Must Convert M4V to OGM, Not Having Much Luck with VLC Place, Other Options on Mac?

Brian

Jul 6, 2009, 7:21:24 PM7/6/09
To take advantage of <video>, I'd like to convert M4V to OGM. My
first take was to re-stream it with VLC Player, but the results were
not optimal. Is there software running on Mac (or Windows) which
anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help which might be provided.

Brian

Jul 7, 2009, 9:10:10 AM7/7/09
I have created OGV files with ffmpeg2theora, but I'm getting negative
results in Firefox 3.5. A big X instead of wonderful moving
pictures...

Brian

Jul 7, 2009, 3:20:02 PM7/7/09
Ah, I see. I am running it via localhost, but, and I quote: "the
server must serve the file using the correct MIME type in order for
Firefox to play it correctly."

No one is reading this, but if anyone happens upon, how do I adjust my
OS X machine so that it serves the correct MIME type?

Thanks,
-Brian

Kem Apak

Jul 7, 2009, 4:15:33 PM7/7/09
to dev-web-d...@lists.mozilla.org
We are reading :)

I think you need to update mime.types file

it should be under /etc/apache2/ directory on OS X

Cheers,

Kem

Brian

Jul 7, 2009, 5:05:53 PM7/7/09
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't sure whether I had come to the right place or
not! Thanks for helping me out Kem. I was struggling to find
mime.types on OS X, so you really lent me a hand (I should have simply
made a Spotlight search from the beginning).

Let me relate what I had to do to make this work. Adding this line to
my mime.types (for both OS X and MAMP) did not work:
"video/ogg ogv"

At this point, I went exploring and found "application/ogg ogg"
was registered there. Changing my OGVs to OGGs made everything play
well together, to my delight. :)

Perhaps I needed to restart my machine (though I don't believe
restarting MAMP worked) to get OGV delivered in a way Firefox wanted.

I hope this will help any other devs out there, fighting the tide.

-Brian

Matěj Cepl

Oct 9, 2009, 4:43:53 AM10/9/09
Dne 7.7.2009 01:21, Brian napsal(a):

It just uses ffmpeg2theora, but I still find it helpful ... try Fireogg
http://firefogg.org/

Matěj