BMO Component for Master Password bugs

Matthew N.

Jul 14, 2016, 6:50:56 PM7/14/16
to passwords-dev, dev-se...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello,

Bugs related to master password are currently scattered through bugzilla
such as the following components in descending order by bug count (after
ignoring non-fx-desktop products and platform-specific issues):

- Toolkit::Password Manager - 25
- Firefox::Security - 13
- Core::Security: PSM - 7
- Core::Security: UI - 7
- NSS::Libraries - 5
- …

(source: https://mzl.la/29GINuz which is after a mass-closing of many of
them last year)

It's not a huge number of bugs but having them spread around makes it
harder to track and triage them and the components that they end up in. I
specifically would like to move most master password bugs out of
Toolkit::Password Manager since they aren't specific to the password
manager and get in the way of password manager triage as they're currently
around 7% of the pwmgr bugs.

Does anyone want to nominate an existing component as the place to move
master password bugs that aren't consumer-specific? If not, I propose
creating a new component e.g. "Core::Security: Master Password" to move the
bugs to.

Thanks,
MattN

Gijs Kruitbosch

Jul 15, 2016, 8:43:18 AM7/15/16
to Matthew N.
On 14/07/2016 23:50, Matthew N. wrote:
> I specifically would like to move most master password bugs out of
> Toolkit::Password Manager since they aren't specific to the password
> manager

I'm a little confused. What other things than password manager do the
master password bugs relate to? Isn't it only used to secure
passwords/logins? In other words, why isn't Toolkit::Password Manager
the correct component?

~ Gijs

Matthew N.

Jul 15, 2016, 5:54:07 PM7/15/16
to Gijs Kruitbosch, passwords-dev, mozilla-de...@lists.mozilla.org
On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Gijs Kruitbosch <gijskru...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14/07/2016 23:50, Matthew N. wrote:
>
>> I specifically would like to move most master password bugs out of
>> Toolkit::Password Manager since they aren't specific to the password
>> manager
>>

> I'm a little confused. What other things than password manager do the
> master password bugs relate to? Isn't it only used to secure
> passwords/logins? In other words, why isn't Toolkit::Password Manager the
> correct component?

​The implementation of master password code and UI. It's also used for
client certificates and possibly extensions.​

Two reasons why most of the MP bugs don't belong in the password manager
component:
a) The MP implementation code/UI aren't in the password manager source
directories. I think the implementation is in PSM.
b) The owners of password manager don't own the master password
implementation and therefore the bugs aren't triaged by the same people.

​I'm not saying no MP bugs belong in the password manager component but
even ignoring the ones in the password manager component I think it's clear
that the bugs are fragmented between many components.

Matthew

Justin Dolske

Jul 18, 2016, 5:07:50 PM7/18/16
On 7/14/16 3:50 PM, Matthew N. wrote:

> Does anyone want to nominate an existing component as the place to move
> master password bugs that aren't consumer-specific? If not, I propose
> creating a new component e.g. "Core::Security: Master Password" to move the
> bugs to.

I think the technically correct answer ("the best kind of correct") is
that most MP bugs belong in NSS::Libraries and Core::Security: PSM,
since that's where the actual implementation is. (For those who don't
know: the "master password" is nothing more than a PKCS#11 token PIN.)

But that's pretty non-obvious to anyone not working in the code, and I
don't think having the bugs live there makes them any more likely to be
fixed.

I suggest just keeping Toolkit::PasswordManager as the default place
until such time as we can switch a master password implementation that's
not based on a crufty old token PIN. That's where they're most likely to
get filed/triaged to in the first place, anyway.

This is a small number of not-really-new bugs, so I'm not really sure it
merits its own component, either.

Justin

Justin Dolske

Jul 18, 2016, 5:07:51 PM7/18/16