Opening Downloads automatically.

Big_Al

Oct 29, 2010, 2:08:46 PM10/29/10
In FF 3.6.12 in Win XP I've got a long time issue over many versions.
When I click on a web page link to a file that will be downloaded,
displayed or whatever, I still seem to get the dialog to either
save/open/cancel and of course the "do this all the time" checkbox.

I've checked the box but I still get this later. The box is still
checked the second time but it won't do it. What am I doing wrong.
And I guess the 2nd half of this is, if I get FF to bypass this dialog,
how do you get it back if your desires change.

Also in the same vain, PNG image type (I think) don't show the viewer in
the title, but it shows "browse". However clicking open does not
browse, but opens the right viewer and the image for me. Again, any
ideas how to get program xxx to be the viewer and show the viewer.

NOTE: The latter issue has less impact, its just a "why don't it work
right" thinggy. I've recently just reloaded the PC from a format
and I'm pretty sure now its not any of my screwing around with settings
issues. Normally I've played so much with the software that I'm never
sure its me or the program.

Thanks. AL.

Terry R.

Oct 29, 2010, 2:27:59 PM10/29/10
On 10/29/2010 11:08 AM On a whim, Big_Al pounded out on the keyboard

> In FF 3.6.12 in Win XP I've got a long time issue over many versions.
> When I click on a web page link to a file that will be downloaded,
> displayed or whatever, I still seem to get the dialog to either
> save/open/cancel and of course the "do this all the time" checkbox.
>
> I've checked the box but I still get this later. The box is still
> checked the second time but it won't do it. What am I doing wrong.
> And I guess the 2nd half of this is, if I get FF to bypass this dialog,
> how do you get it back if your desires change.
>
> Also in the same vain, PNG image type (I think) don't show the viewer in
> the title, but it shows "browse". However clicking open does not
> browse, but opens the right viewer and the image for me. Again, any
> ideas how to get program xxx to be the viewer and show the viewer.

Good play on words...

> NOTE: The latter issue has less impact, its just a "why don't it work
> right" thinggy. I've recently just reloaded the PC from a format
> and I'm pretty sure now its not any of my screwing around with settings
> issues. Normally I've played so much with the software that I'm never
> sure its me or the program.
>
> Thanks. AL.

Hi Al,

Type about:config in the Address bar and search for download. Check the
settings and see if anything looks like it may be causing the behavior
you are seeing.

Terry R.

goodwin

Oct 29, 2010, 8:01:15 PM10/29/10
Have you set default applications via >tools>options>applications ?

Doesn't sound like PNG has been assigned any app. This doesn't excuse
why the "do this all the time" dialog doesn't work, though...

Alex K.

Oct 30, 2010, 7:59:21 AM10/30/10
On 10/29/2010 2:08 PM, Big_Al wrote:
> In FF 3.6.12 in Win XP I've got a long time issue over many versions.
> When I click on a web page link to a file that will be downloaded,
> displayed or whatever, I still seem to get the dialog to either
> save/open/cancel and of course the "do this all the time" checkbox.
>
> I've checked the box but I still get this later. The box is still
> checked the second time but it won't do it. What am I doing wrong. And I
> guess the 2nd half of this is, if I get FF to bypass this dialog, how do
> you get it back if your desires change.
>
> Also in the same vain, PNG image type (I think) don't show the viewer in
> the title, but it shows "browse". However clicking open does not browse,
> but opens the right viewer and the image for me. Again, any ideas how to
> get program xxx to be the viewer and show the viewer.

You'll have to provide a link where you see this happening, but I
suspect that the culprit is/are the site(s) sending the image/files with
a mime-type of application/octet-stream.

FF does not handle media according to file extension, but rather by the
mime-type sent with the media. For example, if a site sends a PNG
image, but with the mime-type application/octet-stream, then FF will
*always* ask you, every time, what to do with it. Because
application/octet-stream can represent executable programs, FF will not
'remember' an action for that mime-type.

On the other hand, if it is sent correctly, with a mime-type of
image/png, it should display in the browser without prompting, such as
the one here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikinews-logo.png

You don't mention the other file types you are having trouble with, so
it's hard to say if it could be the same situation or not. If you
provide a couple that are giving you trouble, we may be able to figure
it out.

--
Alex K.

Janet Wider

Oct 30, 2010, 8:20:50 PM10/30/10

I am having the very same problem as the OP. I posted it but it must
have gotten lost. I can't get FF to automatically open JPEG files. I
have checked my application settings and they all have a correct program
(Irfanview) as the application to use. Irfanview is also the "default"
application.

My problem with JPEG files happens whenever there is an attached JPEG in
my email. If it helps any, I use Yahoo Mail, the old version.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Alex K.

Oct 31, 2010, 10:27:26 AM10/31/10
On 10/30/2010 8:20 PM, Janet Wider wrote:

> I am having the very same problem as the OP. I posted it but it must
> have gotten lost. I can't get FF to automatically open JPEG files. I
> have checked my application settings and they all have a correct program
> (Irfanview) as the application to use. Irfanview is also the "default"
> application.
>
> My problem with JPEG files happens whenever there is an attached JPEG in
> my email. If it helps any, I use Yahoo Mail, the old version.

Interesting. Using FF 3.6.12, I see a similar behavior in Gmail.

I sent myself an empty, plain text email with a jpeg attached. I also
set FF to open jpeg images with Windows Photo Gallery.

When I go to my Gmail account using FF & open that email, I get a
reduced size presentation of the image & two options, view & download.

If I click 'view', a new window opens & I see the full size image.

If I click 'download', I get a 'what do you want to do?" dialog, even
though 'Open with: Windows Photo Gallery (default)', with the 'do this
every time' box checked. So I clicked 'OK', to establish the 'do it
every time' behavior.

I closed & restarted FF, then went back to Gmail & opened that same email.

Clicking on 'download' still presented the 'what to you want to do?'
dialog, in spite of being told, above, to always open with Windows Photo
Gallery.

OK, after a little searching, I found this:

<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+file+types?style_mode=inproduct#Adding_download_actions>

Under step 5, is this statement:

"Is Do this automatically for files like this from now on disabled? This
can happen if the website's server incorrectly specifies the content
type of the file. It also can happen if the server assigns

Now, in my case, at least, 'Do this automatically ...' is not greyed
out, however, when clicking 'download' Gmail appears to be sending
the 'download' link, which contains, among much more, this part:

disp=attd

which I'm assuming is their shorthand for 'Content-Disposition: attachment'.

The link for 'view' contains this part:

disp=inline

Which would appear to be their shorthand for 'Content-Disposition:
inline', which causes the image to be displayed in the browser.

It is quite possible that this is the OP's situation, as well.

--
Alex K.

Fox on the run

Oct 31, 2010, 1:54:52 PM10/31/10
On Oct 31, 12:27 pm, "Alex K." <akfro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/2010 8:20 PM, Janet Wider wrote:
>
> > I am having the very same problem as the OP. I posted it but it must
> > have gotten lost. I can't get FF to automatically open JPEG files. I
> > have checked my application settings and they all have a correct program
> > (Irfanview) as the application to use. Irfanview is also the "default"
> > application.
>
> > My problem with JPEG files happens whenever there is an attached JPEG in
> > my email. If it helps any, I use Yahoo Mail, the old version.
>
> Interesting.  Using FF 3.6.12, I see a similar behavior in Gmail.
>
> I sent myself an empty, plain text email with a jpeg attached.  I also
> set FF to open jpeg images with Windows Photo Gallery.
>
> When I go to my Gmail account using FF & open that email, I get a
> reduced size presentation of the image & two options, view & download.
>
> If I click 'view', a new window opens & I see the full size image.
>
> If I click 'download', I get a 'what do you want to do?" dialog, even
> though 'Open with: Windows Photo Gallery (default)', with the 'do this
> every time' box checked.  So I clicked 'OK', to establish the 'do it
> every time' behavior.
>
> I closed & restarted FF, then went back to Gmail & opened that same email.
>
> Clicking on 'download' still presented the 'what to you want to do?'
> dialog, in spite of being told, above, to always open with Windows Photo
> Gallery.
>
> OK, after a little searching, I found this:
>
> <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+file+types?style_mode=in...>

> Under step 5, is this statement:
>
> "Is Do this automatically for files like this from now on disabled? This
> can happen if the website's server incorrectly specifies the content
> type of the file. It also can happen if the server assigns
>
> Now, in my case, at least, 'Do this automatically ...' is not greyed
> out, however, when clicking 'download' Gmail appears to be sending
> the 'download' link, which contains, among much more, this part:
>
> disp=attd
>
> which I'm assuming is their shorthand for 'Content-Disposition: attachment'.
>
> The link for 'view' contains this part:
>
> disp=inline
>
> Which would appear to be their shorthand for 'Content-Disposition:
> inline', which causes the image to be displayed in the browser.
>
> It is quite possible that this is the OP's situation, as well.
>
> --
> Alex K.

Interesting info. You may have noticed as well, but that is the only
difference between the two URLS (view & download). I found this:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/09/download-compressed-attachments-in.html

which tells you you can put indzip after disp= and that will cause the
single image to be downloaded as a zip file. I suspect that the
"Content=Disposition: attachment" that is noted in the Mozilla link
you provided is something in the packet which you would see via a
packet sniffer, so may not be something you can change via the URL.

JB

Janet Wider

Oct 31, 2010, 5:06:27 PM10/31/10
On 10/31/2010 12:54 PM, Fox on the run wrote:
> [...]

>> disp=inline
>>
>> Which would appear to be their shorthand for 'Content-Disposition:
>> inline', which causes the image to be displayed in the browser.
>>
>> It is quite possible that this is the OP's situation, as well.
>>
>> --
>> Alex K.
>
> Interesting info. You may have noticed as well, but that is the only
> difference between the two URLS (view& download). I found this:

> http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/09/download-compressed-attachments-in.html
>
> which tells you you can put indzip after disp= and that will cause the
> single image to be downloaded as a zip file. I suspect that the
> "Content=Disposition: attachment" that is noted in the Mozilla link
> you provided is something in the packet which you would see via a
> packet sniffer, so may not be something you can change via the URL.

I understand none of the above. Is there a fix for this situation or do
we just have to live with it?

If there is a fix, can someone describe it in steps that can be followed
by a grandmother?

Thank you.

Big_Al

Oct 31, 2010, 6:47:34 PM10/31/10
Alex K. said this on 10/31/2010 10:27 AM:

This has nothing to do with Email. Its FF and its handling of links etc.

But to answer older posts, here is a link
http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/41116/128/christmas_gift_present_icon

I can click the download PNG and today I'm getting Image Ready as a open
with. And this is okay, since I just loaded Photoshop last night.
However if I click download ico, It does not show icofx as the program
but shows "browse". Yet when I click "open" it will open the ICO file
with icofx and I see the Icon.

This is the problem I'm having and it may not be me. Just ignore
the "always do this" checkbox. I'm not sure I want to get out on a
limb right now.

Big_Al

Oct 31, 2010, 6:47:50 PM10/31/10

Alex K.

Nov 1, 2010, 8:39:31 AM11/1/10
On 10/31/2010 5:06 PM, Janet Wider wrote:
<snip long technical explanation>

> I understand none of the above. Is there a fix for this situation or do
> we just have to live with it?

As far as I can tell, we just have to live with it.

--
Alex K.

Janet Wider

Nov 1, 2010, 9:20:50 AM11/1/10

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Fox on the run

Nov 1, 2010, 1:04:50 PM11/1/10

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I didn't have FF on the system I was on
and it wasn't mine so didn't want to install it to test. I tested it
on my own system and observed the same behaviour you noted. I'll try
to explain what I meant by the info in the packets.

When you click on that attachment to download it your browser will
send the request to the web server. Your browser sends a GET
command. This is not something you control or worry about. As an end
user you click on something and it works. But behind the scenes there
is a lot going on. As I said, in this case your browser does a GET
command to get the content you've requested by clicking on a link.

When the server responds, part of its response contains the following:

Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0

Of course the file name of the .jpg will vary. I used one of the MS
Windows sample pictures to do this test. Here we see the type of web
server running (Microsoft IIS). But particularly important is that
third line that has "Content-Disposition: attachment".

This is something which you do not control. Alex provided some good
information including the following which essentially explains when/
why checking that box does not work.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing%2Bfile%2Btypes%3Fstyle_mode%3Dinproduct%23Adding_download_actions&usg=AFQjCNFZSWYlJKQUrVbdus2dDlfPTbKW8Q

Under step 5, is this statement:

"Is Do this automatically for files like this from now on disabled?
This
can happen if the website's server incorrectly specifies the content
type of the file. It also can happen if the server assigns

Note that when the server assigns "Content-Disposition:attachment" to
a file, Firefox will not open it automatically but will prompt you
with that window each time. In the short excerpt I provided earlier I
show the part in the packet where the server tells your browser
browser this, your browser will consistently respond by putting up
that window to prompt you to either save or open it. The checkbox to
not ask again is ignored.

In the case of my test it was done with another mail provider but the
idea is the same with gmail.

Thus a technical explanation in reasonably plain language explaining
why it doesn't work. It's because of the way the server replies to
your request to view the attachment. Who is right/wrong? I don't
know if either are wrong. When clicking on an email attachment it
makes sense that the server would respond back and let your browser
know that what it just sent is an attachment.

JB

Janet Wider

Nov 1, 2010, 6:08:09 PM11/1/10

I think I followed most of what you wrote.

Can you please answer me this? Why did it used to work perfectly and
stopped working a few months ago?

I sent myself an email with a JPEG attachment from my Yahoo account to
my Yahoo account and it still wouldn't open correctly.

Is there a possibility of getting this fixed with the next version?

I would submit it to the builder-guys, but I wouldn't have a clue as to
how to phrase it. Hopefully some of the will read this.

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate it.

Fox on the run

Nov 1, 2010, 6:26:44 PM11/1/10
> >http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...

I honestly don't know why it worked before but not anymore. Whether
it's the webmail services that changed how they do it, or if it's FF
that changed I don't know. Perhaps one or the other changed in order
to be more compliant with a standard. Or perhaps it was changed for
security reasons (to better protect against possible malware injected
in an attachment).

JB

Janet Wider

Nov 1, 2010, 10:39:46 PM11/1/10
On 11/1/2010 5:26 PM, Fox on the run wrote:

> I honestly don't know why it worked before but not anymore. Whether
> it's the webmail services that changed how they do it, or if it's FF
> that changed I don't know. Perhaps one or the other changed in order
> to be more compliant with a standard. Or perhaps it was changed for
> security reasons (to better protect against possible malware injected
> in an attachment).

That would make sense except that all of my other downloads work. DOC
files open in Open Office, the designated default. Powerpoint files open
in Open Office as do Excell files. PDF files open in Adobe PDF reader.
The only files that don't open properly are the JPEG files with the
default of Irfanview. I can try changing the program to the windows one
or to Adobe Elements and see what happens.

Janet Wider

Nov 2, 2010, 11:37:23 AM11/2/10
I changed the photo viewing program and it did not work.

Ron Hunter

Nov 2, 2010, 1:18:12 PM11/2/10
I am not sure about the cause of your problem, but it is worth noting
that .jpg (JPEG) files are natively decoded and displayed by Firefox. I
believe that you would only be able to send the files downloaded to the
external program, not the ones on the web page. If that is what you
are trying to do, you would have the same problem with .GIF and .png
files, all of which are also natively decoded by FF.

Janet Wider

Nov 2, 2010, 9:37:54 PM11/2/10
I am trying to open attachments to my email. Every type of attachment
opens fine except for JPEG files. FF keeps asking me which program I
want to use to open the files. The options section is correctly set up.
The check box for always using that program to open that type of file is
not working.

John McWilliams

Nov 2, 2010, 11:57:59 PM11/2/10

Try choosing a different application (program), close TB, then reopen
and re-choose what you want. (After checking that you have the uptodate
version of it.)

--
john mcwilliams

Ron Hunter

Nov 3, 2010, 3:40:54 AM11/3/10
Try making your desired external program the default for jpeg files in
Windows XP file types.

Fox on the run

Nov 3, 2010, 9:10:20 AM11/3/10

Actually Janet is talking about webmail, not POP.

JB

Janet Wider

Nov 3, 2010, 8:32:14 PM11/3/10

I'm not using TB for email. I'm using FF and my email is from yahoo.

Janet Wider

Nov 3, 2010, 8:32:46 PM11/3/10
It already is. FF shows it as the default in the options>applications.

John McWilliams

Nov 3, 2010, 8:52:53 PM11/3/10

Apologies for earlier referencing TB when I meant to say FF. Do try what
I suggested, that is, change the app to another one, quit FF, then
rechoose what you want. Make sure you also have the latest version of
whatever.

--
john mcwilliams

Janet Wider

Nov 4, 2010, 5:18:27 PM11/4/10

I have already tried that, changing the app to 1) windows default
picture viewer and 2) Adobe Elements. It still doesn't work.