Update to Firefox Privacy Notice

cmc...@mozilla.com

Jan 25, 2016, 4:26:30 PM1/25/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone,

We are updating our Privacy Notice for Firefox [1] to reflect the introduction of Push Notifications with the January 26th, 44 release.

Below is the language we are adding:

"Push Notifications: Push Notifications allow sites to send notifications and updates to you if you opt-in. To receive notifications, Firefox sends information to Mozilla about what sites you have agreed to receive Push Notification from. We store this information in anonymized form, along with the number of notifications each site sends you. To help developers improve their use of Push Notifications, Mozilla may share aggregated information with certain developers including the number of visitors to their site that have subscribed or unsubscribed to their Push Notifications. You can manage Push Notifications in Firefox by following these instructions[2]."

You can see changes to the Notice on github [3]. Any feedback you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Casey

[1] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/firefox/
[2] https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/FIREFOX/Push+Notifications
[3] https://github.com/mozilla/legal-docs/commit/f27586ca8dd1b19b9695469334513b6a0d6c1cf7

Reed Loden

Jan 25, 2016, 4:36:08 PM1/25/16
to Casey McGill, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/FIREFOX/Push+Notifications is
not publicly viewable, so we can't see what "these instructions" are.
I assume you meant to link to something on support.mozilla.org
instead.

~reed

cmc...@mozilla.com

Jan 25, 2016, 6:16:43 PM1/25/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
Thank you for catching that Reed. The updated URL is to a SUMO page found here [1].

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox

Michael Cooper

Jan 25, 2016, 6:26:44 PM1/25/16
to cmc...@mozilla.com, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
When linking to Sumo it is better to use locale-agnostic urls, like [1].
Sumo will pick a translation for the user automatically. This way users may
see content in their own language, if that is how they have configured
their browser.

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/kb/push-notifications-firefox

--Mike Cooper

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 3:16 PM, <cmc...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 1:36:08 PM UTC-8, Reed Loden wrote:
> Thank you for catching that Reed. The updated URL is to a SUMO page found
> here [1].
>
> [1] https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox

Gervase Markham

Jan 26, 2016, 5:31:24 AM1/26/16
On 22/01/16 23:14, cmc...@mozilla.com wrote:
> "Push Notifications: Push Notifications allow sites to send
> notifications and updates to you if you opt-in. To receive
> notifications, Firefox sends information to Mozilla about what sites
> you have agreed to receive Push Notification from.

On the SUMO page, it says:

"On our server we store a randomized identifier for your browser, along
with a randomized identifier for each site you authorize."

So the SUMO page suggests that Mozilla does _not_ know what sites you
have subscribed to (i.e. it only stores a randomized identifier), but
the privacy policy suggests we do know. Which is right?

Also, it says "On our server we store a randomized identifier for your
browser". Is it possible for a user to change that identifier? Would
that break all of their Push subscriptions? Do we send this identifier
in any other context, which would allow cross-correlation?

Gerv

el...@mozilla.com

Jan 26, 2016, 12:44:46 PM1/26/16
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:26:44 PM UTC-8, Michael Cooper wrote:
> When linking to Sumo it is better to use locale-agnostic urls, like [1].
> Sumo will pick a translation for the user automatically. This way users may
> see content in their own language, if that is how they have configured
> their browser.
>
> [1] https://support.mozilla.org/kb/push-notifications-firefox
>
> --Mike Cooper

Thanks, Mike! Submitted PR for this change. https://github.com/eleemoz/legal-docs/commit/f83d7002563d08abd09498b92203fc87455527fb

cka...@mozilla.com

Jan 26, 2016, 1:04:18 PM1/26/16
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 at 2:31:24 AM UTC-8, Gervase Markham wrote:
Each Push subscription has two opaque identifiers associated with it:

- one identifying the connected browser
- one identifying the particular push subscription the user agreed to in her browser

The collection of these identifiers forms a routing table.

On their own, we currently can't infer what sites you've subscribed to. However, since Web sites send notifications to our servers, we can potentially both implicitly (e.g., via source IP) and explicitly (e.g., via voluntary application server self-idenitification for dev metrics) correlate these identifiers with the sending Web site.

We worked with legal to arrive at plain language of "Firefox sends information to Mozilla about what sites you have agreed to receive Push Notification from." It may not be ideal, but I feel it's accurate.

-chris