Re: Ownership of the Rhino project

Gavin Sharp

Jan 28, 2015, 7:01:52 AM1/28/15
to Greg Brail, module-o...@mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Greg,

Did this request already get resolved? I see you've recently been
committing to the Mozilla Rhino repository:
https://github.com/mozilla/rhino/commits?author=gbrail

For the purposes of updating the ownership info at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/All#Rhino, it would be ideal to get
sign-off from the existing owner/peers if possible (perhaps already
done on the Rhino discussion list post you mention? I couldn't see any
relevant discussions at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mozilla.dev.tech.js-engine.rhino).

Gavin

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Greg Brail <gr...@apigee.com> wrote:
> I'd like to propose myself as the new owner of the Rhino project.
>
> The official Mozilla Rhino distribution in GitHub has been idle for a while
> now, but I've been maintaining a fork at https://github.com/apigee/rhino
> and there we've been able to pull together a number of contributions. I'd
> like to move these contributions back to the official project and start
> doing releases again.
>
> I emailed the Rhino discussion list about this and the people there were
> fairly positive, and I emailed Brendan Eich as well.
>
> Please let me know what we can do to get this project moving again. Thanks!
>
> --
> *greg brail* | *apigee <https://apigee.com/>* | twitter @gbrail
> <http://twitter.com/gbrail>

Greg Brail

Jan 28, 2015, 12:42:18 PM1/28/15
to Gavin Sharp, module-o...@mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for following up! I also got help from the GitHub admins.

Hannes Wallnoefer is the former maintainer, and he is in favor of this
change. We had a discussion on this thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla-rhino/g-7k20DCQMo

and he also asked Sonatype to grant me access.

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-13520

At this point I have the access that I need to proceed, but I understand
the need to have consensus and I hope that the stuff above will help.

We also seem to have a mailing list issue. According to this page:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/Rhino/Community

the community hasn't been using the "js-engine.rhino" group for a long time
due to spam issues, but it sounds like people are posting on it again.

Is there a way that we can shut that old group down and redirect people to
only one group?

Gavin Sharp

Jan 29, 2015, 9:04:25 AM1/29/15
to Greg Brail, module-o...@mozilla.org, han...@gmail.com, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
OK, I have updated https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Other#Rhino
accordingly. Please feel free to adjust the information there (peers,
source directory, Bugzilla component, URL, discussion group, etc.).

To adjust the newsgroup/mailing lists you can file a
mozilla.org::Discussion Forums bug at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=mozilla.org&component=Discussion%20Forums.

It seems like there is a lot of "legacy" infrastructure related to
Rhino that is no longer being used. Beyond the mailing list, I take it
you're also no longer using Mozilla's Bugzilla instance to track your
bugs? The "Rhino" product still exists there, and some people have
filed bugs fairly recently (see:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?chfieldto=Now&chfieldfrom=-3m&product=Rhino).
Assuming so, it probably makes sense to get product "Retired", which
you can ask for by filing a bug at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=bugzilla.mozilla.org&component=Administration.

Gavin

mitchell baker