PN Changes (Snippets (SMS Campaign), Default Search and SSL Error Reporting)

gpi...@mozilla.com

Feb 9, 2015, 12:12:43 PM2/9/15
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

We need to make a few minor changes and/or additions to the Firefox Desktop privacy notice that relate to the following:

1) Snippets / SMS Campaign:
"Some Mozilla sponsored snippets are interactive and allow you to optionally share your phone number or email address. For example, you can enter your phone number to receive an SMS to install Firefox on Android. Your information is received and handled by our email and mobile marketing vendor."

2) Default Search Provider:
"To help choose the best default search engine for your location, Firefox sends Mozilla a request once to look up your location at a country level using your IP address. We then send that country level information back to Firefox, where it's stored locally. Firefox will then choose which search engine to use as its default based on the locally stored country information."

3) SSL Error Reporting:
"SSL Errors: You have the option to send Mozilla an error report when a secure website connection is broken. This report records the website certificate as well as diagnostic error codes. This information helps Mozilla monitor the effectiveness of "pinned" website certificates and detect potential phishing attacks against our users."

Thanks to Gavin, Ben, Winston and all others or anyone I might have missed (apologies ahead of time!) for your valued input and helping to guide these changes.

Best,
Geoff

Archaeopteryx

Feb 10, 2015, 3:59:00 AM2/10/15
to gpi...@mozilla.com
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: PN Changes (Snippets (SMS Campaign), Default Search and SSL
Error Reporting)
Von: gpi...@mozilla.com
Datum: 2015-02-09 18:12
> Hi,
>
> We need to make a few minor changes and/or additions to the Firefox
> Desktop privacy notice that relate to the following:
>
> 1) Snippets / SMS Campaign: "Some Mozilla sponsored snippets are
> interactive and allow you to optionally share your phone number or
> email address. For example, you can enter your phone number to
> receive an SMS to install Firefox on Android. Your information is
> received and handled by our email and mobile marketing vendor."
Can we please clarify that we are not saving the phone numbers or only
do so for a limited time (like 24 hours), e.g. for measuring snippet
conversion?

Thank you
Sebastian

gpi...@mozilla.com

Feb 12, 2015, 10:26:26 AM2/12/15
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks Sebastian, the phone numbers are handled by our third party vendor Exact Target (who we have under contract with all protections for the numbers as confidential and respecting privacy laws). While Exact Target handles the phone numbers longer than as you had offered, this is for several good reasons but mainly for opt-out purposes for the feature, and in line with their own company's data practices.