Live stream playback

Bret Busby

Dec 5, 2016, 9:32:55 AM12/5/16
to support...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello.

Help -> About Firefox shows that I am running v50.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux
(UbuntuMATE v 16.04).

On the computer that has javascript (bleaghh!) enabled, upon going to
the web page at
https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html
I get the error message
"Your browser does not support Live stream playback".

In going to Tools -> Add-ons , I can not find what would appear to me
to be an applicable add-on to deal with this problem.

What add-on(s) do I need to install, to overcome this problem, so as
to enable me to watch the live streaming?

Thank you in anticipation.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

WaltS48

Dec 5, 2016, 9:53:06 AM12/5/16
to mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
On 12/05/2016 09:32 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Help -> About Firefox shows that I am running v50.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux
> (UbuntuMATE v 16.04).
>
> On the computer that has javascript (bleaghh!) enabled, upon going to
> the web page at
> https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html
> I get the error message
> "Your browser does not support Live stream playback".
>
> In going to Tools -> Add-ons , I can not find what would appear to me
> to be an applicable add-on to deal with this problem.
>
> What add-on(s) do I need to install, to overcome this problem, so as
> to enable me to watch the live streaming?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.

Works fine here in 50.0.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.1, without any extensions
installed. I had to allow Flash.

Maybe you don't have all the operating system parts required installed.
No idea what those might be.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Bret Busby

Dec 5, 2016, 10:32:17 AM12/5/16
to Firefox help community
On 05/12/2016, WaltS48 <thali...@removeaim.com> wrote:
> On 12/05/2016 09:32 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Help -> About Firefox shows that I am running v50.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux
>> (UbuntuMATE v 16.04).
>>
>> On the computer that has javascript (bleaghh!) enabled, upon going to
>> the web page at
>> https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html
>> I get the error message
>> "Your browser does not support Live stream playback".
>>
>> In going to Tools -> Add-ons , I can not find what would appear to me
>> to be an applicable add-on to deal with this problem.
>>
>> What add-on(s) do I need to install, to overcome this problem, so as
>> to enable me to watch the live streaming?
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation.
>>

> Works fine here in 50.0.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.1, without any extensions
> installed. I had to allow Flash.

Okay - I don't have flash.

That may be it ( with a bad error message - usually, an explicit
statement "You do not have flash installed", or something similar, is
displayed).

VanguardLH

Dec 5, 2016, 9:39:40 PM12/5/16
Bret Busby <bret....@gmail.com> on 2016/12/05 wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Help -> About Firefox shows that I am running v50.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux
> (UbuntuMATE v 16.04).
>
> On the computer that has javascript (bleaghh!) enabled, upon going to
> the web page at
> https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html
> I get the error message
> "Your browser does not support Live stream playback".
>
> In going to Tools -> Add-ons , I can not find what would appear to me
> to be an applicable add-on to deal with this problem.
>
> What add-on(s) do I need to install, to overcome this problem, so as
> to enable me to watch the live streaming?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.

Streaming content and scripting for it comes from streamamg.com (which
is obviously not the domain that you visited). From the page code, that
content requires the kaltura player (see http://player.kaltura.com/,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaltura). While they mention a plug-in,
that does not mean it is a plug-in you need to install into your web
browser (aka web browser extension). Plug-ins are also offered
controls, often javascripted, from the site that your web browser needs
to allow to run if you want to access that content.

I didn't bother to look through all the page code to determine how they
should deliver "The Kaltura Dynamic Video Player" plug-in/control to you
and I'm not familiar with how the kaltura player works. It looks like
it is an alternative handler for Flash content or, more likely, is the
CDN (content delivery network) provider for that Flash content. Do you
have Flash enabled, or did you allow it when visiting that site?

I have the Flash plug-in configured "Ask to activate". I allowed it
temporarily at this site (by clicking on the movie camera icon at the
left side of the address bar and clicking on the Allow button). Still
no video. I was hunting around for awhile and then I noticed at the
bottom of the video in its control bar the following:

"Off Air"

Well, if they aren't transmitting then there is nothing I can see.

Bret Busby

Dec 6, 2016, 2:07:30 AM12/6/16
to Firefox help community, mozilla-sup...@lists.mozilla.org
On 06/12/2016, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.lh> wrote:
> Bret Busby <bret....@gmail.com> on 2016/12/05 wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Help -> About Firefox shows that I am running v50.0.2 on Ubuntu Linux
>> (UbuntuMATE v 16.04).
>>
>> On the computer that has javascript (bleaghh!) enabled, upon going to
>> the web page at
>> https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html
>> I get the error message
>> "Your browser does not support Live stream playback".
>>
>> In going to Tools -> Add-ons , I can not find what would appear to me
>> to be an applicable add-on to deal with this problem.
>>
>> What add-on(s) do I need to install, to overcome this problem, so as
>> to enable me to watch the live streaming?
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> Streaming content and scripting for it comes from streamamg.com (which
> is obviously not the domain that you visited). From the page code, that
> content requires the kaltura player (see http://player.kaltura.com/,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaltura). While they mention a plug-in,
> that does not mean it is a plug-in you need to install into your web
> browser (aka web browser extension). Plug-ins are also offered
> controls, often javascripted, from the site that your web browser needs
> to allow to run if you want to access that content.
>
> I didn't bother to look through all the page code to determine how they
> should deliver "The Kaltura Dynamic Video Player" plug-in/control to you
> and I'm not familiar with how the kaltura player works. It looks like
> it is an alternative handler for Flash content or, more likely, is the
> CDN (content delivery network) provider for that Flash content. Do you
> have Flash enabled, or did you allow it when visiting that site?
>
> I have the Flash plug-in configured "Ask to activate". I allowed it
> temporarily at this site (by clicking on the movie camera icon at the
> left side of the address bar and clicking on the Allow button). Still
> no video. I was hunting around for awhile and then I noticed at the
> bottom of the video in its control bar the following:
>
> "Off Air"
>
> Well, if they aren't transmitting then there is nothing I can see.

Thank you for your assistance.

I tried also accessing a SkyNews copy of the live broadcast, which
linked to a YouTube web page, and, in trying to access the skynews
version, because of the smallish video window and the lack of sound
volume controls (that VLC has), I tried to download a copy, using
youtube-dl .

The file showed as being 5.14GB, and, on the computer that has
javascript enabled in Firefox, which computer I had been trying to use
to access the video broadcast, the download got to about 78%, then
failed, with error message "Unable to write data: [Errno 27] File too
large". So, I figured the file size was too big for the system, so, I
tried the download on a GPT (rather than FAT) system, and, got two
separate files downloaded and stored, but, when youtube-dl tried to
merge them, it failed (I assume that youtube-dl also can not handle
such large files. So, I have an mp4 file of 5.14GB, and, an mp4a (?)
file of about 300MB. The former is the video file, and, the latter is
the audio component, but, I can not merge them. It has occurred to me,
while writing this, that I could probably play the video file with a
video player, and, the audio file with an audio player, having to
allow for a slight lag, due to the time difference in opening the two
files (although, it has just occurred to me, I could probably overcome
that, by pausing the video file, to allow the audio file to catch up
with it).

Anyway, as I had since found, in going back to the original source web
page, the web page now has two separate video files; one for the
morning session, and, one for the afternoon session, and, the morning
component file, on the UKSC web page, shows as being about 600MB,
which is a significantly different matter, and, I can now view that.

Apart from that aspect, I had also, in searching around, found and
installed, a gnash SWF player, so, whilst it did not have an effect
after reloading the original web page after installing that gnash
component, that may have (or not) contributed to my ability to now
view the files.

My ability to now view the files, is, I think, more likely due to what
I can now view, being, instead of live streaming, recorded videoclips,
in the mp4 file format, which is more universally accessible.

So, whilst I am still apparently unable to view the live streaming, I
can now view the published recorded videoclips, which, whilst it does
not provide to me, the functionality of viewing live streaming, means
that I am nevertheless, able to view the content, a day later, after
it is published in the accessible mp4 file format.

That, I suppose, is sufficient in this instance, as it allows me to
view the content, but, does not overcome the longer term lack of being
able to view live streaming.\

Perhaps, as apparently, the particular web site uses a proprietary
live streaming format, if I in future, seek to view live streaming
material that is in non-proprietary format, or, more easily accessible
format, I may be able to view it.

Bret Busby

Dec 6, 2016, 2:07:30 AM12/6/16