Update for Firefox Privacy Notice

el...@mozilla.com

Jun 7, 2016, 7:10:04 PM6/7/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

We are updating our Privacy Notice for Firefox [1] to clarify how it relates to pre-release versions.

Below is the language we are planning to add:

"Except as noted otherwise, this privacy notice is for the most recent general release versions of Firefox. Our pre-release versions (Beta, Aurora/Developer Edition, Nightly, and TestFlight) are still under active development and may contain new features or have different privacy characteristics. Pre-release versions automatically send Telemetry data [2] to Mozilla to help us improve Firefox."

As always, you can see proposed change on Github [3], and provide any feedback you may have.

Thanks,
Elvin

[1] https://www.mozilla.org/privacy/firefox/
[2] https://gecko.readthedocs.io/en/latest/toolkit/components/telemetry/telemetry/index.html)
[3] https://github.com/mozilla/legal-docs/pull/511/files

Axel Hecht

Jun 8, 2016, 3:07:35 AM6/8/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
This sounds like a carte blanche for pre-release. Do we really need
that? I'd prefer if we could restrict us to something like "may contain
features for which this document isn't updated yet" or so.

Second question, should we link to
https://www.mozilla.org/privacy/firefox/#telemetry instead of rtd? That
and the sumo page it links to provide more end-user value, I'd think?

Axel

mer...@mozilla.com

Jun 9, 2016, 8:17:18 PM6/9/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Axel, thank you for the feedback.

We had long discussion regarding the link but decided we preferred rtd as a source of truth for those users who really want to detail. The sumo page describes the opt-out but provide great insight into the data collection, which is the purpose of the notice.

Svetlana Tkachenko

Jun 10, 2016, 8:33:21 AM6/10/16
to el...@mozilla.com, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Is this information clearly stated to users who install a pre-release
but do not read the privacy policy? If not already, there should be a
big fat banner upon install which allows users to toggle such settings
as Telemetry.

Chris H-C

Jun 10, 2016, 9:17:44 AM6/10/16
to Svetlana Tkachenko, el...@mozilla.com, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
There is a notification bar [1] to do precisely that.

Chris

[1]:
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/browser/base/content/browser-data-submission-info-bar.js