Ending Webdev Monthly Events

Michael Kelly

Sep 13, 2017, 12:23:09 PM9/13/17
to dev-webdev
Yo!

I've been organizing the Webdev Extravaganza and Beer and Tell for ~4
years now. It's been many many years since there was a single Webdev
group at Mozilla, and these days attendance has dropped to the same
group of 3-6 people. The list of things we cover at the events is
growing smaller as well.

Given that they're no longer achieving their goal of keeping the greater
community of web developers at Mozilla in touch with each other, I'm
going to step down from organizing the events. Next Wednesday I'll be
updating the wiki, cancelling our scheduled AirMo streams, and
cancelling the calendar invites on the webdev calendar.

The Beer and Tell scheduled this Friday will be the last event I host.

If you vehemently disagree with me and think that regular streamed
meetings are still valuable, I'm happy to help transfer over the
responsibilities before I wrap things up next week. I'd recommend you
consider other, more promising options for supporting a webdev-specific
Mozilla community first, though.

Thanks to everyone who attended or helped organize/host over the years!
Ya'll are wonderful.

- Mike Kelly

Fred Wenzel

Sep 13, 2017, 12:29:06 PM9/13/17
to dev-w...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for the long history of beer and tell Michael! I remember it
fondly. Just last week I was playing with my new Roku setup at home and
used the Air Mozilla channel to watch the most recent Beer and Tell
recording.

High five to all the web developers in the Mozilla community.

~F

Luke Crouch

Sep 13, 2017, 12:43:46 PM9/13/17
to Fred Wenzel, dev-webdev
Sad to see it end, but I haven't been able to make it much at all lately,
so I understand. Glad we have the archived recordings!

John Karahalis

Sep 13, 2017, 12:44:09 PM9/13/17
to Fred Wenzel, dev-webdev
Nothing beats face time. The WebDev meetups at the All Hands events are
great.

What are the odds Mozilla would fund a WebDev work week? I have no doubt it
would be worthwhile, but I can't imagine we'll get much support for an
event like this without someone like a morgamic.
--
John Karahalis
Mozilla

Chris Lonnen

Sep 18, 2017, 4:38:25 PM9/18/17
to Erik Rose, dev-webdev, Michael Kelly
I'll be on a plane and unable to attend on Friday, which is sad times. I've
enjoyed every one of these I've attended. Thank you, Mike "Dangeresque"
Kelly, for keeping this going and for gracefully shutting it down.

If you have a moment, take a walk down memory lane with me and enjoy the
greatest meeting invite I or anyone has ever received:

http://www.mkelly.me/sample-adventure/