ebay looks totally messed up on firefox right now

Julian

Nov 28, 2006, 6:43:53 PM11/28/06
Hello all,

Since yesterday, I noticed that the ebay website looks totally different on
firefox (2.0) on my computer (the home page itself looks visibly different!)
It was fine before that. it looks ok on IE7.
I talked to ebay customer support and they said that nothing has changed on
their end... (and also that 'ebay recommends using IE 6.0')

now, I just want to confirm if this is how its behaving for all firefox
users or is something wrong with my computer...

thanks,
Julian.
P.S. I just realized that facebook.com is also behaving differently - the
photo albums looks different.

jasee

Nov 29, 2006, 11:27:10 AM11/29/06
Julian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Since yesterday, I noticed that the ebay website looks totally
> different on firefox (2.0) on my computer (the home page itself looks
> visibly different!) It was fine before that. it looks ok on IE7.
> I talked to ebay customer support and they said that nothing has
> changed on their end... (and also that 'ebay recommends using IE 6.0')
>
> now, I just want to confirm if this is how its behaving for all
> firefox users or is something wrong with my computer...

Ebay has changed:
"As online shopping evolves, eBay continues to focus on preserving our
marketplace's open and level playingfield whilst protecting our Community of
members. We have decided to change how bid history information is displayed
so unscrupulous people cannot target bidders with fake offers using this
information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to see
other bidder's User IDs on the listing page. Your User ID will be shown only
to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see
an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, Bidder 2 etc"

Julian

Nov 29, 2006, 4:43:15 PM11/29/06

"jasee" <ja...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Julian wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Since yesterday, I noticed that the ebay website looks totally
>> different on firefox (2.0) on my computer (the home page itself looks
>> visibly different!) It was fine before that. it looks ok on IE7.
>> I talked to ebay customer support and they said that nothing has
>> changed on their end... (and also that 'ebay recommends using IE 6.0')
>>
>> now, I just want to confirm if this is how its behaving for all
>> firefox users or is something wrong with my computer...
>
> Ebay has changed:
> "As online shopping evolves, eBay continues to focus on preserving our
> marketplace's open and level playingfield whilst protecting our Community
> of members. We have decided to change how bid history information is
> displayed so unscrupulous people cannot target bidders with fake offers
> using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be
> able to see other bidder's User IDs on the listing page. Your User ID will
> be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other
> members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, Bidder 2 etc"

What I am talking about is more than just hiding the bidders names (though
I can still see other bidders names!).
for me, the home page itself looks totally different on IE7 and FF2.0
take a look at the pics at
http://alpha.tamu.edu/public/julian_public/ebaybrokensite/
there are many things missing from the FF2.0 screenshot.
The search results on eBay looks even worse !

If this is not what eBay.com looks to you on FF2.0, then please let me know
cos that probably means something is wrong at my end.

If nothing is wrong at my end, I wonder why a major web company like eBay is
not supporting FF !

thanks

SteveG

Nov 29, 2006, 6:07:52 PM11/29/06
Evening Julian, just to let you know that I see no difference in the
eBay home page (www.ebay.co.uk) between FF2 and IE7 except for the Flash
and some JS scripts which I have turned off in FF2.

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G

gebeleizis

Nov 29, 2006, 6:21:36 PM11/29/06
Julian a băgat versurile::
Works perfect here too. Of course, after I put it on whitelist of
Adblock Plus.

Julian

Nov 29, 2006, 7:13:26 PM11/29/06

"SteveG" <he...@notthere.com> wrote in message

thanks for the reply Steve. I have no idea what going on but after I saw
your reply, I check www.ebay.com and now the home page looks fine! (it was
not working when I checked 3 hours back!) . but the search results page
still looks messed up. I don't think I have any extensions that could be
messing this up.. but here's the list of what I've got on anyway:
Click2Tab 0.9.7
Context Search 0.4.1
IE View 1.3.1
Skype Toolbar for Firefox 2.1.0.15
Tabbrowser Preferences 1.3.1.1
Undo Closed Tabs Button 2.0.0

in addition to the screenshot I posted earlier (of the homepage, which works
now), I am posting screenshots of the search results page (which is still
not working).
http://alpha.tamu.edu/public/julian_public/ebaybrokensite/

I am beginning to get the feeling that the problems on my side... cos at
least one other website if giving a different behavior. but I can't seem to
figure out whats wrong... any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
Julian.

David McRitchie

Nov 29, 2006, 7:20:26 PM11/29/06
Hi Julian,
What happens if you go directly to the sign-in
https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn
You should see the location bar turn color and a lock at the
right for secure access. If it accepts you does it change
the original http://www.ebay.com
--

The primary difference between Firefox and IE is that you do not
show as signed in nor does it show the ability to sign in. I don't see

Nothing to do with your problem, but I would suggest that
you move the search bar up to the menu bar, which will give you
more room for both the search bar (Ctrl+K) and the location bar (Ctrl+L)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/rightff.htm
--
David McRitchie, Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

Julian

Nov 29, 2006, 7:25:32 PM11/29/06

"Julian" <jul...@nospamtamu.edu> wrote in message

I'm sorry.. there's a mistake in my previous post... www.ebay.co.uk works
fine on my computer i.e. its looks the same on both IE and FF2.0.
but www.ebay.com still looks very different.... as shown in those screen
shots
but i do have some new information that might help in figuring this out.
I started FF in safe mode.. and in this mode, although the www.ebay.com home
page still looks messed up, the search results page looks ok
any ideas ?

Julian

Nov 29, 2006, 7:38:03 PM11/29/06

"David McRitchie" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message

> Hi Julian,
> What happens if you go directly to the sign-in
> https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn
> You should see the location bar turn color and a lock at the
> right for secure access. If it accepts you does it change
> the original http://www.ebay.com

I did this and the home page still looks messed up.

> The primary difference between Firefox and IE is that you do not
> show as signed in nor does it show the ability to sign in. I don't see
> anything on the status bar to indicate that you have GreaseMonkey
> or AdBlock.

I have listed all my extensions in the other post.

> Nothing to do with your problem, but I would suggest that
> you move the search bar up to the menu bar, which will give you
> more room for both the search bar (Ctrl+K) and the location bar (Ctrl+L)
> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/rightff.htm

thanks for that tip.. I didn't know I could do that !

Leonidas Jones

Nov 29, 2006, 7:43:10 PM11/29/06
Julian wrote:
> "Julian" <jul...@nospamtamu.edu> wrote in message
>> "SteveG" <he...@notthere.com> wrote in message
>>> Julian wrote:
/snip/

>> I am beginning to get the feeling that the problems on my side... cos at
>> least one other website if giving a different behavior. but I can't seem
>> to figure out whats wrong... any help would be greatly appreciated
>> thanks,
>> Julian.
>
> I'm sorry.. there's a mistake in my previous post... www.ebay.co.uk works
> fine on my computer i.e. its looks the same on both IE and FF2.0.
> but www.ebay.com still looks very different.... as shown in those screen
> shots
> but i do have some new information that might help in figuring this out.
> I started FF in safe mode.. and in this mode, although the www.ebay.com home
> page still looks messed up, the search results page looks ok
> any ideas ?

No, but just to add my experience www/ebay.com displays just fine from
here. The only difference between your IE screen shot and my result is
Flash Block blocking a flash file.

Since Safe Mode did not solve the problem entirely, the next
troubleshooting step is to create a test profile and see if the page
behaves in a the clean profile.

Lee

The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

Julian

Nov 29, 2006, 7:43:41 PM11/29/06

"Julian" <jul...@nospamtamu.edu> wrote in message
one more update :
when i said that the search results page looks ok in safe mode, i might have
been incorrect.
turns out when i hit refresh sometimes it renders the page properly... i did
this a bunch of times and it has around a 50% chance of loading up properly!
(and this in in regular mode)

SteveG

Nov 30, 2006, 3:41:12 PM11/30/06

Hi Julian,

You may have seen from another thread that I was having problems with
eBay pages not quite finishing loading. With some help from Lee - nay,
inspiration - I changed my firewall's adblock settings and all is now
well. Aside from that I'd tried everything else I could think of with no
success so it might be worth turning off your firewall's adblocking
(if it has that feature).

--
Regards

Steve G