Contributing to mozilla as a newbie

Rajat Garg

Jul 28, 2015, 11:30:35 AM7/28/15
to dev-w...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey all,
I am a CS student and recently heard about the open source and its power.
So, it seems so interesting to me and now I want to contribute to it. While
reading the mozilla webdev group , I come to know that I can contribute for
mozilla as a newbie in web development. But the problem is that I don't
understand any project or don't getting which project I should choose,so
plz can anyone help me to select a project to start with(remember I am a
newbie).
Eagerly waiting for your reply.

--

*RegardsRajat GargMCAIIPS-DAVVIndore (M.P.) , India *

Gervase Markham

Jul 31, 2015, 5:42:46 AM7/31/15
to Rajat Garg
Hi Rajat,

I'm rather surprised no-one has replied to you yet...

On 28/07/15 12:16, Rajat Garg wrote:
> I am a CS student and recently heard about the open source and its power.
> So, it seems so interesting to me and now I want to contribute to it. While
> reading the mozilla webdev group , I come to know that I can contribute for
> mozilla as a newbie in web development. But the problem is that I don't
> understand any project or don't getting which project I should choose,so
> plz can anyone help me to select a project to start with(remember I am a
> newbie).

I would recommend http://whatcanidoformozilla.org/ , but I can't find a
webdev pathway through that. Can some webdev person point us to the "new
volunteer" process for webdev?

Gerv

Luke Crouch

Jul 31, 2015, 10:32:36 AM7/31/15
to Gervase Markham, mozilla-d...@lists.mozilla.org, Rajat Garg
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Webdev/GetInvolved is another good starting point
for web development.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 4:42 AM, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> Hi Rajat,
>
> I'm rather surprised no-one has replied to you yet...
>
> On 28/07/15 12:16, Rajat Garg wrote:
> > I am a CS student and recently heard about the open source and its power.
> > So, it seems so interesting to me and now I want to contribute to it.
> While
> > reading the mozilla webdev group , I come to know that I can contribute
> for
> > mozilla as a newbie in web development. But the problem is that I don't
> > understand any project or don't getting which project I should choose,so
> > plz can anyone help me to select a project to start with(remember I am a
> > newbie).
>
> I would recommend http://whatcanidoformozilla.org/ , but I can't find a
> webdev pathway through that. Can some webdev person point us to the "new
> volunteer" process for webdev?
>
> Gerv

Justin Crawford

Jul 31, 2015, 10:35:57 AM7/31/15
to Luke Crouch, mozilla-d...@lists.mozilla.org, Gervase Markham, Rajat Garg
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Luke Crouch <lcr...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Webdev/GetInvolved is another good starting point
> for web development.

In fact, that's the destination of the webdev path through the whatcanIdo
site, so it's a great place to start. Rajat, if you're interested in
working on MDN, the link you'll find on the above page takes you to to a
list of mentored bugs that might be worth a look.

Thanks for contributing to Mozilla!

Justin

--
Justin Crawford
Product Manager, MDN

Gervase Markham

Aug 3, 2015, 6:40:39 AM8/3/15
to Justin Crawford, Luke Crouch, Rajat Garg
On 31/07/15 15:35, Justin Crawford wrote:
> In fact, that's the destination of the webdev path through the whatcanIdo
> site, so it's a great place to start.

What is that path? I went to http://whatcanidoformozilla.org/ and tried
to put myself in the mind of a web developer. I chose "Writing code" ->
"JavaScript" and got told to go work on Popcorn and Mobile Firefox.
There are some webdev things in that path, but... shouldn't there be an
"HTML/CSS" option under "Writing code"?

Gerv

Justin Crawford

Aug 3, 2015, 11:04:32 AM8/3/15
to Gervase Markham, mozilla-d...@lists.mozilla.org, Luke Crouch, Rajat Garg
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 4:40 AM, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 31/07/15 15:35, Justin Crawford wrote:
> > In fact, that's the destination of the webdev path through the whatcanIdo
> > site, so it's a great place to start.
>
> What is that path? I went to http://whatcanidoformozilla.org/ and tried
> to put myself in the mind of a web developer. I chose "Writing code" ->
> "JavaScript" and got told to go work on Popcorn and Mobile Firefox.
> There are some webdev things in that path, but... shouldn't there be an
> "HTML/CSS" option under "Writing code"?

Fair enough. I don't know what decisions informed the tool's design, but
here are a few paths that lead to the webdev Get Involved area:

http://whatcanidoformozilla.org/#!/progornoprog/proglang/py/web-development
http://whatcanidoformozilla.org/#!/progornoprog/proglang/js/web-development
http://whatcanidoformozilla.org/#!/progornoprog/proglang/php/wordpress

As designed, you might have to click a few times to land on one of those.