a
>> conversion list somewhere?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> VG
>
> It's Escape coding where the '%' is the escape code character and the
> two characters following it are the Hexadecimal numbering of a font
> character. The %3d represents a '=' and %2f is a '/'. Any ASCII
> Character Code table should have the conversion of Hex to font character.

This answered the second question. What is the answer to the
first question: Why does FF .....?

»Q«

Nov 18, 2008, 9:31:52 PM11/18/08
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:32:50 -0700
Alan <temp...@vacationmail.com> wrote:

> Ron K. wrote:
> > Virtual Guy on 11/18/2008 5:58 PM, keyboarded a reply:
> >> Why does FF represent certain HTML symbols or code items as %2F,
> >> or %3D, etc., (example below)
> >>
> >> xxx.xxxx.com%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FProductDisplay%3FjspStoreDir%3Dhdus%26catalogId
> >>
> >> ... and how to I determine what they are supposed to be. Is there
> >> a conversion list somewhere?
> >

> > It's Escape coding where the '%' is the escape code character and
> > the two characters following it are the Hexadecimal numbering of a
> > font character. The %3d represents a '=' and %2f is a '/'. Any
> > ASCII Character Code table should have the conversion of Hex to
> > font character.

Glancing at a table is fine if there are only a couple of decodings to
do, but for more than that I like to use computers. ;)

<http://www.mikezilla.com/exp0012.html> -- the encoded URL goes in the
middle box.

> This answered the second question. What is the answer to the
> first question: Why does FF .....?

There are ASCII characters which must not be used in URLs or must not be
used in certain places in URLs. E.g. the whitespace character must not
be used in a URL. This problem is resolved by using those ASCII
characters's hex encodings, since the % character and the hex digits
are all ok in URLs.

The simplest case is if I need to link to a file but the filename has a
whitespace in it.

Not valid URL syntax:
http://www.example.com/a file.ext

Valid URL syntax:
http://www.example.com/a%20file

Virtual Guy

Nov 19, 2008, 9:13:24 AM11/19/08

Why is each ASCII character preceeded by % (percent)? Example http:// =
%3A%2F%2F ? Is is just a separator or a mark that ASCII will follow?

Thanks

VG

Big_Al

Nov 19, 2008, 9:42:17 AM11/19/08
You must have missed Ron K's message.
The % is what is called an escape character. You 'escape' reality and
go into hex values. For lack of a better layman's explanation.

gabor

Nov 19, 2008, 9:48:32 AM11/19/08

So may I ask a third question...

Is there some plug-in that converts these codes back to ASCII when
saving files for example? I don't like having files called foo%20bar
and often spend a long time prettying up file names as I save them.

Big_Al

Nov 19, 2008, 10:17:38 AM11/19/08

I can't supply you with any. Personally I like them this way. A link
is a link is a link. And putting in the %20 for spaces is more proper
and is generic enough that it works with most if not all programs. If
you copy a long string with spaces in the URL into word for example it
can do a new line wrap at the wrong place. And now instead of
http:\\website\go to this folder\index.html
you get
http:\\website\go to this
folder\index.html ( on a new line)
and it don't work when you click. As a matter of fact you probably go
to http:\\website\go and totally skip the 'to this' part of it let
alone the 'folder\index.html' part.

Tarkus

Nov 19, 2008, 11:13:10 AM11/19/08

He's referring to filenames, not links. He wants files saved in the
original format, and not the ASCII URL equivalent. I think most
external download programs, such as FlashGet, at least usually make the
conversion for you.

Big_Al

Nov 19, 2008, 11:18:14 AM11/19/08
You're right. My bad. I'm right about links, just not his question.

david foster

Nov 20, 2008, 12:27:34 PM11/20/08

Got to admit, these are some of the best explanations I've heard for
this.. thanks! I'll be able to use these for others in my office..

--
David Foster, CNE
Nashville - The Music City

»Q«

Nov 20, 2008, 1:33:50 PM11/20/08
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:31:52 -0600
»Q« <box...@gmx.net> wrote:

> There are ASCII characters which must not be used in URLs or must not
> be used in certain places in URLs. E.g. the whitespace character
> must not be used in a URL. This problem is resolved by using those
> ASCII characters's hex encodings, since the % character and the hex
> digits are all ok in URLs.

Heh, that's all ok up until the "since the % character and the hex
digits are all ok in URLS" part.

To be a lot clearer, the % character is not ok by itself, but it is
ok as the escape character that signals the next two ASCII characters
must be taken as the hex representation of a single character. (Other
people have explained this, but I felt I should tack it on here as
well.)

If a URL needs to have a literal % character, it has to be encoded as
%25.

Pete Holsberg

Nov 20, 2008, 2:11:32 PM11/20/08
to Firefox user help
»Q« has written on 11/20/2008 1:33 PM:
> <snip>

> If a URL needs to have a literal % character, it has to be encoded as
> %25.

Will %% work?

David Pyles

Nov 20, 2008, 2:22:38 PM11/20/08
No.

Ron K.

Nov 20, 2008, 4:28:48 PM11/20/08
»Q« on 11/20/2008 1:33 PM, keyboarded a reply:

The history of using 'Escape' characters goes back farther than PC-DOS 1.0,
probably to CPM. With DOS the'/' character was used to code use of ASCII
teletype control codes for use as Printer Control codes. The principals
are the same, to translate ASCII/ANSI font codes from one usage context to
another.

Pete Holsberg

Nov 20, 2008, 4:41:40 PM11/20/08
to Firefox user help
Ron K. has written on 11/20/2008 4:28 PM:

> »Q« on 11/20/2008 1:33 PM, keyboarded a reply:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 20:31:52 -0600
>> »Q« <box...@gmx.net> wrote:
>>

>>> There are ASCII characters which must not be used in URLs or must not
>>> be used in certain places in URLs. E.g. the whitespace character
>>> must not be used in a URL. This problem is resolved by using those
>>> ASCII characters's hex encodings, since the % character and the hex
>>> digits are all ok in URLs.
>>>
>> Heh, that's all ok up until the "since the % character and the hex
>> digits are all ok in URLS" part.
>>
>> To be a lot clearer, the % character is not ok by itself, but it is
>> ok as the escape character that signals the next two ASCII characters
>> must be taken as the hex representation of a single character. (Other
>> people have explained this, but I felt I should tack it on here as
>> well.)
>>
>> If a URL needs to have a literal % character, it has to be encoded as
>> %25.
>>

> The history of using 'Escape' characters goes back farther than PC-DOS 1.0,
> probably to CPM.

Further than that! I used escape sequences for terminals with Unix more
than 20 years ago.

gabor

Nov 20, 2008, 5:25:12 PM11/20/08

Then some jerk at Microsoft used the Unix escape character as the
filesystem hierarchy separator and life as we now know it began ...

Pete Holsberg

Nov 20, 2008, 6:46:24 PM11/20/08
to Firefox user help
gabor has written on 11/20/2008 5:25 PM:

Well, they couldn't use the slash because Unix had already claimed it!
And for the record, wasn't the backslash used in QDOS, the predecessor
to PCDOS? So you can't blame MS for everything!! ;-)

Hmmm,...maybe QDOS did not have a hierarchical file system!!! OK, we CAN
blame MS for the backslash.

audio...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2013, 5:23:41 AM10/2/13
this is probably some hectic thread necro, but I've just come across this post googling for a similar solution - elsewhere it's been said that you can duplicate a bookmark and replace the URL with the following to create a bookmarklet:

javascript:void(prompt("Unescaped%20URL",unescape(prompt("Enter%20URL%20to%20unescape",""))));

Click the bookmark (you can call it what you want) and you'll get a text box.
Paste it, click the button and copy the resulting converted string!

love2live...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2013, 4:57:28 PM11/12/13
Hi, You can go to this web address to know more information about this issue and you can replace them all by the real symbols and the real characters to get the original links, with thanks and best wishes:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp

Ant

Nov 12, 2013, 11:46:01 PM11/12/13
On 11/12/2013 1:57 PM PT, love2live...@gmail.com typed:

>> Why does FF represent certain HTML symbols or code items as %2F, or %3D,
>> etc., (example below)
>>
>> xxx.xxxx.com%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FProductDisplay%3FjspStoreDir%3Dhdus%26catalogId
>>
>> ... and how to I determine what they are supposed to be. Is there a
>> conversion list somewhere?

> Hi, You can go to this web address to know more information about this issue and you can replace them all by the real symbols and the real characters to get the original links, with thanks and best wishes:
> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp

Wasn't there a about:config setting to show these in the web browser?
--
"I'm not a worker ant. I'm like a queen. Or maybe a king. But you never
hear of king ants." --Sean Bentley