New module proposal: Animation

Brian Birtles

Jan 11, 2018, 8:17:17 PM1/11/18
to gover...@lists.mozilla.org, Matt Woodrow, Hiroyuki Ikezoe
Dear all,

Over the past few years there has been a lot of work on animations in
Gecko: CSS Transitions, CSS Animations, off-main thread animations,
and the Web Animations API. The people who work on this tend to
specialize in it so I think it makes sense to formalize this as a
separate module.

Proposed module:

Name: Animation
Web Animations API, and off-main thread animations
Owner: Brian Birtles
Peers: Hiroyuki Ikezoe, Matt Woodrow
Source Dirs: dom/animation; and animation-related code in
layout/style, servo/components/style, and gfx/layers
Bugzilla Components: Core::DOM::Animation, Core::CSS Parsing and Computation
Discussion Group: dev-tech-layout

Best regards,

Brian

Cameron McCormack

Jan 11, 2018, 8:26:10 PM1/11/18
to Brian Birtles, gover...@lists.mozilla.org, Matt Woodrow, Hiroyuki Ikezoe
Thanks Brian, I'm in favour of this.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Brian Birtles via governance wrote:
> Source Dirs: dom/animation; and animation-related code in
> layout/style, servo/components/style, and gfx/layers

It's a little unclear whether servo/ directories should be mentioned here. I guess they should, despite in practice having different rules for who reviews code in there. You should probably also mention servo/ports/gecko/glue/.

Cameron McCormack

Jan 11, 2018, 8:26:36 PM1/11/18
On Fri, Jan 12, 2018, at 9:25 AM, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> It's a little unclear whether servo/ directories should be mentioned
> here. I guess they should, despite in practice having different rules
> for who reviews code in there. You should probably also mention servo/
> ports/gecko/glue/.

servo/ports/gecko/, I mean.

L. David Baron

Jan 23, 2018, 6:31:21 PM1/23/18
to gover...@lists.mozilla.org, Matt Woodrow, Brian Birtles, Hiroyuki Ikezoe
On Friday 2018-01-12 10:17 +0900, Brian Birtles via governance wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Over the past few years there has been a lot of work on animations in
> Gecko: CSS Transitions, CSS Animations, off-main thread animations,
> and the Web Animations API. The people who work on this tend to
> specialize in it so I think it makes sense to formalize this as a
> separate module.
>
> Proposed module:
>
> Name: Animation
> Web Animations API, and off-main thread animations
> Owner: Brian Birtles
> Peers: Hiroyuki Ikezoe, Matt Woodrow
> Source Dirs: dom/animation; and animation-related code in
> layout/style, servo/components/style, and gfx/layers
> Bugzilla Components: Core::DOM::Animation, Core::CSS Parsing and Computation
> Discussion Group: dev-tech-layout

This looks good to me; I think you should go ahead and add this.
(And I say this as someone who used to be pretty involved in a lot
of this code, but is probably now detached enough from it that I
shouldn't generally review it.)

Two comments:

* I think the entry should be clear in the Bugzilla components line
that it's only a small part of "CSS Parsing and Computation".

* I wonder if it should say "animation-related and
interpolation-related" instead of just "animation-related"

I also wonder if some of the SMIL code should be in this module
rather than the SVG module?

-David

--
𝄞 L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ 𝄂
𝄢 Mozilla https://www.mozilla.org/ 𝄂

Brian Birtles

Jan 25, 2018, 2:50:06 AM1/25/18
to L. David Baron, Matt Woodrow, Hiroyuki Ikezoe, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:30 AM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> This looks good to me; I think you should go ahead and add this.
> (And I say this as someone who used to be pretty involved in a lot
> of this code, but is probably now detached enough from it that I
> shouldn't generally review it.)
>
> Two comments:
>
> * I think the entry should be clear in the Bugzilla components line
> that it's only a small part of "CSS Parsing and Computation".

Fixed.

> * I wonder if it should say "animation-related and
> interpolation-related" instead of just "animation-related"

Fixed.

> I also wonder if some of the SMIL code should be in this module
> rather than the SVG module?

I discussed this with Daniel Holbert who is the only other person
familiar with SMIL code and we agreed that at this stage it still
seems to belong in the SVG module.

I've gone ahead and added this information to the module page now.[1]

Best regards,

Brian

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Modules/Core&diff=prev&oldid=1187558