Google Toolbar

Ron Hunter

Jul 10, 2011, 4:14:27 AM7/10/11
I don't use it, and don't recommend it (or ANY third party toolbar), but
I see that Google Toolbar has been updated. The description on
Majorgeeks.com doesn't SAY it is compatible with Firefox 5, but users
can give it a try.

jedikalimero

Jul 11, 2011, 3:45:45 PM7/11/11

When in FF4 I click on about/Update... etc, I get a warning that
GoogleToolbar is still not compatible.
But the same was happening with IE Tabs Plus and the FF Plugins page
says it is compatible, so I updated it and now I only get warnings
from Google Toolbar, not from IE Tabs Plus.
Weird thing is I can't find the official Google Toolbar in the FF
Plugins page!

jedikalimero

Jul 11, 2011, 3:50:06 PM7/11/11
On 10 jul, 10:14, Ron Hunter <rphun...@charter.net> wrote:

Google says they are still working on fixing it, I'm afraid:
http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=1342452

Josh L

Jul 12, 2011, 1:18:03 PM7/12/11

Thanks, it is helpful to have this information. When I and
others engaged in some discussion of this a little while back on
this group, we did get some testy remarks that it is google
territory, but I think part of my response then and now would be
that Mozilla would seem to have a vested interest in making
changes to its browser with some transparency and communication
with all add-on makers. My sense is that indeed Mozilla does
get this as a concept and discussed something recently about a
high percentage of add-ons still working, but if one of the
more-used add-ons from a company with massive resources somehow
still is not working, then perhaps there is inter-company
communication that could go on to help google over the hump.

One counter-argument to this is that I guess google has an
interest in dragging this out in that it could in theory be an
incentive to get some further push to have FF users try Chrome.

Ron Hunter

Jul 12, 2011, 4:53:02 PM7/12/11

Well, Google wants the 'hits' they get from FF users who use Google
Toolbar, so they have some interest in keeping it working for as many FF
users as possible.
Extensions, like Google Toolbar, can hook into program code at a level
which is deeper than is allowed by extensions to IE and Google Chrome,
and thus do much more for the users. The downside of this is that they
are also much more likely to break than extensions that don't delve so
deeply into the code base. This choice is entirely up to Google, as FF
doesn't control that aspect at all.

Torsten Villnow

Jul 13, 2011, 2:03:20 AM7/13/11
Am 11.07.2011 21:50, schrieb jedikalimero:
> Google says they are still working on fixing it, I'm afraid:
> http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=1342452

The toolbar works fine here under FF5, I haven't detected any flaws so
far from a user's perspective. I use the add-on "Nightly Tester Tools"
to disable the compatibility check.

--
Torsten Villnow

MrGatoChile

Jul 13, 2011, 2:07:23 AM7/13/11
El 11/07/2011 03:50 p.m., jedikalimero escribi�:
Deng bookmarks, gmarks

David McRitchie

Jul 22, 2011, 2:08:14 PM7/22/11

"MrGatoChile" <besr.mai...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:-9adneBpFsa-q4DT...@mozilla.org...

Google has removed the ambiguity -- there will be no update of the Google Toolbar to work with Firefox 5 or any later version of
Firefox because Firefox users have most of the features built-in and have alternatives.

Google Toolbar Help: An update on Google Toolbar for Firefox
http://googletoolbarhelp.blogspot.com/2011/07/update-on-google-toolbar-for-firefox.html

Toolbar not available for Firefox 5 or newer versions : - Toolbar Help
http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=1342452&topic=15356%29

For translation and spell checking you do not need an extension at all
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/852325

Message has been deleted

Ron Hunter

Jul 23, 2011, 7:16:15 AM7/23/11
On 7/23/2011 4:00 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what David McRitchie graced us with on
> 7/22/2011 11:08 AM:
> @OP, more at:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20082056-264/mozilla-jumps-to-deal-with-google-toolbar-demise/

I am sure this will inconvenience many people, but I am rather glad to
see it go. It has been the root of so many complaints every time a new
version of FF comes out that I can't work up much sorrow at it no longer
being available.

Sailfish

Jul 23, 2011, 8:00:20 AM7/23/11
7/23/2011 4:16 AM:
I never use it (or any add-on toolbar, for that matter) so I'll not miss
it. If I had to guess, Google decided that it wasn't worth the resources
to keep it maintained considering Firefox's new quick update cycle.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/

Ron Hunter

Jul 23, 2011, 9:32:58 AM7/23/11
I agree, and then they were actually helping the competition. I am sure
they will send a notice to former users of the toolbar to tell them they
can get the same services (tracking their searches, keeping their
bookmarks, etc.) by switching to Google Chrome.

Ralph Fox

Aug 2, 2011, 6:09:45 AM8/2/11
On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 14:08:14 -0400, in message <UpydnaUe9I0hILTT...@mozilla.org>
David McRitchie wrote:

> Google has removed the ambiguity -- there will be no update of the Google Toolbar to work with Firefox 5 or any later version of
> Firefox because Firefox users have most of the features built-in and have alternatives.
>
> Google Toolbar Help: An update on Google Toolbar for Firefox
> http://googletoolbarhelp.blogspot.com/2011/07/update-on-google-toolbar-for-firefox.html
>
> Toolbar not available for Firefox 5 or newer versions : - Toolbar Help
> http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=1342452&topic=15356%29
>
> For translation and spell checking you do not need an extension at all
> https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/852325

Someone at Google needs to be told. :-D

When I use Firefox 5 to report a phishing site, Google's "Report Sent" page
has a Google Toolbar banner in the top left.
<http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT2/intl/en-GB/submit_success.html>

And this Google Toolbar banner has a broken link.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Jay Garcia

Aug 2, 2011, 9:24:45 AM8/2/11
On 02.08.2011 05:09, Ralph Fox wrote:

There will be no update of the Google Toolbar to work with Firefox 5 or

any later version of Firefox because Firefox users have most of the
features built-in and have alternatives.

Google Toolbar Help: An update on Google Toolbar for Firefox
http://googletoolbarhelp.blogspot.com/2011/07/update-on-google-toolbar-for-firefox.html

Toolbar not available for Firefox 5 or newer versions : - Toolbar Help
http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=1342452&topic=15356%29

For translation and spell checking you do not need an extension at all
https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/852325

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion*
www.ufaq.org

Ralph Fox

Aug 2, 2011, 4:29:09 PM8/2/11
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 08:24:45 -0500, in message <NtidncdRX8YGZ6rT...@mozilla.org>
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 02.08.2011 05:09, Ralph Fox wrote:

Google knows, but not everyone at Google knows.
Google is not a one-person company.

> There will be no update of the Google Toolbar to work with Firefox 5 or
> any later version of Firefox because Firefox users have most of the
> features built-in and have alternatives.

Jay, Jay, Jay -- that is what I read and quoted in my previous message.

I was drawing a contrast between (A) that, and (B) how a part of Google
is *still* promoting the Google Toolbar to Firefox 5 user, as evidenced
by the link which I gave.

> Google Toolbar Help: An update on Google Toolbar for Firefox
> http://googletoolbarhelp.blogspot.com/2011/07/update-on-google-toolbar-for-firefox.html
>
> Toolbar not available for Firefox 5 or newer versions : - Toolbar Help
> http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=1342452&topic=15356%29

Yes, yes -- I had already read those links.

Did you read the link which I gave and did you see the banner for the Google Toolbar?
http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT2/intl/en-GB/submit_success.html

Did you see that when you click on the banner for the Google Toolbar, it is
a broken link? It *is* being promoted although it is *not* available.

> For translation and spell checking you do not need an extension at all
> https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/852325

Yes, yes -- I had already read that link.

Did you read the link which I gave and did you see the banner for the Google Toolbar?

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Jay Garcia