Updates to Firefox & Websites Privacy Notices

ud...@mozilla.com

May 29, 2015, 2:43:50 PM5/29/15
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello all,

Our next Firefox campaign is kicking-off next week! As we usually do, we've updated our Privacy Notices to reflect the technologies used and related user choices. If you have suggestions to improve the language in these updates, please let us know.

(1) Firefox Privacy Notice
As described in more detail on the Dev Planning list [1], for our next campaign we're using an open source SDK to understand which of our promotion channels are driving Fennec installs. Because this SDK will be used in Fennec, we are creating a new subsection under the "Things you should know" section of the Firefox Browser Privacy Notice [2] to address this. It will read like this:

"For Firefox for Android only:
In order to understand the performance of certain Mozilla marketing campaigns, Firefox sends data, including a Google advertising ID, IP address, timestamp, country, language/locale, operating system, app version, to our third party vendor. Our vendor must adhere to strict confidentiality obligations consistent with this Privacy Notice and our agreements with them. This data allows us to attribute an install to a specific advertising channel and optimize marketing campaign strategies."

(2) Websites, Communications, and Cookies Notice ("Websites Notice")
We've previously used clear GIFs on Mozilla sites. For this campaign, there will be a clear GIF on the Firefox download page to help the product marketing team measure the impact of the campaign on desktop downloads. The Websites Notice is being updated with the opt-out information.

In addition, the Websites Notice has some general updates such as:
- clarifying that certain Mozilla websites require accounts (e.g. AMO) and account holders may receive emails in connection with their accounts. Also, certain websites use device information to optimize mobile experiences (e.g. Marketplace)
- expanding the Google Analytics and Optimizely section to explain why these services are used
- noting that Mozilla mobile apps are also covered by the Websites Notice (e.g. Webmaker)

You can view the changes to the Websites Notice on github [3].

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Mika

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.dev.platform/H3uTszqKvzE/NLaR9p36XkQJ
[2] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/
[3] https://github.com/mozilla/legal-docs/commit/dcbc323819b40575d4cc357899413350cc53ba6a#diff-b3e5a7a9cb2afaeae844dc4dfe7dd6c8

omidijiayo...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2015, 8:31:15 AM6/8/15
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org

omidijiayo...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2015, 9:26:51 AM6/8/15
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 6:43:50 AM UTC-12, Urmika Devi wrote:
Thanks for your assistance.