Want To Change Default Search Engine To Google

tb

Dec 28, 2012, 4:21:03 PM12/28/12
I am using Linux Mint Debian Edition v. 201204 (64-bit) and Firefox 17.0.

Right now, the default search engine (located in the top right-hand
corner, next to the address bar) is Yahoo.

I would like to set such default search engine to _Google_, but the
other options in the pull-down menu are Amazon.com, DuckDuckGo, and
Wikipedia (en). Selecting Manage Search Engines and doing a search for
Google brings up a ton of choices and I do not know which one to pick.

What exactly do I need to do in order to select _Google_ as my default
search engine?
--
tb

Bill Braun

Dec 28, 2012, 4:29:08 PM12/28/12
Just after the logo and before the word Google is a small down arrow.
Click on that and select "Manage Search Engines". Highlight Google and
use Move Up to put it in the top spot.

Bill

tb

Dec 28, 2012, 4:46:15 PM12/28/12
On 12/28/2012 03:29 PM, Bill Braun wrote:

> Just after the logo and before the word Google is a small down arrow.
> Click on that and select "Manage Search Engines". Highlight Google and
> use Move Up to put it in the top spot.
>
> Bill

Unfortunately the only choices that I have are Yahoo, Amazon.com,
DuckDuckGo, and Wikipedia (en). Google is not among the choices...
--
tb

Bill Braun

Dec 28, 2012, 4:52:15 PM12/28/12
Open up the Search Engine Manager again and in the lower left corner is
a link "Get more search engines". I've never used it so I am hard
pressed to give any more guidance.

Bill

Bill Braun

Dec 28, 2012, 5:08:55 PM12/28/12
On 12/28/2012 4:46 PM, tb wrote:
Try going to google.com, then click on the down arrow. Does it give you
the option to add google?

Bill

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dec 28, 2012, 5:15:00 PM12/28/12
tb wrote:

> Unfortunately the only choices that I have are Yahoo, Amazon.com,
> DuckDuckGo, and Wikipedia (en). Google is not among the choices...

Maybe that is for the best. Google tracks what you do, and saves it. (So
does Bing.) Use DuckDuckGo instead for private searching

http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216377-no-tracking

<quote>
DuckDuckGo does not store any personal information, e.g. IP addresses or
user agents: see our privacy policy for details. We also have an
encrypted (SSL) version, two non-JS versions (HTML & lite), aTor hidden
service (about), several privacy settings (including POST & RefControl),
and we allow you to use URL parameters instead of cookies to store
settings.

We've tried to explain the consequences of tracking as it applies to
search results in our donttrack.us and dontbubble.us infographics.
</quote>

Normally, I use https://ixquick.com/
--
-bts

tb

Dec 28, 2012, 5:16:52 PM12/28/12
On 12/28/2012 03:52 PM, Bill Braun wrote:

> Open up the Search Engine Manager again and in the lower left corner is
> a link "Get more search engines". I've never used it so I am hard
> pressed to give any more guidance.
>
> Bill

Did that already. A search for Google brings up a gazillion results and
I do not know which one to pick.
--
tb

tb

Dec 28, 2012, 5:17:17 PM12/28/12
On 12/28/2012 04:08 PM, Bill Braun wrote:

> Try going to google.com, then click on the down arrow. Does it give you
> the option to add google?
>
> Bill

No...
--
tb

Dave Pyles

Dec 28, 2012, 5:25:35 PM12/28/12

tb

Dec 28, 2012, 10:54:52 PM12/28/12
On 12/28/2012 04:25 PM, Dave Pyles wrote:

> Try this one:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-default/
>
> Dave Pyles

Thanks, Dave. That solved the problem.
--
tb

Dave Pyles

Dec 29, 2012, 8:52:21 AM12/29/12
Great! That was a guess but it was the only one that had "default" in
the title.
Dave

Christoph Schmees

Dec 29, 2012, 11:20:56 AM12/29/12
+1

I would strongly discourage google. They track you literally
everywhere. No need to enrich their dossier about you with your
searches. Use duckduckgo, startpage or ixquick. I for one use
ixquick.

Christoph

--
email:
nurfuerspam -> gmx

Dec 29, 2012, 1:22:51 PM12/29/12
to mozilla firefox support

On 12/29/2012 04:20 PM, Christoph Schmees wrote:
<>

> I would strongly discourage google. They track you literally
> everywhere. No need to enrich their dossier about you with your
> searches. Use duckduckgo, startpage or ixquick. I for one use
> ixquick.

only differance i see, homepage wise, between startpage.com
and ixquick.com, is that startpage.com has "enhanced by google"
after the search bar.

would this tend to mean that if anything goes thru google,
all google will see is that startpage.com does a lot of
google searches? :-)

even the "private" pages read similar.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

signature.asc

tb

Dec 29, 2012, 7:55:06 PM12/29/12
On 12/28/2012 04:15 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> Normally, I use https://ixquick.com/

It's great that search engines like Ixquick and StartPage exist, but I
have my doubts that they will survive for long in the current form.

I think that advertisers will be putting more and more pressure on them
to start collecting/analyzing search-related data.

Providers of ads are way too hungry for this kind of information and
targeted advertising is what they all are pursuing.

Just the opinion of a layman...
--
tb