Demoting peers

Gareth Aye

May 6, 2015, 7:03:17 PM5/6/15
to gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Governance,

I was wondering about what (if any) protocol exists for removing peers from
modules that they have been inactive in for a long period of time. For
instance, if I am an owner of a code module and one of the module's peers
hasn't contributed or reviewed any patches within the last year and the
module has undergone significant change, is it appropriate to propose
removing them from the peers list?

Thanks,
Gareth

Stormy Peters

May 6, 2015, 7:06:31 PM5/6/15
to Gareth Aye, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
I would suggest talking to them as a first step. It's possible they'll
feel relieved to be removed. They might also be able to suggest a
replacement.

Stormy

Gareth Aye

May 6, 2015, 7:13:07 PM5/6/15
to Stormy Peters, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Seems very reasonable!

Gregory Szorc

May 6, 2015, 8:09:48 PM5/6/15
to Gareth Aye, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
At one time there were a few modules with "emeritus" peers: these were
essentially formerly active peers that don't do much any more. I liked that
label because it gave people a "badge" of accomplishment, without burdening
them with daily responsibility. But I can't find any references to this any
more on the modules wiki pages. Perhaps it got dropped as part of wiki
refactoring.

Anyway, module owners have the right to drop peers. But as Stormy said, I'd
approach them first to make sure they want to be removed. I've done this
with a few build module peers and the response has typically been "yeah, I
don't wear that hat any more, please remove me."

Gervase Markham

May 8, 2015, 9:42:46 AM5/8/15
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
As module owner, you may add or remove peers at will. Of course,
courtesy suggests consulting them first, but there is no formal
requirement to do so.

Gerv