Re: Is secnews down?

Rinaldi J. Montessi

Mar 26, 2008, 11:32:27 PM3/26/08

http://www.affordablecaviar.com/

--
Command, n.:
Statement presented by a human and accepted by a computer in

JoeS

Mar 26, 2008, 11:47:44 PM3/26/08
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> JoeS wrote:

>>> Hi Tonya,
>>>
>>> Ignore clay, you are not in trouble! :)
>>>
>>> There is a cert problem with secnews, its being worked on. There is a
>>> thread on the subject in mozilla.general, if you want roe information.
>>>
>>> Lee
>> If you really, really want roe information.
>> Follow-up to mozilla general.
>
> http://www.affordablecaviar.com/

I wonder just what is included in:

--
JoeS

Jay Garcia

Mar 27, 2008, 9:25:24 AM3/27/08
On 26.03.2008 22:23, JoeS wrote:

> If you really, really want roe information.
> Follow-up to mozilla general.

Eggcellent suggestion. :-)

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Ron K.

Mar 27, 2008, 2:36:25 PM3/27/08
Jay Garcia keyboarded, On 3/27/2008 9:25 AM :

> On 26.03.2008 22:23, JoeS wrote:

"Good diagnosis" said the Sturgeon General.

--
Ron K.

Message has been deleted

Daniel

Mar 27, 2008, 6:09:10 PM3/27/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 26.03.2008 22:23, JoeS wrote:

Too late, Jay, Easter Eggs had gone already.

Daniel

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Mar 27, 2008, 7:20:59 PM3/27/08

actually, I thought the reference to eggcellent was a
tribute to the late Vincent Price who played the
supervillian Egghead on the old Batman TB series, who kept
saying things like eggcellent, eggstinct, and other egg sayings

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Daniel

Mar 28, 2008, 4:44:24 AM3/28/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 26.03.2008 22:23, JoeS wrote:

Oh, come on now, we really are showing our age, aren't we??? Although, I
suppose, they have been repeated on cable T.V. more recently.

(and have you got something on your mind, Peter?? "old Batman TB
series"....really!!)

Daniel

Jay Garcia

Mar 28, 2008, 7:26:29 AM3/28/08
On 28.03.2008 03:44, Daniel wrote:

>>> Too late, Jay, Easter Eggs had gone already.
>>>
>>> Daniel
>>
>> actually, I thought the reference to eggcellent was a tribute to the
>> late Vincent Price who played the supervillian Egghead on the old Batman
>> TB series, who kept saying things like eggcellent, eggstinct, and other
>> egg sayings
>>

> Oh, come on now, we really are showing our age, aren't we??? Although, I
> suppose, they have been repeated on cable T.V. more recently.
>
> (and have you got something on your mind, Peter?? "old Batman TB
> series"....really!!)
>
> Daniel

I was on a flight out to Los Angeles a very long time ago. United
Airlines at the time stopped over in Denver. Once we got back in the
air, I heard a very familiar voice in the seat behind me. It was Vincent
Price. We talked all the way to LA but not about movies and such. All we
talked about was making bread, one of his passions ... mine also, along
with Cajun Cooking .. What a guy, very cordial. Sitting next to him was
Coleen Dewhurst, nice lady but had no idea how to make bread. A few rows
up was Norm Crosby, self-centered and quite rude to say the least,
grumbling the whole way to LA.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Mar 28, 2008, 12:12:51 PM3/28/08
Daniel wrote:
> (and have you got something on your mind, Peter?? "old Batman TB
> series"....really!!)

no, but since you asked, did you know that there were:

42 celebs played villains
9 celebs played non-villains
13 celebs appeared on a bat-climb
2 visiting heros from another show appeared
4 bit parts of celebs before they became famous
and 2 Riddlers
out of all that there were 120 shows in three seasons
the first villain was the Riddler starring Frank Gorshin
and the last villain was Zsa Zsa Gabor's Minerva

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 28, 2008, 2:23:43 PM3/28/08

What's wrong with Batman series. I was around to watch Howdy-Doody with
Buffalo Bob Smith, Claribel the Clown and everything. :-)

Or how about Lamb Chops with Sheri Lewis.
I thought the reason why the internet is stuck in the old days was
because of us old whipper Snappers (I am 59 this very day) Now I know
its because of all these youngsters that don't know what the heck they
are doing so they are afraid of change. ;-)

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Blinky the Shark

Mar 28, 2008, 5:07:30 PM3/28/08

Shari Lewis? Bob Smith?

Hey, you kids -- get off my lawn!

Let's talk "Kukla, Fran and Ollie". ;)

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Rinaldi J. Montessi

Mar 28, 2008, 8:06:15 PM3/28/08

Yeah! And Flesh, err, Flash Gordon, and Tom Mix, and Plunk your magic
twanger, Froggy!

--
"Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat."
-- M. Devine and P. Larson, Computer Science 340

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 28, 2008, 8:14:21 PM3/28/08
I remember them as well

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 28, 2008, 8:27:42 PM3/28/08
The Lone Ranger
My Friend Flicka
Sky King
Rin Tin Tin
Lost in Space
The Mark of Zorro
Captain Kangaroo.
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
Wyatt Earp
Paladin
The Rifleman
Bat Masterson
The Mavericks (Bret and Bart)
Wells Fargo
The Virginian
Rawhide.
Roy Rodgers & Dale Evans.
Gunsmoke.
Steve Allen
Uncle Milty
Twilight Zone
Perry Como
The Andy Griff show.
Andy Williams

I might can think of some more off the top of my head but my head's sore
from remembering these. :-D

JoeS

Mar 28, 2008, 11:18:49 PM3/28/08
Well, how about these:
# Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour, which began on radio in the 1930s under original host Major Bowes
# The Morey Amsterdam Show, a comedy/variety show hosted by Morey Amsterdam, which started on CBS before moving to DuMont in 1949
# Captain Video and His Video Rangers, a hugely popular kids' science fiction series[14][15]
# The Arthur Murray Party, a dance program
# With This Ring, a panel show on marriage
# Rocky King, Inside Detective, a private eye series starring Roscoe Karns
# The Plainclothesman, a camera's-eye-view detective series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuMont_Television_Network

BTW Happy Birthday Phillip.

--
JoeS

Blinky the Shark

Mar 29, 2008, 2:02:23 AM3/29/08

I remember Midnight, Andy's cat, too. :)

I just watched a couple of Tex Ritter westerns that I got for a dollar
(for both) from a rack at the supermarket. In one of them, the bad guy
gang rode with black capes with big white skull'n'crossbones emblems on
them. I was waiting for one of them to confuse the two genre further
and come out with an "Arrrrr!" where a "Giddup!" was appropriate. :)
(And on that note, I also saw "Blackbeard The Pirate" this week.)

ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president of
the US, but I think there are four.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Mar 29, 2008, 7:22:39 AM3/29/08

Mar 29, 2008, 8:27:48 AM3/29/08
Blinky the Shark wrote:

> ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president of
> the US, but I think there are four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service

Rinaldi
--
Since we have to speak well of the dead, let's knock them while they're
alive.

Message has been deleted

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 29, 2008, 11:25:50 AM3/29/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 29.03.2008 04:18, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused JoeS to
> generate the following:? :
> Television - pah! Didn't you have better things to do as a kid?? Like
> busting windows, climbing trees, "street wars" (top-bottom ends,
> left-right sides), making faces at the local patrol cop (on FOOT.....)
>
> reg (still doesn't watch TV)

Nope. If I went out side my Yard until I as about 10-11 I got my tail
whipped, by my folks. I was born with Epilepsy, cause my Dr squeezing
with the Tongs they used, way to hard on my head while being pulled out
of the birth canal. So they were fearful of my getting hurt.

Later on when I went to school I was the brunt of much bullying by other
students and one Teacher. I got my axx whipped so many times that the
last time someone Tried it took six other boys and several parents to
get me off the SO... that was trying beat up on me. I broke his nose in
several pieces, today we are good friends but I can still see evidence
of my handi-work. after that was still made fun of , but at least
someone wasn't try to whip my axx all the time, they just left me alone.

So played very little outside. That's why today I don't get out much.
And why I don't drink, smoke, or chase wild,wild women.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 29, 2008, 11:28:17 AM3/29/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 29.03.2008 13:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Rinaldi J.
> Montessi to generate the following:? :

>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>>> ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president
>>> of the US, but I think there are four.
>>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service
>>

>> Rinaldi
>>

> hmmmm - can't seem to find General Failure :-(
>
> reg
Would that be an aka for Bill gates? ;-)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Mar 29, 2008, 12:43:21 PM3/29/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Rin Tin Tin

actually, RinTinTin was such a horrible actor, Warner Bros
fired him, and they used his son. He was lovable and
adorable. He was so good, that son of RinTinTin brought
Warner Bros out of bankruptcy and into the power house it is
today.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Mar 29, 2008, 12:49:33 PM3/29/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Nope. If I went out side my Yard until I as about 10-11 I got my tail
> whipped, by my folks.

you have a tail!? I always knew you were strange but you
just proved it. loloti

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Mar 29, 2008, 1:06:53 PM3/29/08
JoeS wrote:
> # Captain Video and His Video Rangers, a hugely popular kids' science fiction series[14][15]

that was Ed Norton's favorite show

Moz Champion (Dan)

Mar 29, 2008, 3:06:27 PM3/29/08
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president of
>> the US, but I think there are four.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service
>
> Rinaldi

Hmmm, Generals?
General of the Armies Washington
General of the Army Grant
General of the Army Eisenhower
General Jackson
Major General Garfield
Major General Hayes
Major General Taylor
Major General WH Harrison
Brigadier General B Harrison
Brigadier General Arthur
Brigadier General Johnson

Leonidas Jones

Mar 29, 2008, 5:15:02 PM3/29/08
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president of
>> the US, but I think there are four.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service
>
> Rinaldi

That's cheating, where is the fun in that. :)

Lets see.

George Washington
Andrew Jackson
Zachary Taylor
U.S. Grant
Rutherford B. Hayes
William Henry Harrison
Dwight Eisenhower

There were other Union vets who bacame president, but I am not sure if
they were generals or colonels.

Now I will look and see.

Lee

Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Mar 29, 2008, 6:03:25 PM3/29/08

Mar 29, 2008, 10:21:23 PM3/29/08
Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd changed his name), saw him up close at circus
Tex Ritter (already mentioned but his son was John Ritter of Three's Company)

Curtis R Anderson

Mar 29, 2008, 10:16:20 PM3/29/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>
>> Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>>> On 26.03.2008 22:23, JoeS wrote:

You really shouldn't egg them on like that.
--
Curtis R. Anderson, Co-creator of "Gleepy the Hen", still
Email not munged, SpamAssassin [tm] in effect.

Curtis R Anderson

Mar 29, 2008, 10:21:01 PM3/29/08
Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Shari Lewis? Bob Smith?

He's called Buffalo Bob Smith because he really is from Buffalo. The
Buffalo Broadcasters Hall of Fame have a "Buffalo Bob Smith" award for
someone who passed through Buffalo and gained fame elsewhere.

> Hey, you kids -- get off my lawn!
>
> Let's talk "Kukla, Fran and Ollie". ;)

Kukla and Ollie even appeared on at least one episode of the '70s-'80s
version of _Match Game_. An episode is on a "Best Of" DVD compilation.

David McRitchie

Mar 29, 2008, 11:35:28 PM3/29/08
Captain Video
Outer Limits
Dave Garaway
Steve Allan
Johnny Carson
You Bet Your Life (Groucho Marx)

David McRitchie

Mar 29, 2008, 11:47:03 PM3/29/08

David McRitchie

Mar 30, 2008, 12:55:15 AM3/30/08
Western Wrangler

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 1:24:09 AM3/30/08
*-* On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:27:42 -0400,
*-* In Article FNqdnQJBlb1iEXDa...@mozilla.org,
*-* Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote
*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

[ ... ]

> [...]

You're just a baaaby. ;-) I'll be 67 Friday, and there are
others here (Jay, BeeNeR, Irwin) who can call me a baaaby. :-D

>>> Shari Lewis? Bob Smith?

>>> Hey, you kids -- get off my lawn!

>>> Let's talk "Kukla, Fran and Ollie". ;)

>> Yeah! And Flesh, err, Flash Gordon, and Tom Mix, and Plunk your
>> magic twanger, Froggy!

> The Lone Ranger
> My Friend Flicka
> Sky King
> Rin Tin Tin
> Lost in Space
> The Mark of Zorro
> Captain Kangaroo.
> Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
> Wyatt Earp
> Paladin

The title of the show was actually "Have Gun, Will Travel".

> The Rifleman
> Bat Masterson
> The Mavericks (Bret and Bart)
> Wells Fargo
> The Virginian
> Rawhide.
> Roy Rodgers & Dale Evans.
> Gunsmoke.
> Steve Allen
> Uncle Milty
> Twilight Zone
> Perry Como
> The Andy Griff show.
> Andy Williams

> I might can think of some more off the top of my head but my head's
> sore from remembering these. :-D

The Range Rider (starring Jock Mahoney)
The Cisco Kid (starring Duncan Renaldo, with Leo Carillo as his
sidekick Pancho)
Fury
Death Valley Days
The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickock

Then there were the radio shows of the late '40s and early '50s.

Bobby Benson
Green Hornet (later also a TV series)
Straight Arrow (sponsored by Nabisco Shredded Wheat)
Sky King (several years before it was a TV series)

There were others (e.g., Gunsmoke, The Lone Ranger) but those
four are the ones I remember listening to.

Trivia:

1. What was the relationship between The Green Hornet and another
radio/comic book/TV hero of the day?
2. Who played Gunsmoke's Matt Dillon on the radio?
3. The stars of two of the listed TV shows are closely related.
Who are they and how are they related?

Ken Whiton

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 1:24:15 AM3/30/08
*-* On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:18:49 -0400,
*-* In Article JsOdnTlgveiEKHDa...@mozilla.org,
*-* JoeS wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> Shari Lewis? Bob Smith?

>>> Hey, you kids -- get off my lawn!

>>> Let's talk "Kukla, Fran and Ollie". ;)

>> I remember them as well

> Well, how about these:
> # Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour, which began on radio in the
> 1930s under original host Major Bowes
> # The Morey Amsterdam Show, a comedy/variety show hosted by Morey
> Amsterdam, which started on CBS before moving to DuMont in 1949
> # Captain Video and His Video Rangers, a hugely popular kids'
> science fiction series[14][15]
> # The Arthur Murray Party, a dance program
> # With This Ring, a panel show on marriage
> # Rocky King, Inside Detective, a private eye series starring Roscoe
> Karns
> # The Plainclothesman, a camera's-eye-view detective series

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuMont_Television_Network

> BTW Happy Birthday Phillip.

Captain Video and Arthur Murray are the only ones from that list
that I remember watching. I knew about Ted Mack's show but I don't
remember ever watching it.

Daniel

Mar 30, 2008, 5:36:37 AM3/30/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 29.03.2008 16:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :
> well - we have at least that last one in common.... I also just lay down
> and wait (in ecstasy) for them to do their worst!
>
> reg

Is that the wild, wild women you lay down for, reg, or the school bullies??

Daniel

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Mar 30, 2008, 11:39:42 AM3/30/08

Mar 30, 2008, 12:08:50 PM3/30/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

"The Thing"! He was finally fried by electricity. That was my first
"scary" movie. Had nightmares for weeks after that! What do I win? ;-)

jetjock

Mar 30, 2008, 12:17:39 PM3/30/08
Ken Whiton wrote:

William Conrad. He later narrated "The Fugitive" and "Bullwinkle" and
played "Cannon", Nero Wolfe" and "Jake and the Fatman". The reason James
Arness got the role of Matt Dillon on TV was Conrad got too fat to play him.

> 3. The stars of two of the listed TV shows are closely related.
> Who are they and how are they related?
>
> Ken Whiton
>
> FIDO: 1:132/152
> InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

Jay Garcia

Mar 30, 2008, 12:23:30 PM3/30/08

Mar 30, 2008, 3:27:49 PM3/30/08
On 30.03.2008 12:40, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> So, my question to your radio folks is who was
> longest-running and best known radio incarnation of Simon
> Templar?

The same guy who played the lead in the original House of Wax, also a
really great gourmet cook who wrote many books on the subject.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 30, 2008, 4:45:31 PM3/30/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> Nope. If I went out side my Yard until I as about 10-11 I got my tail
>> whipped, by my folks.
>
> you have a tail!? I always knew you were strange but you just proved
> it. loloti

Its clean variation ass, butt, buttocks! ;-)

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Mar 30, 2008, 4:49:36 PM3/30/08
David McRitchie wrote:
> Western Wrangler

I wear Long Haul.

David McRitchie

Mar 30, 2008, 6:18:31 PM3/30/08
"Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" wrote...

> David McRitchie wrote:
>> Western Wrangler
>
> I wear Long Haul.

Maybe it was Western Round-Up, it was Cowboy movies
and there was the Wrangler, (early 1950's)

Richard Diamond, Private Eye (Mary Tyler Moore was his secretary Sam ( "legs"))
Dragnet
Boston Blackie
Highway Patrol
I Love Lucy
Our Miss Brooks
Ed Sullivan
Hallmark Hall of Fame
Armstrong Theater

Outer Limits
77 Sunset Strip and several spin-offs
I Spy

Daniel

Mar 30, 2008, 8:15:07 PM3/30/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 30.03.2008 11:36, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Daniel to
> generate the following:? :
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 29.03.2008 16:25, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Phillip M.
>>> Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

<snip>

>>> well - we have at least that last one in common.... I also just lay
>>> down and wait (in ecstasy) for them to do their worst!
>>>
>>> reg
>>>

>> Is that the wild, wild women you lay down for, reg, or the school
>> bullies??
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> women, Daniel-- note the "in ecstasy" bit. Never ever laid down for
> Playground Bullies - I crawled, as soon as they came on the scene. Made
> life easier :-)
>
> reg

Well, there are those who would lay down, in ecstasy, at the thought of
getting beaten up, too! Maybe you are/were one of them.

(just joking)

Daniel

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Mar 30, 2008, 7:35:09 PM3/30/08
Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 30.03.2008 12:40, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

thats right, and noticed how we came right back to the
original guy

jetjock

Mar 30, 2008, 10:55:00 PM3/30/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

>On 30.03.2008 11:08, jetjock wrote:

Have you checked the price of jet fuel lately? I'll take it!! :-D

jetjock

Mar 30, 2008, 10:55:58 PM3/30/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

>On 30.03.2008 12:40, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

Vincent Price.

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 11:51:24 PM3/30/08
*-* On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:39:42 -0500,
*-* In Article NYOdnWwEKdhiLnLa...@mozilla.org,
*-* Jay Garcia wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> On 30.03.2008 00:24, Ken Whiton wrote:

[ ... ]

>> Trivia:

>> 3. The stars of two of the listed TV shows are closely
>> related. Who are they and how are they related?

> James Arness (Gunsmoke) and Peter Graves (Mission Impossible) are
> brothers. If you listen real close, they have the exact some voice
> pitch and accent.

That's correct. The family name is actually "Aurness". Although
"Mission Impossible" wasn't listed, Graves had also appeared in
"Fury", which was listed.

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 11:51:19 PM3/30/08
*-* On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:17:03 +0200,
*-* In Article _KSdnbRQkqcvGXLa...@mozilla.org,
*-* squaredancer wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> On 30.03.2008 07:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton

> to generate the following:? :

>> *-* JoeS wrote

>> [ ... ]

>>> Well, how about these:
>>> # Ted Mack's Original Amateur Hour, which began on radio in the
>>> 1930s under original host Major Bowes
>>> # The Morey Amsterdam Show, a comedy/variety show hosted by Morey
>>> Amsterdam, which started on CBS before moving to DuMont in 1949
>>> # Captain Video and His Video Rangers, a hugely popular kids'
>>> science fiction series[14][15]
>>> # The Arthur Murray Party, a dance program
>>> # With This Ring, a panel show on marriage
>>> # Rocky King, Inside Detective, a private eye series starring
>>> Roscoe Karns
>>> # The Plainclothesman, a camera's-eye-view detective series

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuMont_Television_Network

>>> BTW Happy Birthday Phillip.

>> Captain Video and Arthur Murray are the only ones from that
>> list that I remember watching. I knew about Ted Mack's show but I
>> don't remember ever watching it.

> hmmmm, Ken! Getting old and forgetful, are we??

For me the answers are "yes" and "no", respectively. Presumably
your use of the word "we" means that for you both answers are "yes"?
;-)

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 11:51:35 PM3/30/08
*-* On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:08:50 -0500,
*-* In Article 7bydnYjs_76PJnLa...@mozilla.org,
*-* jetjock wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> Jay Garcia wrote:

>> On 30.03.2008 00:24, Ken Whiton wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> Trivia:

>>> 3. The stars of two of the listed TV shows are closely
>>> related. Who are they and how are they related?

>> James Arness (Gunsmoke) and Peter Graves (Mission Impossible) are
>> brothers. If you listen real close, they have the exact some voice
>> pitch and accent.

>> James Arness played the monster from outer space in a classic
>> Sci-Fi movie, a real "screamer" in it's day. Name the movie.

> "The Thing"!

The full title is actually "The Thing from Another World" (from
1951), although it's commonly called simply "The Thing", as here.

> He was finally fried by electricity. That was my
> first "scary" movie. Had nightmares for weeks after that! What do I
> win? ;-)

I thought about asking the same question, but since James Arness
was part of the answer to one of the questions I decided not to
include another question about him in the same set.

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 11:51:40 PM3/30/08
*-* On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:17:39 -0500,
*-* In Article P7ednYeopve-IHLa...@mozilla.org,
*-* jetjock wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> Ken Whiton wrote:

>> *-* Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote

>> [ ... ]

[ ... ]

>> Trivia:

> William Conrad.

Correct.

> He later narrated "The Fugitive" and "Bullwinkle"
> and played "Cannon", Nero Wolfe" and "Jake and the Fatman". The
> reason James Arness got the role of Matt Dillon on TV was Conrad got
> too fat to play him.

Who was offered the role of Matt Dillon before Arness, but turned
it down and recommended Arness for it?

>> 3. The stars of two of the listed TV shows are closely
>> related. Who are they and how are they related?

That's two of my original three questions down, and one (plus a
new one) to go. :-)

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 11:51:45 PM3/30/08
*-* On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:40:21 -0700,
*-* In Article bLednWCLUv4eTXLa...@mozilla.org,
*-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> Ken Whiton wrote:

>> 2. Who played Gunsmoke's Matt Dillon on the radio?

> the same guy who provided the Narrators voice on the Rocky and
> Bullwinkle show. The Fat Man himself.

Correct, but as you've probably already seen by now, jj beat you
to it. ;-)

Ken Whiton

Mar 30, 2008, 11:51:50 PM3/30/08
*-* On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:18:31 -0400,
*-* In Article NM6dnUBvfIRyjG3a...@mozilla.org,
*-* David McRitchie wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" wrote...

>> David McRitchie wrote:
>>> Western Wrangler

>> I wear Long Haul.

> Maybe it was Western Round-Up, it was Cowboy movies

In Boston the afternoon cowboy movies show was called "Hoss Opry
Playhouse".

> and there was the Wrangler, (early 1950's)

> Richard Diamond, Private Eye (Mary Tyler Moore was his secretary
> Sam ( "legs"))
> Dragnet
> Boston Blackie
> Highway Patrol

Starring Broderick Crawford (or "Bodgie" as friends of my parents
used to refer to him). "10-4" (funny, but they never seemed to be
able get to "10-5" :-D ).

> I Love Lucy
> Our Miss Brooks
> Ed Sullivan

Originally titled "Toast Of The Town".

> Hallmark Hall of Fame
> Armstrong Theater

> Outer Limits 77 Sunset Strip and several spin-offs I Spy

Ken Whiton

Leonidas Jones

Mar 31, 2008, 12:04:24 AM3/31/08

John Wayne

Lee

Ken Whiton

Mar 31, 2008, 2:17:10 AM3/31/08
*-* On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:04:24 -0400,
*-* In Article qOOdneI67ddV_23a...@mozilla.org,
*-* Leonidas Jones wrote

*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>> *-* jetjock wrote

>>> Ken Whiton wrote:

[ ... ]

> [...]

[ ... ]

>>> William Conrad.

>> Correct.

>>> He later narrated "The Fugitive" and "Bullwinkle"
>>> and played "Cannon", Nero Wolfe" and "Jake and the Fatman". The
>>> reason James Arness got the role of Matt Dillon on TV was Conrad
>>> got too fat to play him.

>> Who was offered the role of Matt Dillon before Arness, but
>> turned it down and recommended Arness for it?

> John Wayne

Correct.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jay Garcia

Mar 31, 2008, 8:52:03 AM3/31/08
On 30.03.2008 21:55, jetjock wrote:

>>>"The Thing"! He was finally fried by electricity. That was my first
>>>"scary" movie. Had nightmares for weeks after that! What do I win? ;-)
>>>

>>A gallon of JP4 .. :-)
>>

> Have you checked the price of jet fuel lately? I'll take it!! :-D

Last price I remember was $1.50/gallon for JP4. No idea how long ago
that was.

jetjock

Mar 31, 2008, 12:02:31 PM3/31/08
Jay Garcia wrote:

>On 30.03.2008 21:55, jetjock wrote:

$1.85 last March. This March: $3.48. Now you know why airline ticket
prices are going crazy!

JAS

Mar 31, 2008, 1:36:01 PM3/31/08
I work part time at our local airport in Nebraska and just got a load of
100 LL avagas in on Friday and it was $5.10 per gallon, we mark it up
.40 cents-a 1810 gallon dump was $9,231.00

--
You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment that you get at the hands of someone else.

Jay Garcia

Mar 31, 2008, 2:23:40 PM3/31/08

If a Tripacer will get me there then that's the only way I fly. No hands
on wheel, trim tab wheel only ... :-)

jetjock

Mar 31, 2008, 2:34:48 PM3/31/08
Ken Whiton wrote:

He was the Lone Ranger's grand-nephew.

>>> 2. Who played Gunsmoke's Matt Dillon on the radio?
>>

>> William Conrad.
>

> Correct.
>
>> He later narrated "The Fugitive" and "Bullwinkle"
>> and played "Cannon", Nero Wolfe" and "Jake and the Fatman". The
>> reason James Arness got the role of Matt Dillon on TV was Conrad got
>> too fat to play him.
>

> Who was offered the role of Matt Dillon before Arness, but turned
> it down and recommended Arness for it?

John Wayne.

>>> 3. The stars of two of the listed TV shows are closely
>>> related. Who are they and how are they related?
>>

> That's two of my original three questions down, and one (plus a
> new one) to go. :-)
>
> Ken Whiton
>
> FIDO: 1:132/152
> InterNet: kenw...@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

jetjock

Mar 31, 2008, 2:37:01 PM3/31/08
Ken Whiton wrote:

I see Lee beat me out on this one, but see my answer anyway for an
answer to question #1

Ken Whiton

Apr 1, 2008, 12:22:26 AM4/1/08
*-* On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:34:48 -0500,
*-* In Article mNudneQQGPdas2za...@mozilla.org,

*-* jetjock wrote
*-* About Re: Is secnews down?

> He was the Lone Ranger's grand-nephew.

Correct.

>>> William Conrad.

>> Correct.

>>> He later narrated "The Fugitive" and "Bullwinkle"
>>> and played "Cannon", Nero Wolfe" and "Jake and the Fatman". The
>>> reason James Arness got the role of Matt Dillon on TV was Conrad
>>> got too fat to play him.

>> Who was offered the role of Matt Dillon before Arness, but
>> turned it down and recommended Arness for it?

> John Wayne.

Correct, but as you've already seen by now, Lee beat you to it.
;-)

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 4:21:55 AM4/1/08
Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president of
>> the US, but I think there are four.

My three are Taulor, Grant and Eisenhower.

No, I *do* know four, and I'm embarrassed to say I forgot *Washington*. Ook!

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service

Ah! So there are more than four. I *think* my idea of there being four
was about there being four that had no experience in elected civilian
positions or even federal appointements (like cabinet positions); i.e.,
they were elected with *only* their generalship as experience.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 4:22:30 AM4/1/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 29.03.2008 13:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Rinaldi J.
> Montessi to generate the following:? :

>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>>> ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president of
>>> the US, but I think there are four.
>>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service
>>
>> Rinaldi
>>

> hmmmm - can't seem to find General Failure :-(

And don't forget General Quarters.

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 4:24:39 AM4/1/08
David McRitchie wrote:
> Captain Video
> Outer Limits
> Dave Garaway
> Steve Allan
> Johnny Carson
> You Bet Your Life (Groucho Marx)

It's high time someone injected some culture into this sad state of
nostalgic affairs. :)

Studio One
Playhouse 90

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 4:24:59 AM4/1/08
David McRitchie wrote:
> Western Wrangler

I wear his jeans...

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 4:25:48 AM4/1/08
David McRitchie wrote:
> "Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T" wrote...

>> David McRitchie wrote:
>>> Western Wrangler
>> I wear Long Haul.
>
> Maybe it was Western Round-Up, it was Cowboy movies
> and there was the Wrangler, (early 1950's)
>
> Richard Diamond, Private Eye (Mary Tyler Moore was his secretary Sam ( "legs"))
> Dragnet
> Boston Blackie

I Led Three Lives
Racket Squad

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Fred Winter

Apr 1, 2008, 2:07:24 PM4/1/08
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 29.03.2008 13:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Rinaldi J.
>> Montessi to generate the following:? :

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidents_by_military_service
>>>

>>> Rinaldi
>>>

>> hmmmm - can't seem to find General Failure :-(
>
> And don't forget General Quarters.

And General Hauling.

Message has been deleted

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Apr 1, 2008, 2:25:22 PM4/1/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 01.04.2008 10:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
> Shark to generate the following:? :

>> squaredancer wrote:
>>
>>> On 29.03.2008 13:27, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Rinaldi J.
>>> Montessi to generate the following:? :

>>> hmmmm - can't seem to find General Failure :-(
>>>

>> And don't forget General Quarters.
>>

> I once knew a guy called Hind Quarters...
>
> reg
Once knew a fellow name Colonel Merriman.

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailto:pjo...@kimbanet.com

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Apr 1, 2008, 2:26:19 PM4/1/08
squaredancer wrote:
> On 01.04.2008 10:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
> Shark to generate the following:? :
>> David McRitchie wrote:
>>
>>> Captain Video Outer Limits
>>> Dave Garaway
>>> Steve Allan
>>> Johnny Carson
>>> You Bet Your Life (Groucho Marx)
>>>

>> It's high time someone injected some culture into this sad state of
>> nostalgic affairs. :)
>>
>> Studio One
>> Playhouse 90
>>

> huh! you want culture, buy a hunk of cheese or a tub of yogurt -
> they're cultured!
>
> reg
especially *Blue Chess*

Melchert Fruitema

Apr 1, 2008, 3:07:26 PM4/1/08
On 01-04-2008 20:26 CET, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T composed this
enchanting statement:
> squaredancer wrote:
>> <x> huh! you want culture, buy a hunk of cheese or a tub of yogurt -
>> they're cultured!
>>
>> reg
> especially *Blue Chess*

Playing chess with Danish Blue?

--
Kind regards,
Melchert

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 1, 2008, 4:46:44 PM4/1/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 01.04.2008 10:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
>> Shark to generate the following:? :

>>> And don't forget General Quarters.
>>>

>> I once knew a guy called Hind Quarters...
>>
>> reg
> Once knew a fellow name Colonel Merriman.

if Ella Fitzgerald married Allan Funt [of the Candid Camera
fame], what would her name be?

help!!!! Emails to me may become public

Laws, which applies everywhere, except for some strange
reason, not to the mozilla.org servers, where you may get
banned.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 1, 2008, 4:51:33 PM4/1/08
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> ObGeneral: I can think of three generals that have become president of
>>> the US, but I think there are four.
>
> My three are Taulor, Grant and Eisenhower.

did you know that Eisenhower received the Order of the
Elephant?: http://www.answers.com/topic/order-of-the-elephant

boy, I just can't get away from these elephants

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 4:13:19 PM4/1/08

General Relativity.

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 4:14:17 PM4/1/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> squaredancer wrote:
>> On 01.04.2008 10:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
>> Shark to generate the following:? :

>>> It's high time someone injected some culture into this sad state of
>>> nostalgic affairs. :)
>>>
>>> Studio One
>>> Playhouse 90
>>>

>> huh! you want culture, buy a hunk of cheese or a tub of yogurt -
>> they're cultured!
>>
>> reg
> especially *Blue Chess*

I don't think I've ever played that kind.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Apr 1, 2008, 6:38:01 PM4/1/08
Melchert Fruitema wrote:
> On 01-04-2008 20:26 CET, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T composed this
> enchanting statement:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> <x> huh! you want culture, buy a hunk of cheese or a tub of yogurt -
>>> they're cultured!
>>>
>>> reg
>> especially *Blue Chess*
>>
> Playing chess with Danish Blue?

Misspelled was supposed have been *Blue Cheese*

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T

Apr 1, 2008, 6:39:25 PM4/1/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> squaredancer wrote:
>>> On 01.04.2008 10:22, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
>>> Shark to generate the following:? :

>>> I once knew a guy called Hind Quarters...
>>>
>>> reg
>> Once knew a fellow name Colonel Merriman.
>>

> if Ella Fitzgerald married Allan Funt [of the Candid Camera fame], what
> would her name be?

Ella Funt (bag of peanuts please!)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 1, 2008, 7:04:33 PM4/1/08
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> Once knew a fellow name Colonel Merriman.
>>>
>> if Ella Fitzgerald married Allan Funt [of the Candid Camera fame], what
>> would her name be?
>>
> Ella Funt (bag of peanuts please!)

so, we're back to elephants again! :-)

Then there's Norman Lear who named his daughter Chanda.

Daniel

Apr 1, 2008, 7:28:56 PM4/1/08
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Fred Winter > wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> And don't forget General Quarters.
>>>

>> And General Hauling.
>
> General Relativity.

General Motors!!

Daniel

Apr 1, 2008, 7:32:08 PM4/1/08
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
>>
>> My three are Taulor, Grant and Eisenhower.
>
> did you know that Eisenhower received the Order of the Elephant?:
> http://www.answers.com/topic/order-of-the-elephant
>
> boy, I just can't get away from these elephants

Peter.Potamus.the.Purple.Elephant

Daniel

Apr 1, 2008, 7:35:33 PM4/1/08
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> David McRitchie wrote:
>>> I wear Long Haul.
>>
>> Maybe it was Western Round-Up, it was Cowboy movies
>> and there was the Wrangler, (early 1950's)
>>
>> Richard Diamond, Private Eye (Mary Tyler Moore was his secretary Sam
>> ( "legs"))
>> Dragnet
>> Boston Blackie
>
> I Led Three Lives
> Racket Squad

What was Racket Squad all about??? A group of people that made heaps of
noise (Racket), a squad of police types that went after criminals that
ran the rackets or a group of squash players (what you yanks would call
racket-ball)!!

Daniel

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Apr 1, 2008, 7:50:43 PM4/1/08
Daniel wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Racket Squad
> What was Racket Squad all about??? A group of people that made heaps of
> noise (Racket), a squad of police types that went after criminals that
> ran the rackets or a group of squash players (what you yanks would call
> racket-ball)!!
>
> Daniel

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042139/

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 11:22:06 PM4/1/08

General principles.

Blinky the Shark

Apr 1, 2008, 11:22:36 PM4/1/08

Yes!

Jay Garcia

Apr 1, 2008, 11:30:51 PM4/1/08
On 01.04.2008 13:26, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>> On 01.04.2008 10:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Blinky the
>> Shark to generate the following:? :

>>> It's high time someone injected some culture into this sad state of
>>> nostalgic affairs. :)
>>>
>>> Studio One
>>> Playhouse 90
>>>

>> huh! you want culture, buy a hunk of cheese or a tub of yogurt -
>> they're cultured!
>>
>> reg
> especially *Blue Chess*

Never had *Blue Chess* .. had Blue *Cheese* tho .. yum

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Gus Richter

Apr 1, 2008, 11:54:34 PM4/1/08

In chess there's only black and white.

--
Gus

Blinky the Shark

Apr 2, 2008, 1:21:38 AM4/2/08

Or silver and gold. Or red and white. Or green (jade) and white. Etc.

It is loading more messages.