when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Newatthis

Feb 16, 2012, 6:59:10 PM2/16/12
Hello,

I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
the google search box?

I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
instead of the address bar.

Thank you!

Cy Burnot

Feb 16, 2012, 7:23:34 PM2/16/12
Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 6:59 PM:
Why?

Newatthis

Feb 16, 2012, 7:26:49 PM2/16/12
Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
http://www.google.comrestaurants.

Jay Garcia

Feb 16, 2012, 7:33:14 PM2/16/12
On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:
Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Newatthis

Feb 16, 2012, 7:31:09 PM2/16/12
This seems to happen predominantly with Firefox.

WLS

Feb 16, 2012, 7:42:03 PM2/16/12
Why are you entering search words in the address bar, if you are at
www.google.com, and not the search field?

Simple solution. In the address bar type about:home, after the page
loads enter the search term in the Google field, press Search.

--
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 11.4 Linux
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

clay

Feb 16, 2012, 7:54:19 PM2/16/12
On 02/16/2012 4:33 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

And the OP stated the cursor is in the google search box... not the
location bar, yet the text appends to the location bar.

Has to be one of those obscure features, like 'find as you type' got
turned on by mistake.

WLS

Feb 16, 2012, 8:01:40 PM2/16/12
I saw my search terms appended to the URL with a separator, like this.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=3&gs_id=l&xhr=t&q=restoration+hardware&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=res&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=328452f340800b65&biw=1440&bih=735

while displaying search results on the page, before I even pressed search.

<shrug>

Cy Burnot

Feb 16, 2012, 8:45:30 PM2/16/12
Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 7:26 PM:
Got it. Weird!

spence...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2012, 11:53:42 AM2/24/12
WLS,

I don't intentionally want to enter my search term in the address bar. My web browser is doing this for me (even though it looks as if my cursor is in the search field). It used to be when I visited Google and began typing, it would automatically appear in the Google search field. But with the recent upgrades of Firefox, I am finding that the focus seems to default to the address bar.

How do I fix this??

Thanks

WLS

Feb 24, 2012, 12:14:59 PM2/24/12
I have no idea. I don't use Google, unless I'm testing it to see a
problem, and I don't have the problem you have.

--
Thunderbird Daily | openSUSE 11.4 Linux
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

Daniel

Feb 25, 2012, 4:01:05 AM2/25/12
I just went to one of my open browser windows, selected Tools->Search
the Web, get the Google home page, typed "type" in the search box and
got ten possibilities.

WFM!

--
Daniel

carri...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2013, 8:28:27 PM10/22/13
I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??

I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.

Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.

Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
Thanks

Burry

Oct 22, 2013, 9:41:53 PM10/22/13
Wait a year or two, then FF is the same as Chrome,
and we can better advise you.

WaltS

Oct 22, 2013, 9:48:19 PM10/22/13
On 10/22/2013 08:28 PM, carri...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??
>
> I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.
>
> Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.
>
> Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
> Thanks

I think you are confused, or a spammer.

Chrome browser support is in that direction ----------------->

[Chrome Help](https://support.google.com/chrome/#topic=3227046)

[Google Chrome Forum - Google
Groups](https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chrome)

goodwin

Oct 22, 2013, 11:24:29 PM10/22/13
On 10/22/2013 06:48 PM, WaltS wrote:

> I think you are confused, or a spammer.

Think you mean troll here...

lcl...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2014, 8:04:50 AM4/21/14
Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans. I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post inane comments in response to a users questions.

My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

WaltS48

Apr 21, 2014, 8:11:38 AM4/21/14
On 04/21/2014 08:04 AM, lcl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans. I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post inane comments in response to a users questions.
>
> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

Guilty!.

Some of us can be just as big a bunch of assholes as Google Group trolls
like you.

Do you have a solution for the users problem? Post it.

»Q«

Apr 21, 2014, 11:54:48 AM4/21/14
In <news:13c2dbc6-4dde-4bd3...@googlegroups.com>,
lcl...@gmail.com wrote:

> Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans.

You picked a thread that's over a year old to troll us?

> I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post
> inane comments in response to a users questions.

This group isn't really for user questions. User questions belong in
the mozilla.support.* hierarchy, where there's much less inanity.

> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

Nah, you're just a trolling googlegrouper.

Daniel

Apr 22, 2014, 5:17:39 AM4/22/14
On 22/04/14 01:54, »Q« wrote:
> In <news:13c2dbc6-4dde-4bd3...@googlegroups.com>,
> lcl...@gmail.com wrote:

<Snip>

>> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.
>
> Nah, you're just a trolling googlegrouper.

One wonders why anyone would troll in a support group, let alone a
general topic group (where, I suppose, trolling is as close to "on
topic" as anything else!!).

By posing a question in a support group, the OP is virtually stating
that they want to stick with whatever they had been using, as long as
they can fix the current situation and that they don't want to change
(which would be soooo easy to do!!)!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/28.0 SeaMonkey/2.25 Build identifier: 20140211200211

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140408191805

reamd...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2014, 5:09:51 PM6/30/14
I've been having the same problem and it is really annoying. I'll get one or two letters into typing a google search and then it will pop up and start typing in the address bar. Too bad there doesn't appear to be a fix yet

WaltS48

Jun 30, 2014, 6:22:42 PM6/30/14
On 06/30/2014 05:09 PM, reamd...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been having the same problem and it is really annoying. I'll get one or two letters into typing a google search and then it will pop up and start typing in the address bar. Too bad there doesn't appear to be a fix yet

Same problem with what version of Firefox on what operating system?

What version was the original poster that you are replying to using?
Operating system?

I'm not going to look for the whole thread because you are too lazy to
quote previous posts.

Does the same problem occur in Firefox safe mode?

[Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox
Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode)

EQT Three Rivers Regatta - July 2-4, 2014
<http://www.threeriversregatta.net/>
GO Bucs! GO USA!

shanes...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 10:07:31 PM7/15/14
I am still having the same problem and it started the same time as a search conduit unwanted browser helper found it's way on to my system. I got rid of most of the remnants of the infection through some tools online, but I have yet to solve the same problem in Chrome. When I go to www.google.com, and then select the text input box, the very first letter I type, the focus shifts to the address bar and the text begins to appear there.

shanes...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 10:16:47 PM7/15/14
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:59:10 PM UTC-6, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
>
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>
> the google search box?
>

> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>
> and start typing a searcnd , I would like it to appear in the search box
>
> instead of the address bar.
>

> Thank you!
Look in your default search engine settings. Right click the address bar and choose edit search engines. Pay close attention to the url of your default search engine. It is directing you to a page that is forcing this tool to take over the search so everything goes through them. Delete it. It seemed to be tricky for me to delete it, but I was persistent and it did the trick.

Erness

Jul 15, 2014, 10:46:08 PM7/15/14
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 06/30/2014 05:09 PM, reamd...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I've been having the same problem and it is really annoying. I'll get
>> one or two letters into typing a google search and then it will pop up
>> and start typing in the address bar. Too bad there doesn't appear to
>> be a fix yet
>>

> Same problem with what version of Firefox on what operating system?
>
> What version was the original poster that you are replying to using?
> Operating system?
>
> I'm not going to look for the whole thread because you are too lazy to
> quote previous posts.
>
> Does the same problem occur in Firefox safe mode?
>
> [Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox
> Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode)

I thought the fix would be Bing. ;-)

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

mobicube%c...@gtempaccount.com

Aug 9, 2014, 10:14:13 PM8/9/14
Ok, after some serious time spent on this I can finaly type into the search box that resides in the middle of the page without it jumping up to the address bar or opening another google page.

Not sure what step did it, but this fixed my issue.

1: Logged into to Google, Clicked the Gear (Options Icon) in the top right.
Clicked on 'Search Settings' and under Google Instant predictions I selected Never show Instant results.

2: In my Chrome browser Clicked the Icon in top right and went to Settings, clicked on Show Advanced Settings, under Privacy I unchecked Use a prediction service... and unchecked Predict network actions.

My search engine is still Google.

I use the New Tab Redirect extension and have my URL set to https://www.google.com/webhp

Hope this can help someone

avni...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2014, 6:27:05 PM10/4/14
Thank you so much!!!
This behavior was driving me batty and I couldn't figure out why it was only happening in Chrome.
I changed the Chrome settings you described and it stopped <whew>

eddie...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2015, 7:49:45 PM3/16/15

> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.
**********************
Incorrect. Typing always jumps to address bar. Why do they even bother having a search box.

eddie...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2015, 7:53:07 PM3/16/15
On Monday, April 21, 2014 at 5:04:50 AM UTC-7, lcl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans. I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post inane comments in response to a users questions.
>
> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

My thoughts, exactly.

WaltS48

Mar 16, 2015, 8:09:56 PM3/16/15
For the same reason that gmail trolls like you search out old threads to
respond to. They can.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 38.0a2(Earlybird)
[Coexist - Understanding Across Divides](https://www.coexist.org/)

morte...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 4:56:05 PM4/18/15
Turn off instant suggestions in the settings, this should keep google anchored

margare...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2015, 1:35:15 AM4/27/15
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

If Google is your homepage on Google Chrome browser, you'll notice in the search bar on Google, it says, "Search Google or type url"
You can type in what you want to search on Google into the search bar, and it goes directly to the url address bar, but it works the same as a Google search. After you type what you're looking for, and press enter, you'll see that it is a regular Google search, it's just supposed to be some kind of shortcut or something. Hope this helps your problem and puts an end to all the pointless and mindless arguing on this thread.
Message has been deleted

geoff...@hotmail.com

May 20, 2015, 6:37:21 AM5/20/15
On Thursday, 16 February 2012 23:59:10 UTC, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I had a similar, but worse, problem. I found that typing in the address bar started not only when I was trying to type into search engines in any browser, but also when I tried naming or renaming files, or doing any typing, in fact.

The problem appeared quite suddenly and was intermittent, but disappeared when I changed my keyboard.

One way to check if it`s your keyboard is to try using the On Screen Keyboard:-
Start/Control Panel/Ease of Access Center/Start On-Screen Keyboard

rene...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2015, 7:02:59 PM6/26/15
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

me too

tazma...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 9:23:00 AM7/6/15
On Friday, 17 February 2012 00:33:14 UTC, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

The Op already stated

"whatever I'm typing appears
next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
the google search box"

so he was typing in the search bar. Thats the sort of smarmy answer that discourages some peeps from even asking a question. next time maybe read the ops query first!

WaltS48

Jul 6, 2015, 9:44:42 AM7/6/15
On 07/06/2015 09:22 AM, tazma...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, 17 February 2012 00:33:14 UTC, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

So you are responding to a topic posted in 2012. Maybe next time read
the date.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 42.0a1(Daily) Go Bucs!
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides](https://www.coexist.org/)

Wolf K.

Jul 6, 2015, 10:15:54 AM7/6/15
On 2015-07-06 9:22 AM, tazma...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]
> The Op already stated
>
> "whatever I'm typing appears
> next to"http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box"
>
> so he was typing in the search bar. Thats the sort of smarmy answer that discourages some peeps from even asking a question. next time maybe read the ops query first!

I'm assuming that Taz Wants To Know.

Moving a cursor to a new location is not enough. Move the cursor, then
left-click.

Unasked for advice: Be nice, Taz, or you will be deep-sixed.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

ajhug...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2015, 10:44:59 AM7/22/15
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-5, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

Not as simple as that. I have the same issue. I put the cursor in the search bar. When I type, it moves it to the address bar. Same problem as the previous posting.

WaltS48

Jul 22, 2015, 11:07:29 AM7/22/15
On 07/22/2015 10:44 AM, ajhug...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-5, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

Didn't see this problem in Firefox 3.6.27, when that was the version out
when the original post was made, and don't see it in Firefox 39.0.

Restart Firefox in Safe Mode and try again.

[Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox
Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode)

If that doesn't fix it, Refresh Firefox.

[Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings | Firefox
Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings)

If that doesn't fix it, start a new support post in the Firefox support
newsgroup mozilla.support.firefox

Mike Easter

Jul 22, 2015, 8:15:02 PM7/22/15
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 07/22/2015 10:44 AM, ajhug...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-5, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

Back in 2012 Feb, there was a conversation with a bad subject (putting
the long question in the subject instead of a brief/terse title subject).

That discussion ended about 5.5 years ago. Then a GGer came along and
discovered the stale/dead thread. Instead of appropriately starting a
new timely thread in the appropriate group, s/he rekindled the ancient
thread.

Hey, GGer. Use your Tb mail/news agent as a news agent and point it at
the moz server.

http://ilias.ca/moznewsgroups-tb Subscribing to newsgroups on
news.mozilla.org with Mozilla Thunderbird

--
Mike Easter

Daniel

Jul 23, 2015, 5:43:30 AM7/23/15
On 23/07/2015 10:15 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> Back in 2012 Feb, there was a conversation with a bad subject (putting
> the long question in the subject instead of a brief/terse title subject).
>
> That discussion ended about 5.5 years ago. Then a GGer came along and
> discovered the stale/dead thread. Instead of appropriately starting a
> new timely thread in the appropriate group, s/he rekindled the ancient
> thread.

Hey, Mike, it is 23/07/2015 which could probably be written as 2015.6.
So 5.5 years before today would be approx 2010.1, or Jan 2010, which is
before 2012 Feb.

Did you mean 3.5 years ago or did you mean 2010 Feb?? ;-)

And yes, GG'ers are a pain ... so easy to set SM (or TB, I expect) to do
news groups!!)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20141218225909
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150215202114

Mike Easter

Jul 23, 2015, 6:55:28 AM7/23/15
Daniel wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> Back in 2012 Feb, there was a conversation

>> That discussion ended about 5.5 years ago.

> Did you mean 3.5 years ago

Yes. I misspoke.

--
Mike Easter

Daniel

Jul 24, 2015, 5:25:57 AM7/24/15
Happens to the best of us, Mike ;-P

youdidntge...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2015, 9:39:12 PM9/4/15
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 11:28:27 AM UTC+11, carri...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??
>
> I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.
>
> Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.
>
> Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
> Thanks
>

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> >
> > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> >
> > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> >
> > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> >
> > the google search box?
> >

> > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> >
> > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> >
> > instead of the address bar.
> >

> > Thank you!

This is happening to me for the first time now in Chrome AND FF Win7

darrelld...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2015, 3:50:22 PM9/7/15
hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into google,
I do not understand. to change instant results.

Daniel

Sep 8, 2015, 5:54:57 AM9/8/15
On 8/09/2015 5:50 AM, darrelld...@gmail.com wrote:
> hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into google,
> I do not understand. to change instant results.

Darrell, I'm having troubles working out your problem!!

I think you are saying you are having trouble signing into Google (Why
would anyone want to??) but you are asking this in a (very old) thread
about doing a search on Google in SeaMonkey!

Could you please start a new thread (If you were using SeaMonkey I'd
suggest you click "Compose" rather than "Reply", but as you're using
Google groups (which you suggest you cannot sign into!!) so I'm not sure
what you should do!) and have another go at stating your problem??

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150223174142

Ed Mullen

Sep 8, 2015, 9:19:22 PM9/8/15
Daniel wrote on 9/8/2015 5:55 AM:
> On 8/09/2015 5:50 AM, darrelld...@gmail.com wrote:
>> hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into
>> google,
>> I do not understand. to change instant results.
>>
> Darrell, I'm having troubles working out your problem!!
>
> I think you are saying you are having trouble signing into Google (Why
> would anyone want to??)

Because Google offers great functionality on, for instance, calendar
synchronisation.

I use Calendarscope and Handysync for Google. All my devices have the
same calendar entries all the time via this sync. Two smart phones, two
Android tablets, an iPad, and 4 computers.

I, for one, do not view Google as evil.

But, for reference:

<https://www.google.com/search?q=lyric%20paranoia%20strikes%20deep&gws_rd=ssl>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Daniel

Sep 9, 2015, 5:44:43 AM9/9/15
On 9/09/2015 11:19 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Daniel wrote on 9/8/2015 5:55 AM:
>> On 8/09/2015 5:50 AM, darrelld...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into
>>> google,
>>> I do not understand. to change instant results.
>>>
>> Darrell, I'm having troubles working out your problem!!
>>
>> I think you are saying you are having trouble signing into Google (Why
>> would anyone want to??)
>
> Because Google offers great functionality on, for instance, calendar
> synchronisation.
>
> I use Calendarscope and Handysync for Google. All my devices have the
> same calendar entries all the time via this sync. Two smart phones, two
> Android tablets, an iPad, and 4 computers.
>
> I, for one, do not view Google as evil.
>
> But, for reference:
>
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=lyric%20paranoia%20strikes%20deep&gws_rd=ssl>

However, Ed, I notice you come here to the news groups directly, *NOT*
via Google!!

And, even though I don't use Google for searching the web, I don't
necessarily see Google as evil, either!!

rac...@synergisticgroup.com.au

Sep 15, 2015, 10:29:01 PM9/15/15
Thank you for your response. I was having the same problem and this fixed it. Much appreciated!

bllbrr...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2015, 11:16:37 AM10/19/15
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 11:59:10 PM UTC, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

Thanks for that. It's been driving me crazy too. Finally got it sorted.

bllbrr...@gmail.com

Oct 19, 2015, 11:20:25 AM10/19/15
On Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 3:14:13 AM UTC+1, mobicube%c...@gtempaccount.com wrote:
> Ok, after some serious time spent on this I can finaly type into the search box that resides in the middle of the page without it jumping up to the address bar or opening another google page.
>
> Not sure what step did it, but this fixed my issue.
>
> 1: Logged into to Google, Clicked the Gear (Options Icon) in the top right.
> Clicked on 'Search Settings' and under Google Instant predictions I selected Never show Instant results.
>
> 2: In my Chrome browser Clicked the Icon in top right and went to Settings, clicked on Show Advanced Settings, under Privacy I unchecked Use a prediction service... and unchecked Predict network actions.
>
> My search engine is still Google.
>
> I use the New Tab Redirect extension and have my URL set to https://www.google.com/webhp
>
> Hope this can help someone

Thanks for that. It's been driving me crazy too. You finally got it sorted.

jms9741...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2015, 6:40:15 PM10/28/15
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.

Good Guy

Oct 28, 2015, 6:52:27 PM10/28/15
On 28/10/15 22:40, jms9741...@gmail.com wrote:

I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.

What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to achieve it?.

What do you get if you go to:

<https://www.google.com>

How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link?  It is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.

Thank you.

WaltS48

Oct 28, 2015, 7:11:05 PM10/28/15
What version of Firefox do they use that they are having the same
problem as a user in 2012?

Well maybe not the same problem, because this poster says the search box
moves to the top of the page, not the typing appears in the address bar.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 44.0a1 (Daily)
You don't need zero-days when machines wherever are packed with old-days.
[Visit Pittsburgh]<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides]<https://www.coexist.org/>

WaltS48

Oct 28, 2015, 7:23:06 PM10/28/15
On 10/28/2015 06:52 PM, Good Guy wrote:
Start typing in the Search Box on that page and it does jump to the top
of the page with suggestions under it.

Nothing to fix.

»Q«

Oct 28, 2015, 7:29:39 PM10/28/15
In <news:dMqdnUw60eU3zKzL...@mozilla.org>,
The page is dynamic, so the box can move. Here's a shot before
anything is typed: <http://remarqs.org/misc/google-before.png>. And
one immediately after typing the letter "m":
<http://remarqs.org/misc/google-after.png>.

I don't use Google and I don't know why that bothers anyone; it's
certainly not rendering anything non-functional. ISTM if it bothered
many people, Google wouldn't be doing it. It's not nearly as
bothersome as this three+ year old thread being resurrected every time
a Google Grouper runs across it.

Ed Mullen

Oct 28, 2015, 10:42:49 PM10/28/15
I've mentioned it before but I'll do it again. Your posting in HTML is
contrary to 99.9% of posts on this group.

For many of us it is unreadable because you obviously do not understand
anything about HTML composition.

It annoys me. It is, because of my normal settings, rendering your
posts unreadable.

So. What I do is totally ignore you. Immediately skip over your posts.

that's too bad because you might actually have something to contribute.
But I'll never know because you flount, deliberately, custom here.

Do you deliberately want to be ignored? Are you trying to be obnoxious?

Hey, just asking!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Oct 28, 2015, 11:31:17 PM10/28/15
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Obnoxious Guy wrote:
>> How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
>> is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves. Can you explain.

JavaScript.

> Do you deliberately want to be ignored? Are you trying to be obnoxious?

He (a young fella in his 30s) has publicly stated that he loves to annoy
old people, as most of us are here and in Usenet. I completely ignore all
of his posts. That's generally a good idea, too, as most of what I see
when someone quotes him, isn't worthy anyway.

--
-bts

jever...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2015, 6:59:26 PM11/9/15
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 6:44:42 AM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 07/06/2015 09:22 AM, tazma...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, 17 February 2012 00:33:14 UTC, Jay Garcia wrote:
> >> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

it does not matter when the OP was, people still want an answer,In NOV 2015!!
Please address the question and keep your jabs to yourself.
Thanks

jever...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2015, 7:07:03 PM11/9/15
Things should not jump around, you may not care but many do, It is distracting. So please help post a reasonable solution that you do not have to be a programmer to understand.
Thanks for your help

Daniel

Nov 10, 2015, 4:08:59 AM11/10/15
I don't know for sure if this will sort out your problem but enter
about:config in your URL bar, search for "search" (without the inverted
commas) and then double click on
browser.urlbar.showSearch. This should change it from the "default"
setting of "true" to a "user set" setting of "false"

This might give the functioning you require!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

Daniel

Nov 10, 2015, 4:21:03 AM11/10/15
Normally I use DuckDuckGo for my searching after I enter the search item
in the URLbar, because that's how I like it!

When I click on the Google link, above, I get the Google page with the
search bar about one third of the screen down, and when I start to type
"StarWars" in the Google search bar, as I go, I'm offered various
possibilities in a drop-down list below the Search Bar.

Just as I would expect, using my Win7 SeaMonkey install.

WaltS48

Nov 10, 2015, 8:47:26 AM11/10/15
So why didn't you respond in July?

There is no problem, and this isn't the support forum for Firefox.

You can find that here <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox>

Now fox off.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 45.0a1 (Daily)

»Q«

Nov 11, 2015, 4:50:20 PM11/11/15
In <news:2260abdd-cc7f-40ea...@googlegroups.com>,
jever...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 6:44:42 AM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:

Yeah, it does matter.

> people still want an answer,In NOV 2015!!

Who does? AFAICT, someone asked a *different* question than the OP
this month in this thread, but no one has asked for an answer to the OP
since the OP itself. Firefox's search box and the search box on the
Google web page are two different things.

> Please address the question and keep your jabs to yourself.

If there really is a question that needs answering, starting a new
thread explaining whichever issue you're having in
mozilla.support.firefox or at support.mozilla.org would be the way to
go. Adding to years old threads in this group will get you
well-deserved jabs and maybe (or maybe not) help.

»Q«

Nov 11, 2015, 4:54:46 PM11/11/15
In <news:012dfda6-e949-467d...@googlegroups.com>,
jever...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 4:23:06 PM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:
> > On 10/28/2015 06:52 PM, Good Guy wrote:

> > > What do you get if you go to:
> > >
> > > <https://www.google.com>

> > Start typing in the Search Box on that page and it does jump to the
> > top of the page with suggestions under it.
> >
> > Nothing to fix.

> Things should not jump around, you may not care but many do, It is
> distracting. So please help post a reasonable solution that you do
> not have to be a programmer to understand. Thanks for your help

The only "solution" is to stop using that web page for searching.
Alternatives are to use Firefox's search box or the search box in
Firefox's default home page or default new tab page, none of which
move.

james.p...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2015, 6:03:13 PM12/27/15
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-5, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

You click in the search box and it appears in the address bar, I am trying to research myself to see why its happening, and it is not as simple as placing the cursor where you want to type.

Daniel

Dec 28, 2015, 3:16:42 AM12/28/15
On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

<Snip>

>> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
>> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
>> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
>> http://www.google.comrestaurants.
>
> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.

Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!

Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
Orleans?? With the Dogs??

--
Daniel

Happy Holiday Season to one and all.

Daniel

Dec 28, 2015, 3:40:40 AM12/28/15
On 28/12/2015 7:17 PM, Daniel wrote:
> On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>>> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
>>> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
>>> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
>>> http://www.google.comrestaurants.
>>
>> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.
>
> Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
> by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
> secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!
>
> Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
> Orleans?? With the Dogs??

I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!

WaltS48

Dec 28, 2015, 7:19:42 AM12/28/15
On 12/28/2015 03:40 AM, Daniel wrote:
> On 28/12/2015 7:17 PM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>

>>> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.
>>
>> Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
>> by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
>> secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!
>>
>> Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
>> Orleans?? With the Dogs??
>>
> I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!

You just noticed his 3+ year old post? :)

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 45.0a2 (Earlybird)

Daniel

Dec 29, 2015, 7:30:03 AM12/29/15
On 28/12/2015 11:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 12/28/2015 03:40 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 28/12/2015 7:17 PM, Daniel wrote:
>>> On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
>>> by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
>>> secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!
>>>
>>> Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
>>> Orleans?? With the Dogs??
>>>
>> I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!
>>

> You just noticed his 3+ year old post? :)

GRRRR!! That'll learn me!!

JAS

Dec 29, 2015, 1:31:01 PM12/29/15
Daniel wrote:
> On 28/12/2015 11:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!
>>>

>> You just noticed his 3+ year old post? :)
>>
> GRRRR!! That'll learn me!!

I wish Jay was back as I always enjoyed his input. Maybe showing his
dogs more.
JAS

--
You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or
you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment

dlcl...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2016, 5:01:22 PM4/13/16
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

dlcl...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2016, 5:01:28 PM4/13/16

dlcl...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2016, 5:03:50 PM4/13/16
I am having this exact problem and it drives me crazy. Cursor is at the entry position for Google search in middle of page but jumps to address bar as soon as I enter first letter from keyboard. I have used Google for many years and never seen this before windows 10. is this coincidence or is it related to windows 10?

Good Guy

Apr 13, 2016, 5:07:44 PM4/13/16
On 13/04/2016 22:03, dlcl...@gmail.com wrote:

I am having this exact problem and it drives me crazy.  Cursor is at the entry position for Google search in middle of page but jumps to address bar as soon as I enter first letter from keyboard.  I have used Google for many years and never seen this before windows 10.  is this coincidence or is it related to windows 10?

Double click in the search box and then start typing.  this should work.

I don't have this problem at my end.

F1...@pobox.com

Apr 13, 2016, 7:58:03 PM4/13/16
On 4/13/2016 2:01 PM On a whim, dlcl...@gmail.com pounded out on the
keyboard
What browser are you using when this occurs? Have you tried a different
browser with Google set as the home page?

I have not seen this occur on any Windows 10 machines.

ma...@nysais.org

Apr 14, 2016, 8:42:21 AM4/14/16
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I GOT IT!! If you are using Chrome, right click the URL Bar, and go to "Edit Search Engines". YOu should be directed immediately to a pop-out (x out of that) and the page where you can edit ALL of your settings.
Click "Advanced" down at the bottom.
Under "Privacy" UNCHECK the box that begins "Use a Prediction Service..."

I think this is a default - GAH how annoying! Thanks for all of the input here, though. It all led me to the right answer!

--
*The New York State Association of Independent Schools promotes the
independence, well-being and public understanding of, and respect for, New

*The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the
intended recipient and may not be disclosed to, used by, or copied in any
way by anyone other than the intended recipient. It should not be relied
upon as, or in place of, legal advice. The sender and recipient do not
have an attorney/client relationship. All schools and others are
encouraged to work with the school's legal counsel when addressing specific
issues. *

*If this email was received in error, please contact the New York State
Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) at 1-518-694-5500 quoting the
name of the sender and the email address to which it was sent and then
delete it. Please further note that neither NYSAIS or NYSAIS Operations,
Inc. nor the sender accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachments.*

*P *Please consider the environment before printing my e-mail

ma...@nysais.org

Apr 14, 2016, 8:44:21 AM4/14/16
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I got it!
Settings->Advanced->Privacy-> UNCHECK "Use prediction service...etc"

Maria

Apr 14, 2016, 8:45:27 AM4/14/16

Wolf K.

Apr 14, 2016, 10:45:10 AM4/14/16
> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
>> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>> the google search box?
>>
>> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>> instead of the address bar.
>>
>> Thank you!

a) because you have left Google as your home page.
b) because you have left the default search engine to Google; and

Tools - Options - General - "When Firefox starts..."
Tools - Options - Search - "Default Search Engine" (you can add any that
aren't listed)

I have a blank home page, and use DuckDuckGo.

Have a good day,

--
Best,
Wolf K.

renay...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2016, 11:27:10 PM4/25/16
On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 7:28:27 PM UTC-5, carri...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??
>
> I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.
>
> Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.
>
> Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
> Thanks
>

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> >
> > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> >
> > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> >
> > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> >
> > the google search box?
> >

> > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> >
> > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> >
> > instead of the address bar.
> >

> > Thank you!

Did you ever find a solution? because i am dealing with your old problem right now...

lhi...@hotmail.com

May 13, 2016, 12:14:36 PM5/13/16
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 5:59:10 PM UTC-6, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

This happened to me. I have IE and to work around I click the 12 black squares (google apps) not Apps in the upper left corner - click G with search under it and I am typing in Gooogle Search.

Found this on search I don't know if it works:
Gary Gurnicz said:
Hi Mihal ,

This is normal behavior for the New Tab Page... there is a workaround.

Load the "New Tab Redirect" extension from the Chrome Web Store.
Go to "Options" (in Extensions page under that extension) and select www.google.com as your page.
Note: This page will not have the "Most Visited Sites Thumbnails" on it.

Then go to www.google.com and select "Settings" (at the bottom right)
Select "Search Settings".
Under "Google Instant Predictions".. select "Never show instant results"

Now you should be able to use the Search box..

Let me know if this helps.

Gary

purchase....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 9:59:23 AM7/15/16
the question was not understood

purchase....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 10:00:41 AM7/15/16
The question was not understood.

purchase....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2016, 10:01:11 AM7/15/16

»Q«

Jul 15, 2016, 11:26:46 AM7/15/16
In <news:131443e2-100f-4450...@googlegroups.com>,
a Google Grouper wrote:

> the question was not understood

This thread has been going on for four and half years so far, with lots
of people finding it on Google Groups and adding noise to it, including
multiple questions which are not the same as the original question.

Anyone actually currently experiencing a problem should give up on this
thread and make a new post fully describing the current problem in
mozilla.support.firefox. Alternatively, post at
<https://support.mozilla.org/>.

EE

Jul 15, 2016, 3:47:26 PM7/15/16
purchase....@gmail.com wrote:
> the question was not understood

If you typed the search phrase into the address bar, where else would
you expect to see it?

Ed Mullen

Jul 15, 2016, 7:34:39 PM7/15/16
On 7/15/2016 at 11:26 AM, »Q«'s prodigious digits fired off:
BRAVO!!! ;-)

"... and deliver us from evil ..."

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

WaltS48

Jul 15, 2016, 8:55:38 PM7/15/16
Nooooo! I've got this one tagged Important, so I followup in 5 years. O:-)

Picklesburgh <http://www.picklesburgh.com/>
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix <http://www.pvgp.org/>
National Jazz Workshop <http://njwpgh.org/>

rkc...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2016, 1:01:54 PM7/30/16
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 4:33:14 PM UTC-8, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

That does not work.

»Q«

Jul 30, 2016, 4:43:46 PM7/30/16
In <news:39CdnY106qOU7hTK...@mozilla.org>,
Ed Mullen <ejEM...@edmullen.net> wrote:

> On 7/15/2016 at 11:26 AM, »Q«'s prodigious digits fired off:
> > In <news:131443e2-100f-4450...@googlegroups.com>,
> > a Google Grouper wrote:
> >
> >> the question was not understood
> >
> > This thread has been going on for four and half years so far, with
> > lots of people finding it on Google Groups and adding noise to it,
> > including multiple questions which are not the same as the original
> > question.
> >
> > Anyone actually currently experiencing a problem should give up on
> > this thread and make a new post fully describing the current
> > problem in mozilla.support.firefox. Alternatively, post at
> > <https://support.mozilla.org/>.
>
> BRAVO!!! ;-)

Unfortunately, it does no good. I guess it's too far down on the web
page for Google Groupers to see it before their itchy reply fingers
take control.

should add a feature that estimates the amount of time wasted.

az3...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2016, 12:45:48 PM8/24/16
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy. Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

Wolf K.

Aug 24, 2016, 3:02:55 PM8/24/16
I use DuckDuckGo, no such problem. Also occasionally use Wikipedia. Have
a blank home page, no Google, no nothin'.

Sometimes avoiding a problem is the best solution.

anarchyb...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 9:51:31 PM9/2/16
Wow thanks very useful awesome

On Friday, February 24, 2012 at 12:14:59 PM UTC-5, WLS wrote:
> On 02/24/2012 11:53 AM, spence...@gmail.com wrote:
> > WLS,
> >
> > I don't intentionally want to enter my search term in the address bar. My web browser is doing this for me (even though it looks as if my cursor is in the search field). It used to be when I visited Google and began typing, it would automatically appear in the Google search field. But with the recent upgrades of Firefox, I am finding that the focus seems to default to the address bar.
> >
> > How do I fix this??
> >
> > Thanks
>

> I have no idea. I don't use Google, unless I'm testing it to see a
> problem, and I don't have the problem you have.
>
> --
> Thunderbird Daily | openSUSE 11.4 Linux
> Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

That was really useful thanks

shackel...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2016, 5:21:42 PM9/17/16
On Monday, April 21, 2014 at 8:04:50 AM UTC-4, lcl...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans. I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post inane comments in response to a users questions.
>
> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

I agree

»Q«

Sep 17, 2016, 8:38:46 PM9/17/16
In <news:c8f646ca-bdec-4e30...@googlegroups.com>,
another Google Grouper piled even more uselessness into this ancient
thread:
On the whole, they can't be as bad as Google Groupers, can they? For
example, you don't have any solutions and you just shamelessly posted an
inane comment to this thread.

bakerso...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2016, 8:34:08 PM10/7/16
I had the same problem and it was driving my crazy too. I just fixed it. I had my home page set to a different page (not Google) and when I needed to do a search I would click on one of my bookmark icons which was Google, but the URL was not WWW.Google.com, but Google/newtab or something like that, I forgot already. Well, I changed the URL on the icon and that fixed the problem. I hope this helps!

qas...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2016, 10:50:37 AM12/12/16
Just go to settings
SHow advance settings
click on change proxy settings
This will open internet properties
click on lan settings
Under Automatic configuration,make the address field empty
click ok you are done

WaltS48

Dec 12, 2016, 12:45:19 PM12/12/16

 How does he know, if he doesn't go? 👿