Can't enable Java

2 313 vues

C A Upsdell

non lue,
24 oct. 2010, 09:06:3124/10/2010
Firefox 3.6.11 with the latest version of the JRE, but Java is not
enabled in FF and I can't figure out how to enable it. I reinstalled
Java: no change. Troubleshooting reveals this:

1. Firefox does not have the Java plugin. On-line info about fixing
Java problems assumes that the Java plugin is installed, but it isn't,
so the solution to my problem probably involves *somehow* getting the
missing plugin installed.

2. In the Java Control Panel "Advanced" tab there are "Default Java for
browsers" options with the "Mozilla family" entry not enabled. If I
click on "Mozilla family" to enable it, then click "Apply", it does not
stick: closing and reopening the Java Control Panel reveals that
"Mozilla family", which I had just enabled, is no longer enabled.

3. Java works fine in IE 8.

How can I enable Java in FF?

Tarkus

non lue,
24 oct. 2010, 09:24:4224/10/2010

Was FF closed when you tried to install/enable Java?

C A Upsdell

non lue,
24 oct. 2010, 10:07:1124/10/2010

Yes, closed. Also closed when I ran the Java Control Panel.

Jay Garcia

non lue,
24 oct. 2010, 10:11:3224/10/2010

On 2010-10-24 12:28, Jay Garcia wrote:

>>> Control Panel => Java => Advanced tab => Java Plugin .. Make sure the
>>> box is checked "Enable .......".
>>
>> It is enabled. (This option is dim, hence cannot be disabled.)
>
> Have you removed all previous versions of Java? May as well do that as
> well as removing the latest, reboot and then install just the latest
> JRE. When rebooting, make sure that no apps are auto-loading especially
> any AV applications.

Just as I was about to reboot my PC, I suddenly had an inspiration:
when I installed the lastest JVE recently, because I have the 64-bit
version of Windows 7, I installed the *64-bit* version of the JRE. Just
now I installed the 32-bit version of the JRE as well, and Firefox
recognizes *that*.

So my problem is fixed. Thanks for your help.

(Which leaves open this question: from now on, am I going to have to
install both the 32- and 64-bit versions of the JRE every time the JRE
is updated? Or will the 32-bit version suffice? I suspect the former,
in order to support things like the 64-bit version of IE.)

goodwin

non lue,
24 oct. 2010, 15:43:4624/10/2010

You didn't mention whether or not you went to the Sun/Oracle website -
you may want to look at this if you didn't -
http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml
I just went through Java hell with linux but for a different reason. If
you're interested, you can browse around that site and confuse the hell
out of yourself, specifically the 64/32 bit issue with IE. Since
Firefox doesn't have a 64 bit yet, it figures that you need 32 bit Java
for it, not to mention the special plugin, which you didn't mention.

C A Upsdell

non lue,
24 oct. 2010, 16:26:0224/10/2010
On 2010-10-24 15:43, goodwin wrote:
>> Just as I was about to reboot my PC, I suddenly had an inspiration: when
>> I installed the lastest JVE recently, because I have the 64-bit version
>> of Windows 7, I installed the *64-bit* version of the JRE. Just now I
>> installed the 32-bit version of the JRE as well, and Firefox recognizes
>> *that*.
>>
>> So my problem is fixed. Thanks for your help.
>>
>> (Which leaves open this question: from now on, am I going to have to
>> install both the 32- and 64-bit versions of the JRE every time the JRE
>> is updated? Or will the 32-bit version suffice? I suspect the former, in
>> order to support things like the 64-bit version of IE.)
>>
> You didn't mention whether or not you went to the Sun/Oracle website -
> you may want to look at this if you didn't -
> http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml
> I just went through Java hell with linux but for a different reason. If
> you're interested, you can browse around that site and confuse the hell
> out of yourself, specifically the 64/32 bit issue with IE. Since Firefox
> doesn't have a 64 bit yet, it figures that you need 32 bit Java for it,
> not to mention the special plugin, which you didn't mention.

I had gone to the Oracle site for help with my problem, however: (1)
much of the information about problems with Java and Firefox relates to
old versions of Firefox (e.g. referring to menu items and options which
no longer exist); and (2) it never mentioned the 32/64-bit issue. I'm
sure that the 32/64-bit issue is discussed somewhere, but not in the FAQ
I found about troubleshooting disabled Java problems.

As for the Firefox plugin: it finally appeared when I installed the
32-bit version of the JRE.

0 nouveau message