Webclient 2.0 Status

Ed Burns

Mar 4, 2006, 11:19:26 PM3/4/06
Here's a status update on the Webclient project.

I'm working to get webclient running under Firefox 1.5.0.1.
It builds and most of the unit tests run. I have to
rewrite the profilemanager.

Here's the latest change-bundle.

This checkin gets webclient and sorta running with Firefox 1.5.0.1

Next step is to fix this:

D:\Projects\mozilla\MOZILLA_NIH\FIREFOX_1_5_0_1\mozilla\java\webclient\build-tests.xml:152: Test org.mozilla.webclient.DocumentLoadListenerTest failed

M build.properties.sample

- Add hint for msdev arguments.

M dom/build.xml
M util/build.xml
M webclient/build.xml

- compile.source to 1.3

M dom/jni/Makefile.in
M webclient/src_ie/Makefile.in
M webclient/src_moz/Makefile.in
M webclient/src_moz/gtk/Makefile.in
M webclient/src_share/Makefile.in

- +DEFINES += -DMOZILLA_INTERNAL_API

M dom/jni/nativeDOMProxyListener.cpp
M dom/src/nsJavaDOMImpl.cpp

- remove cast to (void **) in AttachCurrentThread

M dom/src/Makefile.in

- depend on layout

- +DEFINES += -DMOZILLA_INTERNAL_API

M webclient/build-tests.xml

- comment out ProfileManagerTest

- compile with compile.source

M webclient/src_moz/NativeBrowserControl.cpp

- nsIFocusController,nsIChromeEventHandler,nsIDomWindowInternal no
longer needs nsCOMPtr

M webclient/src_moz/NativeEventThread.cpp

- remove IID defs for webShell, sHistory.

M webclient/src_moz/NavigationActionEvents.cpp

- remove nsIPresContext include

M webclient/src_moz/NavigationImpl.cpp

-#include "nsIServiceManagerUtils.h" // PENDING(edburns): when moving
- // past 1.7, this changes to
- // nsServiceManagerUtils.h
+#include "nsServiceManagerUtils.h"

M webclient/src_moz/ProfileManagerImpl.cpp

- This is currently totally broken. Next step is to fix it.

M webclient/src_moz/WrapperFactoryImpl.cpp

- comment out profileManager accesses

M webclient/src_moz/ns_globals.h
M webclient/src_moz/ns_util.h

- take out nsIWebShell

M webclient/test/automated/src/classes/org/mozilla/webclient/BrowserControlFactoryTest.java

- comment out goldenFile assertion until ProfileManager works.

--
Modify my email address before replying to remove spam block.

Ed Burns

Mar 28, 2006, 10:46:10 AM3/28/06
More status. I currently have all the automated tests running against
the Firefox 1.5.0.1 tree except for the profile manager test. However,
as Ben Smedberg pointed out, the age-old practice of using the browser
as the embedding runtime, which I've been doing for the past seven
years, is now no longer valid. This is because firefox production
builds have most of the libs used by webclient linked in statically.

The answer was to use XULRunner, which is a separate download. I'm
currently investigating this. The nice thing is that I'll be able to
use the JavaXPCOM bridge from Javier Pedemonte to implement webclient.
Once I do this, people wishing to embed mozilla into their apps can use
the same old webclient interface they have always been using. I'm very
excited about this idea because we will now have a great chance of
running on Win32, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X due to Javier already having
done some of the hard work.

Ed

Ed Burns

Apr 12, 2006, 6:57:06 AM4/12/06
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:46:10 -0500, Ed Burns wrote:

> The answer was to use XULRunner, which is a separate download. I'm
> currently investigating this. The nice thing is that I'll be able to
> use the JavaXPCOM bridge from Javier Pedemonte to implement webclient.
> Once I do this, people wishing to embed mozilla into their apps can use
> the same old webclient interface they have always been using. I'm very
> excited about this idea because we will now have a great chance of
> running on Win32, GNU/Linux and Mac OS X due to Javier already having
> done some of the hard work.

Here's another quick status update. I've been working on pluglets lately
and haven't focused on Webclient. Right now, I'm trying to get the
pluglet.dll to load properly as an XPCOM component.

Ed

mica

Apr 23, 2006, 7:49:17 PM4/23/06
Hello Ed,...

I'm Micael Gallego and I am very interested in use WebClient with the
latest Firefox version. I'm new webclient user. How mature is the
porting of webclient to JavaXPCOM??? Is latest CVS sources already
working with JavaXPCOM???

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Magnus Hedberg

Sep 26, 2006, 8:49:39 AM9/26/06
to dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org

Ed,

We are very excited to learn that you are working on stuff related to the
webclient project. Is there some place with more recent information than
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/blackwood/webclient/ on the project ?

We are working on a cross platform product, Windows, Mac & Linux and we have
compiled the Mozilla TestBrowser on Linux and it works fine. However, we
have problems with compiling the source code on Windows XP (the binaries
provided by Mozilla work fine). We still need to test it on Mac OS X.

Is this a suitable forum to discuss the compilation issues that we have run
into?

Best regards
Magnus Hedberg

Http://www.marratech.com/