More up-to-date version of whatbrowser.org

Matt Sidor

Apr 29, 2015, 4:25:50 PM4/29/15
to mozilla-d...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,

I have been using a well-designed, relatively unobtrusive JavaScript app (https://github.com/zenopopovici/Browser-Update) that notifies my web site visitors when their web browser is out of date. It redirects these visitors to Google's www.whatbrowser.org site, a "non-partisan" info page that tells users how to upgrade their browser.

Unfortunately, the whatbrowser.org page hasn't been updated in some time. As a result, it's telling users of pretty old browsers that their version is "the most current version" and they do not need to upgrade.

Examples...

Firefox 31 - http://i.imgur.com/qChw1tG.png
Chrome 30 - https://i.imgur.com/cQJlLn4.png

I've tried reaching out to Google about this but haven't heard anything back yet.

I'd like to create a similar page that uses a more stringent and up-to-date set of version standards. I would say that if your browser hasn't been updated within the last 2-3 versions, it should ask you to upgrade. (maybe even more stringent than that -- if it's not the absolute latest version!)

Furthermore, I think I would offer more detailed information on how to set up your browser to auto-update, or how you might engage your IT division in a conversation on the importance of keeping web browsers up-to-date.

Does anyone want to help me with this idea?

Might the Mozilla Foundation be interested in hosting such a project? I am concerned about bandwidth costs if I host this myself. Who could I reach out to at Mozilla about this idea?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

shrey...@gmail.com

May 27, 2015, 3:38:39 AM5/27/15
to mozilla-d...@lists.mozilla.org