Thunderbird Council Elections 2017 - Preliminary Electoral Roll

Jörg Knobloch

Jan 28, 2017, 6:22:30 AM1/28/17
to tb-pl...@mozilla.org, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Dear mailing list subscriber, dear Mozillian and friend of Thunderbird,

The next Thunderbird Council election is coming up. The Thunderbird
Council is proposing that this time people eligible to vote and to stand
as candidates need to be on an electoral roll. We propose a very simple
measure to include people on the electoral roll: Dedication to the
Thunderbird project as expressed by contributions. We suggest to include
people who over a two year timespan 2015-2016 have dedicated at least 20
hours to the project.

Contribution can be any of the following: Triaging, fixing or reviewing
bugs, giving support on SUMO or other forums, localising, testing and
writing or reviewing add-ons. Simply subscribing to tb-planning will not
give anyone the right to vote, but active participation in discussions will.

This very simple rule will spare us any complicated metric, like, this
many patches submitted, this many BMO or SUMO comments written, author
of add-on with this many users, etc.

Since we already know the people who are dedicating time, their most
precious asset, to Thunderbird, I have prepared a preliminary electoral
roll. So far I have enrolled about 100 people, see
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Council_Elections_2017. *People who
are not on the preliminary roll can contact me and ask to be included,
mentioning their contribution. The idea is not to make it hard to be on
the electoral roll.*

A few comments:

*This is a proposed list following the proposed rules.* If we decide
during the course of the discussion that we want a different set of
rules, the list will of course change.

Whilst I know contributors who show up on BMO, it is harder to include
those who don't. I don't know all the add-on authors, so I have included
the authors of the most popular add-ons which have had updates during
2015/2016. I also don't know may support people or localisers. So if
your name is not on the list, please don't take offence, I didn't
deliberately ignore or undervalue your contribution.

For 12 SUMO contributors nominated by fellow councillor Matt Harris I
don't have e-mail addresses. Please supply your e-mail addresses or you
won't be able to vote.

Repeating: *Please self-nominate if I missed to include you!*

Further comments?

--
Jörg Knobloch
Thunderbird Developer (Thunderbird, Compose and Mailnews Editor and MIME

Filipus Klutiero

Jan 28, 2017, 10:19:52 AM1/28/17
to Jörg Knobloch, tb-pl...@mozilla.org, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org
Thank you Jörg.
I doubt I would self-nominate myself at this point, but I certainly will not without a reasonable understanding of what the Thunderbird Council does. The closest to a description which I found is the second table in https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird

--
Filipus Klutiero
http://www.philippecloutier.com

San Emmanuel James

Jan 28, 2017, 3:37:33 PM1/28/17
to Jörg Knobloch, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org, gover...@lists.mozilla.org, tb-pl...@mozilla.org
Thanks for sharing,

I didn't know this council exists,
> --
> Jörg Knobloch
> Thunderbird Developer (Thunderbird, Compose and Mailnews Editor and MIME
> peer) - Member of the Thunderbird Council

San Emmanuel James
Community Lead, Mozilla Uganda
Email: sanj...@mozilla-uganda.org
Tel. +256775955559, +256711955559
Innovation, Openness and Opportunity on the open web.

Gervase Markham

Jan 30, 2017, 4:09:26 AM1/30/17
to Filipus Klutiero, Jörg Knobloch, tb-pl...@mozilla.org, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org
On 28/01/17 15:19, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> I doubt I would self-nominate myself at this point, but I certainly will
> not without a reasonable understanding of what the Thunderbird Council
> does. The closest to a description which I found is the second table in
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird

Do not be confused - this is not self-nominating for election to the
Council, this is self-nominating for being one of the people who
_elects_ the Council. Anyone who has made a significant contribution to
Thunderbird who is not on the list should self-nominate.

Gerv

Filipus Klutiero

Jan 30, 2017, 12:03:15 PM1/30/17
to Gervase Markham, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org, dev-apps-t...@lists.mozilla.org, tb-pl...@mozilla.org
On 2017-01-30 04:08, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 28/01/17 15:19, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>> I doubt I would self-nominate myself at this point, but I certainly will
>> not without a reasonable understanding of what the Thunderbird Council
>> does. The closest to a description which I found is the second table in
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Thunderbird
> Do not be confused - this is not self-nominating for election to the
> Council, this is self-nominating for being one of the people who
> _elects_ the Council. Anyone who has made a significant contribution to
> Thunderbird who is not on the list should self-nominate.
>
> Gerv

Thanks for the clarification, but to avoid a new confusion, according to Jörg the electoral roll comprises neither just electors nor just candidates, but both.

That being said, this is besides my point. Contributors will have low interest to either vote or volunteer if they do not know what the Thunderbird Council is.

lant...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2017, 4:35:31 AM3/1/17
to mozilla-g...@lists.mozilla.org