Mozilla blocked Flash for 8 hours.. any data?

gqu...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2015, 4:17:41 PM7/22/15
Hi all,

Did Mozilla collect any data* for the 8 hours flash was blocked? This could really help any discussion about making flash click-to-play permanently..

Thanks!
Bryan

[1] http://gizmodo.com/firefox-now-blocks-flash-by-default-1717664482
* Number of people turning it on anyway, etc

Benjamin Smedberg

Jul 27, 2015, 10:27:16 AM7/27/15
to gqu...@gmail.com, dev-tech...@lists.mozilla.org

On 7/22/2015 4:17 PM, gqu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Did Mozilla collect any data* for the 8 hours flash was blocked? This could really help any discussion about making flash click-to-play permanently..

We do not collect data from our release users, but we do collect some
information about activation from prerelease users in the following
telemetry histograms:

PLUGINS_NOTIFICATION_SHOWN
PLUGINS_NOTIFICATION_PLUGIN_COUNTPLUGINS_NOTIFICATION_USER_ACTION
PLUGINS_INFOBAR_SHOWN PLUGINS_INFOBAR_BLOCK PLUGINS_INFOBAR_ALLOW

See
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/toolkit/components/telemetry/Histograms.json
for a more complete description of these histograms. You can look at the
aggregate numbers by date on the telemetry dashboard at
https://telemetry.mozilla.org/

I don't expect that this data will be helpful in making decisions about
Flash default status. There are still clear blockers such as advertising
to deal with, but the time is coming where we can consider it.

--BDS