Mozilla ActiveX Control and Plugin Support

Daddy

Oct 19, 2009, 1:32:13 PM10/19/09
I noticed the subject plug-in on my copy of FF 3.5.3 (running on WinXP
SP 3.)

I wonder if I should be concerned about this, because one of the many
reasons I use Firefox is to avoid ActiveX controls. On the other hand, I
also use the IE Tab plug-in...maybe that needs ActiveX support?

Clearly out of my depth here and could use some advice.

Daddy

Terry R.

Oct 19, 2009, 1:54:46 PM10/19/09
On 10/19/2009 10:32 AM On a whim, Daddy pounded out on the keyboard

I have IE Tab (that also uses a plug-in). I don't have the one you listed.

A Google search revealed this, among others:
http://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/codestock99/mozcontrol/mozcontrol_files/v3_document.htm

Don't really know why you'd have it...

Terry R.

Bernd

Oct 19, 2009, 7:02:27 PM10/19/09

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Using IE Tab is the same as using IE, it's only a comfortable way to
switch to IE (and back).
So the risks are the same.

Bernd

Daddy

Oct 19, 2009, 7:04:25 PM10/19/09

Makes sense. Thank you.

Daddy

Ron Hunter

Oct 19, 2009, 8:31:40 PM10/19/09
True, but I don't have to put up with IE's horrible user interface....

Terry R.

Oct 19, 2009, 9:22:43 PM10/19/09
On 10/19/2009 4:02 PM On a whim, Bernd pounded out on the keyboard

It doesn't answer the question though. The plugin isn't installed by IETab.

Daddy

Oct 19, 2009, 9:39:17 PM10/19/09
Terry R. wrote:
> On 10/19/2009 4:02 PM On a whim, Bernd pounded out on the keyboard
>

>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>
>>> I noticed the subject plug-in on my copy of FF 3.5.3 (running on
>>> WinXP SP 3.)
>>>
>>> I wonder if I should be concerned about this, because one of the many
>>> reasons I use Firefox is to avoid ActiveX controls. On the other
>>> hand, I also use the IE Tab plug-in...maybe that needs ActiveX support?
>>>
>>> Clearly out of my depth here and could use some advice.
>>>
>>> Daddy
>>
>> Using IE Tab is the same as using IE, it's only a comfortable way to
>> switch to IE (and back).
>> So the risks are the same.
>>
>> Bernd
>
> It doesn't answer the question though. The plugin isn't installed by
> IETab.
>

> Terry R.

Now that I have uninstalled the IE Tab add-on, 'Mozilla ActiveX Control
and Plugin Support' no longer appears in the list of installed plug-ins.

So now I have to actually open Internet Explorer to use Internet
Explorer. For as much as I use IE...who cares? (Rhetorical question.)

Daddy

Terry R.

Oct 19, 2009, 10:04:05 PM10/19/09
On 10/19/2009 6:39 PM On a whim, Daddy pounded out on the keyboard

Like I had said early on, I have IE Tab installed and I do not have the
AX plugin as you had.

Tarkus

Oct 19, 2009, 11:50:21 PM10/19/09

Same here.