Mozillian Marathon for Charity

Benjamin Kerensa

Sep 28, 2012, 4:15:15 AM9/28/12
I wanted to pitch the idea of a Mozillian Work Marathon where participants work for 24 hours straight without sleep and we encourage people to donate to various causes for each participant.

This idea steams from a marathon Canonical is doing http://marathon.ubuntuonair.com

I would be up to working for 24 hours straight :)

Anyone interested? It would be webcast on Google Hangout on Air

Brian King

Sep 28, 2012, 9:36:51 AM9/28/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
Nice idea. We could make it a Firefox OS app marathon.

- Brian

Brian King | Mozilla Reps Mentor
https://reps.mozilla.org/u/brianking/

Alex Lakatos

Sep 28, 2012, 11:09:05 AM9/28/12
to reps-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Having done a 48-hour long hackathon before, and even more, it was about
Firefox OS apps, you can count me in.

Cheers,
Alex

On 09/28/2012 04:36 PM, Brian King wrote:
> Nice idea. We could make it a Firefox OS app marathon.
>
> - Brian

Schalk Neethling

Sep 28, 2012, 11:36:12 AM9/28/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
I'm in.

Kind Regards,
Schalk Neethling
Front-End Engineer @ Mozilla

Danishka Navin

Sep 28, 2012, 12:03:53 PM9/28/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
What if we changed this slightly for a week?
We can find a suitable name for the program, ex: Mozilla Community Fund
Raising Week..

Its more efficient if you could available for few days instead of few hours
for your own time zone.
And also you can't expect people to be online that particular day even you
already informed/advertised.
Sone one can participate full week or selected dates, event during the week

Just consider above suggestion :)

Good luck for the program!
--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

Katherine Naszradi

Sep 28, 2012, 12:28:10 PM9/28/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
Benjamin,

I like the idea of donating to various causes for each participant - could you explain more about what you're thinking here? Perhaps we could include MoFo in the mix?

Cool idea!

kate

Sep 28, 2012, 1:20:18 PM9/28/12
to reps-g...@lists.mozilla.org
I just had a thought that I might as well throw out there:

What if people were to work on *other* FLOSS projects, raising money for
Mozilla?

Leo
signature.asc

Vineel Reddy Pindi

Sep 28, 2012, 1:31:59 PM9/28/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
FYI, Mozilla's previous campaign:
http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/category/mozilla-service-week/
--
Vineel Reddy Pindi
Mozilla Reps <https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReMo> Council Member

Benjamin Kerensa

Sep 28, 2012, 1:56:48 PM9/28/12
On Friday, September 28, 2012 10:20:20 AM UTC-7, Leo McArdle wrote:
> I just had a thought that I might as well throw out there:
>

> What if people were to work on *other* FLOSS projects, raising money for
>
> Mozilla?
>

> Leo

I love this idea :)

> On 28/09/12 17:46, Mary Colvig wrote:
>
> > Not sure if we're pursuing the Firefox Giving Challenge again, but if so, might be a fun tie in. The JS Team raised a bunch of money last year through it :)
>

> > Mary J. Colvig
>
> > Director of Contributor Engagement
>
> > Mozilla
>
> > 415-336-5938
>
> > @foxymary
>
> > www.mozilla.org/firefox

yeah

Benjamin Kerensa

Sep 28, 2012, 1:56:48 PM9/28/12
to mozilla.re...@googlegroups.com, Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
On Friday, September 28, 2012 10:20:20 AM UTC-7, Leo McArdle wrote:
> I just had a thought that I might as well throw out there:
>

> What if people were to work on *other* FLOSS projects, raising money for
>
> Mozilla?
>

> Leo

I love this idea :)

> On 28/09/12 17:46, Mary Colvig wrote:
>
> > Not sure if we're pursuing the Firefox Giving Challenge again, but if so, might be a fun tie in. The JS Team raised a bunch of money last year through it :)
>

> > Mary J. Colvig
>
> > Director of Contributor Engagement
>
> > Mozilla
>
> > 415-336-5938
>
> > @foxymary
>
> > www.mozilla.org/firefox

Benjamin Kerensa

Sep 28, 2012, 1:58:39 PM9/28/12
On Friday, September 28, 2012 9:04:28 AM UTC-7, Danishka Navin wrote:
> What if we changed this slightly for a week?
>
> We can find a suitable name for the program, ex: Mozilla Community Fund
>
> Raising Week..
>

> Its more efficient if you could available for few days instead of few hours
>
> for your own time zone.
>
> And also you can't expect people to be online that particular day even you
>
> already informed/advertised.
>
> Sone one can participate full week or selected dates, event during the week

The idea is a 24-hour marathon with no regard to timezones for participants in the Canonical example each person on that team is in a different timezone multiple U.S. time zones and multiple european. Plus I think people loving the idea of watching people work for 24 hours straight.

Benjamin Kerensa

Sep 28, 2012, 1:58:39 PM9/28/12
to mozilla.re...@googlegroups.com, Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
On Friday, September 28, 2012 9:04:28 AM UTC-7, Danishka Navin wrote:
> What if we changed this slightly for a week?
>
> We can find a suitable name for the program, ex: Mozilla Community Fund
>
> Raising Week..
>

> Its more efficient if you could available for few days instead of few hours
>
> for your own time zone.
>
> And also you can't expect people to be online that particular day even you
>
> already informed/advertised.
>
> Sone one can participate full week or selected dates, event during the week

The idea is a 24-hour marathon with no regard to timezones for participants in the Canonical example each person on that team is in a different timezone multiple U.S. time zones and multiple european. Plus I think people loving the idea of watching people work for 24 hours straight.

Emma Irwin

Sep 30, 2012, 8:39:01 PM9/30/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
if you could rework it to mean continuous work by a team (rather than an
individual working 24 hours), I would be in . Not that I don't want to,
but as a parent... it simply wouldn't work. I always like the global
aspect of Mozilla and Reps - partnerships across the globe to cover 24
hours would add meaning that simple exhaustion by a single person might
not. My thoughts anyway.

Benjamin Kerensa

Oct 3, 2012, 1:57:25 PM10/3/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
I am liking this idea but thinking multiple days with people tagging in on shifts since some Mozillians cannot do 24 hours straight.

Benjamin Kerensa

Oct 3, 2012, 1:57:25 PM10/3/12
to mozilla.re...@googlegroups.com, Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list

Benjamin Kerensa