firefox window suddenly resizes, even when maximized

Margo Guda

Feb 14, 2010, 10:33:18 AM2/14/10
Hello,

I'm using firefox 3.6 on windows 7 (build 7100) and I am noticing strange
behavior in FF since upgrading from 3.5.7. I am looking at a number of
different tabs, nothing special going on, and these are all sites I have
visited numerous times before with no issues. There is nothing systematic in
what happens, which is that at random times, the FF window will
spontaneously resize itself to about half the size it was (it is always the
same, smaller, size). Sometimes after this happens it will let me resize the
window again, other times it jumps right back to the small window.
What could cause this behavior, irrespective of the active tab? so that I
have an idea where to start looking.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Margo Guda.

David McRitchie

Feb 14, 2010, 11:19:56 AM2/14/10
"Margo Guda" <mhg...@cura.net> wrote in message news:rdidnVFQFvldiuXW...@mozilla.org...
> have an idea where to start looking. // Margo Guda

Windows-7 has Winkey+arrowkey that will align an approximately half
screen width window to either side with full height. Not something that would
happen accidentally.

If you are using a laptop and using a mouse perhaps brushing on the mouse pad
might move the cursor through the top of the window if you have options that
would maximize or return to normal, more directly with F11, or with
Alt+Spacebar then options.

When this happens do you lose any of the toolbars, if so when. Hiding toolbars
would be normal for maximize, but losing a toolbar on restore (to normal window)
should show all your normal toolbars again.

Margo Guda

Feb 14, 2010, 9:46:06 PM2/14/10

I think you misunderstood, I probably wasn't clear enough. What happens is
not that the window snaps to one side of the screen or the other; rather,
the window gets resized both horizontally and vertically; my estimate is
that the resulting size, in area, is about half the original, almost but not
quite full screen size. I don't loose any toolbars in the process.
I am now trying to see if disabling java script resizing windows will help -
this must somehow have become re-enabled, because I had disabled that option.
This happens on my desktop machine enough times to be an annoyance. Of the
laptop right now I don't remember, probably not but I'm not sure. But I AM
however sure on my desktop it happens when I'm not touching my mouse or
keyboard - or I may have my mouse in hand, but certainly not pushing any of
the buttons. It is something that happens without, I'm positive, any
keypress or mouseclick from me. (My keyboard is positioned in such a way
that accidental keypress, when not typing text, is virtually impossible).

Christoph Schmees

Feb 15, 2010, 6:38:03 AM2/15/10
Margo Guda schrieb:

> I am now trying to see if disabling java script resizing windows will
> help - this must somehow have become re-enabled, because I had disabled
> that option.
> This happens on my desktop machine enough times to be an annoyance. Of
> the laptop right now I don't remember, probably not but I'm not sure.
> But I AM however sure on my desktop it happens when I'm not touching my
> mouse or keyboard - or I may have my mouse in hand, but certainly not
> pushing any of the buttons. It is something that happens without, I'm
> positive, any keypress or mouseclick from me. (My keyboard is positioned
> in such a way that accidental keypress, when not typing text, is
> virtually impossible).

HW issue? Run memtest.

Malware aboard? That may be hard to spot. Run booting CD with a scanner. I
know of at least DGata, Avira and f-secure offering those for free DL.
Good luck, keep us informed!

Ron Hunter

Feb 15, 2010, 5:15:12 PM2/15/10

Do you have Java empowered to change your screen size? I don't allow
that. Haven't seen the symptom...

--
Ron Hunter -- rphu...@charter.net

Margo Guda

Feb 16, 2010, 8:22:02 PM2/16/10

I did, and have removed it. Since then, the problem has gone away.
Therefore, a simple java problem, not malware, happily.
Thanks to all who responded.

Ron Hunter

Feb 16, 2010, 9:18:55 PM2/16/10

Glad I could help. I am sure there may be times when it might be an
advantage for a JavaScript to be able to change a window size, but
somehow I like to retain a bit more control of my computer.....

Margo Guda

Feb 18, 2010, 11:06:27 PM2/18/10

I know what you mean, and normally I would have that particular control
turned off. I think I can reconstruct what happened. I was trying to update
firefox, and somehow could not get the download from the update server to
work, so I got the full install and installed over my old installation. My
profile was kept, but I think this must have been one of those settings that
did get reset. Because I distinctly remember at one (much earlier) occasion
turning *off* the possibility for javascript to change window size, and
several other things (like context menus). That's why I didn't look there...