[Please read][Instructions] How to add a new event

Pierros Papadeas

Aug 2, 2012, 5:24:11 PM8/2/12
to reps-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello Reps!

It's been 2 days now that we have the new events system.

We completely abandoned the wiki for events, and we will be porting
the old ones soon enough. Wiki will be used only for SOPs moving
forward and we are updating the forms and SOPs to reflect that.

Here is what you should do to create new events:

- Go to reps.mozilla.org/events
- Click on "Create event" button up right
- Complete all fields required. A few notes:
-- Times and dates are local to event (system takes care for everything else)
-- Point the venue to map to the best of your knowledge.
-- Use the hashtag as uniquely as possible (and start tweeting and
uploading to flickr using it!)
-- Write down all extra info in "Additional Info" using Markdown
syntax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown)
-- Make extra sure that you complete the metrics of the event
- Click "Save event"
- Voila!

The "Sign up form" is intended to be used as follows:
- You are in an event and having a booth.
- You dedicate a laptop/tablet/etc (or pop it up when needed) and
navigate throught the Sign up form link from the event page.
- The participants of the event that are interested to get involved in
Mozilla signup using this.
- Then automatically the sign-up counter increases!
- We have nice metrics :)
NOTE: The signup form is not yet ready, and I will send out a mail when it is.

This is a video walk-through of creating an event, so please watch it
and make sure you understood all different parts of the process:

https://vimeo.com/46839025

Please make sure to ask any questions you have regarding our new
functionality, and keep an eye for our next version with much more
features!

Have fun and cool events with our new system!

Cheers,

Pierros

Brian King

Aug 3, 2012, 6:31:17 AM8/3/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Pierros Papadeas <ppap...@mozilla.com>wrote:

> This is a video walk-through of creating an event, so please watch it
> and make sure you understood all different parts of the process:
>
> https://vimeo.com/46839025

Very useful, thanks for that. For the pad functionality, I am wondering if
we should add a sub-domain for events so instead of using
etherpad.mozilla.org/<event> we could have reps.etherpad.mozilla.org/
<event>?

--
Brian King | Mozilla Reps Council
https://reps.mozilla.org/u/brianking/

Fadel Waheed

Aug 3, 2012, 6:38:02 AM8/3/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
Hey

Very useful , thank you Pierros

/ Fadel

--
Fadel Waheed

Ibraahiima SAAR

Aug 3, 2012, 7:18:34 AM8/3/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
Hi all,
I would like to know if events already entered on Mozilla Wiki need to be
re-created on Reps events page?
Regards
Ibrahima

Brian King

Aug 3, 2012, 8:45:28 AM8/3/12
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Ibraahiima SAAR wrote:

> Hi all,
> I would like to know if events already entered on Mozilla Wiki need to be
> re-created on Reps events page?

No, these will be automatically ported over sometime in Q3.

Pierros Papadeas

Aug 3, 2012, 10:10:04 AM8/3/12
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Brian King <brik...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Pierros Papadeas <ppap...@mozilla.com>wrote:
>
>> This is a video walk-through of creating an event, so please watch it
>> and make sure you understood all different parts of the process:
>>
>> https://vimeo.com/46839025
>>

> Very useful, thanks for that. For the pad functionality, I am wondering if
> we should add a sub-domain for events so instead of using
> etherpad.mozilla.org/<event> we could have reps.etherpad.mozilla.org/
> <event>?

remo.etherpad.mozilla.org pads (and all group pads) cannot be created
unless you have an account in the specific group.
This is a current restriction from Etherpad unfortunately.
So we ended up creating etherpad.mozilla.org/remo-<event> pads.

~p

> --
> Brian King | Mozilla Reps Council
> https://reps.mozilla.org/u/brianking/

Ahsan

Aug 13, 2012, 7:40:30 AM8/13/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
Hi Pierros:

Nice updated events system. i've noted the following issues, pls advise:

1. When creating a new event, there are tooltips. but all the tooltips are
appearing outside the screen (either leftside/ rightside). So seeing only
one/two characters of the tooltip in my 1024x768 pixel.

2. In "Region" field, a dropdown selection (APAC, EMEA, NA, LATAM) would be
preferable. Now ReMo's are inserting as per they wish -
e.g.
Asia: https://reps.mozilla.org/e/sfd2012/
Visayas Region: https://reps.mozilla.org/e/software-freedom-day-cebu-2012/
London: https://reps.mozilla.org/e/mozilla-festival-2012/
Central: https://reps.mozilla.org/e/mozcomug-anniversary/
Andhra Pradesh: https://reps.mozilla.org/e/moz-interaction/

Regards
--
Mashkawat Ahsan
> This is a video walk-through of creating an event, so please watch it
> and make sure you understood all different parts of the process:
>
> https://vimeo.com/46839025
>
> Please make sure to ask any questions you have regarding our new
> functionality, and keep an eye for our next version with much more
> features!
>
> Have fun and cool events with our new system!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pierros

Arturo Martinez

Sep 3, 2012, 12:41:42 AM9/3/12
It is possible to use multiple hashtags? or to place an especific hashtag for twitter and another one for flickr?

Chit Thiri Maung

Sep 3, 2012, 12:57:32 AM9/3/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
I only use one exact #hashtag and it will use both twitter and Flickr.

Just want to know how to create "Get Involve form" when I click it will re
direct to that link,it is bug or we need to add link at there?
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/contribute/event/?callbackurl=https://reps.mozilla.org/e/developer-conference-yangon-2012/plusoneconverted/<%20http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/contribute/event/?callbackurl=https://reps.mozilla.org/e/developer-conference-yangon-2012/plusoneconverted/>

Chit
--
www.ahkeno.wordpress.com

Pierros Papadeas

Sep 3, 2012, 5:07:03 AM9/3/12
On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Chit Thiri Maung <ahk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I only use one exact #hashtag and it will use both twitter and Flickr.

Indeed only once hashtag can be used for ease of use.
Thanks for reporting Chit, this is a known problem and we are already
working on it with WebDev team. Will keep you updated.

~pierros

> Chit
>

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Arturo Martinez <feni...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> --
> www.ahkeno.wordpress.com

Kinshuk Sunil

Sep 3, 2012, 5:12:54 AM9/3/12
On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Pierros Papadeas <ppap...@mozilla.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Chit Thiri Maung <ahk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I only use one exact #hashtag and it will use both twitter and Flickr.
>
> Indeed only once hashtag can be used for ease of use.
>
> > Just want to know how to create "Get Involve form" when I click it will
> re
> > direct to that link,it is bug or we need to add link at there?
> >
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/contribute/event/?callbackurl=https://reps.mozilla.org/e/developer-conference-yangon-2012/plusoneconverted/
> <%20
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/contribute/event/?callbackurl=https://reps.mozilla.org/e/developer-conference-yangon-2012/plusoneconverted/
> >

> Thanks for reporting Chit, this is a known problem and we are already
> working on it with WebDev team. Will keep you updated.

While the get involved form is supposed to work as a counter for how many
people came on-board to contributing to Mozilla from an event, a public
event participation sign up will also be a good-to-have thing for events
(the only sign up feature for now is for reps to sign up for their
participation at different events)

> ~pierros
>
> > Chit
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Arturo Martinez <feni...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> > --
> > www.ahkeno.wordpress.com

Kinshuk Sunil
+919910024895

Pierros Papadeas

Sep 3, 2012, 6:59:43 AM9/3/12
to Mozilla Reps - General Discussion mailing list
Thanks Kinshuk for the suggestion!

We are actually exploring a way for non-reps to sign up for the event,
and this will be extremely helpful when the codebase of our events
manager system becomes events.mozilla.org

~pierros