replacing tower with puente

William Kahn-Greene

Nov 17, 2015, 3:02:23 PM11/17/15
to dev-webdev
Hi!

A while back I wrote up a blog post on my (mis)adventures getting
Input (aka Fjord) from Django 1.7 with Jingo and Tower to Django 1.8
with django-jinja. That blog post seemed helpful, but there was a
bunch of tedious bullshit in it. After some thought and discussion
with Rob Hudson who was working on the l10n side of things for MDN, we
decided to create a new library to replace Tower and turn the tedious
bullshit into rich compost for your Django garden.

HOLY CRAP! NOT ANOTHER LIBRARY!?

Yes. It's another library. This one has some specific mission objectives:

1. make it easy to transition a project off of Tower
2. correctly support Jinja2 templates
3. move a project closer to vanilla Django, Jinja2 and gettext

The docs cover this in more detail:

http://puente.readthedocs.org/en/latest/goals.html

Seemed like this was the easiest thing to do in the short term that
helps us all move to a better place for the long term.

The era of Django 1.7 is almost over. Winter is coming. If one of the
things that's blocking you is Tower, then I recommend switching from
Tower to Puente. I wrote a migration guide which Rob tested with MDN
recently:

http://puente.readthedocs.org/en/latest/migratingfromtower.html

If you have any problems, we hang out in #puente on irc.mozilla.org.

Hope it helps!

/will