Phasing out NPAPI extensions

omkar....@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2016, 5:43:10 PM9/13/16
In this context I would rather refer directly to silverlight plugin. Correct me if I am wrong, but silverlight plugin also comes under the NPAPI extensions?

Silverlight has been used in many web based applications often for it's features. Many enterprise level web-applications have been using silverlight for it's vivid range of controls, media format extensibility, and other transition effects and validations as well. It provides smooth IIS streaming which enables smooth and on-demand streaming of media.

Though it has it's pros and cons, I believe there must be a huge user base using silverlight plugin, and many have started migrating to the best and easiest platforms since the "silverlight Y2K" has been announced, there would still be a vast application-base that would fail to meet the deadline of early 2018 causing a havoc in the web based platform interchanges.

The developers of various web applications are still in the phase of deciding which platform to adapt as their savior, and in this phase declaring a dead line so indistinct would slam dunk their entire product in a no man's land of the web.

A rational gesture here would be keeping a beta version that would still provide a support for these extensions, although the main version might not support it. But it would at least give time for the other developers to take valid decisions and stay alive in this web expeditions.

Firefox has been the best chosen and utilized browser by a vast number of users of the web. And also the most preferred one by the developer communities for the debugging features it provides.

Chris Peterson

Sep 13, 2016, 6:27:57 PM9/13/16
On 9/13/2016 2:43 PM, omkar....@gmail.com wrote:
> Though it has it's pros and cons, I believe there must be a huge user base using silverlight plugin, and many have started migrating to the best and easiest platforms since the "silverlight Y2K" has been announced, there would still be a vast application-base that would fail to meet the deadline of early 2018 causing a havoc in the web based platform interchanges.

The plan to drop Silverlight (and other NPAPI plugins) was announced
back in 2015 [1] and Mozilla has recommended developers avoid NPAPI
since 2013 [2]. So this change in NPAPI support should not be a surprise.

Also, Chrome dropped support for Silverlight in 2015 and Edge has never
supported Silverlight. Any sites that depend on Silverlight already fail
to support about 70% of the browser market.

Sites that use Silverlight for video DRM in Firefox can now switch to
Widevine EME [3], using the same HTML5 video player for Firefox and Chrome.

chris

[1]
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/
[2]