DUPLICATE: previously had wrong subject; external messaging extension question

Peter Weinstein

Apr 12, 2017, 1:44:38 PM4/12/17
to dev-tech...@lists.mozilla.org, Peter Weinstein
Hi

I'm looking for Webextensions help.

I have a Webextension which launches a native app using

the chrome.runtime.sendNativeMessage(...) API.

This extension normally invokes an already running process to get some

work done; noramlly the end result is to download a document from a

server and start a Microsoft Office Application (e.g. WinWord.exe) to

edit/review.

The extension returns immediately.

However, there is a problem. If the long-running application is not

actually running, then it is started. But when the extension gets a

response message, it kills the native application, and every process

created by it.

This is unexpected (by me); Chrome behavior differs.

Is this expected behavior by you? Is it documented? Is there a

mechanism for my native application to launch a task which continues

to run after the native application has returned to Firefox, and

exited?