Resigning my mozilla.org project roles

Brendan Eich

Jan 25, 2016, 4:57:56 PM1/25/16
to gover...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm doing a startup and find myself in a (so far not consequential)
conflict of interest between Mozilla and Brave work. I'm also very short
on time. My roles have become vestigial-to-non-existent over time, so I
think this change won't affect Mozilla-the-project much. I would
appreciate it if someone would make the appropriate excisions to the
module wiki and bugzilla permissions. (I'll keep my bugzilla.m.o login
for now, but I shouldn't have s-s access.)

As I noted in the Brave FAQ (https://brave.com/FAQ.html),

5. Why aren't you using Mozilla's Gecko engine on laptops?
<https://brave.com/FAQ.html#collapseFive>

We were, under a partially sandboxed, multi-process architecture called
Graphene. But we did a careful head-to-head comparison and by every
measure, Electron/chromium won. We wish Mozilla well, but as a startup,
we must use all sound leverage available to us. For web compatibility
and in particular Chrome compatibility, this means chromium.

I wrote this myself and mean every word. Best,

/be

Benjamin Kerensa

Jan 25, 2016, 5:25:20 PM1/25/16
to bre...@mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
I have updated
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Activities#Governance_Sub_Modules but for
the Module Ownership System that leaves that Module without an owner
so the peers for that module might want to figure out who will be the new
owner. It seems like Mitchell would be the best default replacement owner
at least for the time
being.

That said a number of the modules in the Governance Sub Modules have peers
or owners who have long left Mozilla and are even not actively involved as
Mozillians
anymore.

The participation metrics and conductors modules are both ones I'd like to
take the opportunity to point out and also point out that we still
encourage Mozillians to reach out to conductors in our community
participation guidelines (So lets update that?)

Otherwise the technical/functional modules seem to be rather up to date
aside from needing to remove Brendan from those which are all locked down
with permissions.

Benjamin Kerensa
Project Leader, Glucosio
http://www.glucosio.org

Gervase Markham

Jan 26, 2016, 5:39:01 AM1/26/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Brendan,

Thanks for all your hard work on Mozilla stuff over many years. You have
been and will continue to be missed. I wish you all the best with Brave :-)

On 25/01/16 21:57, Brendan Eich wrote:
> module wiki and bugzilla permissions. (I'll keep my bugzilla.m.o login
> for now, but I shouldn't have s-s access.)

I've removed you from a number of Bugzilla groups. Drop me a line if
you've lost access to something you think you shouldn't have lost access
to. You still have canconfirm and editbugs, but nothing else.

Gerv

Douglas Turner

Jan 27, 2016, 1:15:17 AM1/27/16
to Markham, Gervase, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org, Stenback, Johnny, Gregory Szorc
Brendan is still the owner of the m-c top level:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/All#mozilla-toplevel

Maybe this is really just a build / release function.

Doug

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:39 AM Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> Hi Brendan,
>
> Thanks for all your hard work on Mozilla stuff over many years. You have
> been and will continue to be missed. I wish you all the best with Brave :-)
>
> On 25/01/16 21:57, Brendan Eich wrote:
> > module wiki and bugzilla permissions. (I'll keep my bugzilla.m.o login
> > for now, but I shouldn't have s-s access.)
>
> I've removed you from a number of Bugzilla groups. Drop me a line if
> you've lost access to something you think you shouldn't have lost access
> to. You still have canconfirm and editbugs, but nothing else.
>
> Gerv

Jeff Walden

Jan 27, 2016, 2:45:50 PM1/27/16
On 01/26/2016 10:15 PM, Douglas Turner wrote:
> Brendan is still the owner of the m-c top level:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/All#mozilla-toplevel
>
> Maybe this is really just a build / release function.

I think this was primarily to approve new top-level directory additions (e.g. image/), which isn't quite just a build/release function IMO.

Jeff

Gregory Szorc

Jan 27, 2016, 3:01:41 PM1/27/16
to Douglas Turner, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org, Markham, Gervase, Stenback, Johnny, Gregory Szorc
My initial reaction was I could make a case for owning this, as I'm heavily
involved with build system and version control foo and changes to the
directory hierarchy can have significant implications for both.

However, I feel like it would be appropriate for someone more senior to be
the owner, as oftentimes decisions about directory structure boil down to
higher-level issues that have more to do with "politics" than technical
reasons.

I think dougt would be an appropriate owner.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Douglas Turner <do...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Brendan is still the owner of the m-c top level:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/All#mozilla-toplevel
>
> Maybe this is really just a build / release function.
>
> Doug
>

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:39 AM Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brendan,
>>
>> Thanks for all your hard work on Mozilla stuff over many years. You have
>> been and will continue to be missed. I wish you all the best with Brave
>> :-)
>>
>> On 25/01/16 21:57, Brendan Eich wrote:
>> > module wiki and bugzilla permissions. (I'll keep my bugzilla.m.o login
>> > for now, but I shouldn't have s-s access.)

Nicholas Nethercote

Jan 27, 2016, 6:01:46 PM1/27/16
to Gervase Markham, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 2:38 AM, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 25/01/16 21:57, Brendan Eich wrote:
>> module wiki and bugzilla permissions. (I'll keep my bugzilla.m.o login
>> for now, but I shouldn't have s-s access.)
>
> I've removed you from a number of Bugzilla groups. Drop me a line if
> you've lost access to something you think you shouldn't have lost access
> to. You still have canconfirm and editbugs, but nothing else.

Brendan is now listed as "emeritus" for Governance, Module Ownership
and Code Review Policy, which seems appropriate.

He's still listed as owner for mozilla-toplevel, which is still under
discussion.

But he's also still listed as a peer for JavaScript, JavaScript
Debugger Backend, Privilege Manager, Tamarin, Venkman. Should those
all be changed to "peer emeritus"?

Nick

Ehsan Akhgari

Jan 27, 2016, 8:48:52 PM1/27/16
to Jeff Walden, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
On 2016-01-27 2:45 PM, Jeff Walden wrote:
> On 01/26/2016 10:15 PM, Douglas Turner wrote:
>> Brendan is still the owner of the m-c top level:
>>
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/All#mozilla-toplevel
>>
>> Maybe this is really just a build / release function.
>
> I think this was primarily to approve new top-level directory additions (e.g. image/), which isn't quite just a build/release function IMO.

Yes, agreed.

jake...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2016, 9:09:06 AM2/9/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Is there any publicly available information on the measurements that you concluded Electron/chromium was superior? tx.

Gervase Markham

Feb 9, 2016, 10:34:48 AM2/9/16
to Nicholas Nethercote
On 27/01/16 23:01, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> But he's also still listed as a peer for JavaScript, JavaScript
> Debugger Backend, Privilege Manager, Tamarin, Venkman. Should those
> all be changed to "peer emeritus"?

I think that's probably the most appropriate course of action.

Gerv

Gervase Markham

Feb 9, 2016, 10:36:15 AM2/9/16
On 27/01/16 20:01, Gregory Szorc wrote:
> However, I feel like it would be appropriate for someone more senior to be
> the owner, as oftentimes decisions about directory structure boil down to
> higher-level issues that have more to do with "politics" than technical
> reasons.

You are very wise in observing this :-)

> I think dougt would be an appropriate owner.

I think that the current process is that the Module Ownership Group
should choose someone. However, that august body may by a little...
dormant. I will consult with Mitchell as to the best way forward.

Gerv