Policy 2.4 Proposal: Add CC-0 license to policy

Gervase Markham

Nov 30, 2016, 4:34:51 PM11/30/16
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
CAs may want to copy bits of our policy into their working documents and
other things; the best way to make that easy is to use CC-0.

This would involve adding a footer:

Any copyright in this document is <a>dedicated to the Public Domain</a>.

....with the link being to http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/.

This is: https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/35

-------

This is a proposed update to Mozilla's root store policy for version
2.4. Please keep discussion in this group rather than on Github. Silence
is consent.

Policy 2.3 (current version):
https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/blob/2.3/rootstore/policy.md
Update process:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA:CertPolicyUpdates

Kurt Roeckx

Nov 30, 2016, 4:59:10 PM11/30/16
to Gervase Markham, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 09:34:11PM +0000, Gervase Markham wrote:
> CAs may want to copy bits of our policy into their working documents and
> other things; the best way to make that easy is to use CC-0.
>
> This would involve adding a footer:
>
> Any copyright in this document is <a>dedicated to the Public Domain</a>.
>
> ....with the link being to http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/.

public domain and CC0 are very similar, but are not the same. I
suggest you put CC0 there instead of PD.

Kurt

Gervase Markham

Dec 1, 2016, 2:17:33 AM12/1/16
to Kurt Roeckx
On 30/11/16 21:58, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>> This would involve adding a footer:
>>
>> Any copyright in this document is <a>dedicated to the Public Domain</a>.
>>
>> ....with the link being to http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/.
>
> public domain and CC0 are very similar, but are not the same. I
> suggest you put CC0 there instead of PD.

The link is to CC-0. The reason the text says "dedicated to the Public
Domain" is that this is the goal of CC-0. (Where it's not possible, it
turns into a liberal license, but that's the goal.)

Presumably you are proposing alternative text like:

"This document is licensed under the Creative Commons Zero license."

?

Gerv

Kurt Roeckx

Dec 1, 2016, 3:07:29 AM12/1/16
On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 07:16:56AM +0000, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 30/11/16 21:58, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> >> This would involve adding a footer:
> >>
> >> Any copyright in this document is <a>dedicated to the Public Domain</a>.
> >>
> >> ....with the link being to http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/.
> >
> > public domain and CC0 are very similar, but are not the same. I
> > suggest you put CC0 there instead of PD.
>
> The link is to CC-0. The reason the text says "dedicated to the Public
> Domain" is that this is the goal of CC-0. (Where it's not possible, it
> turns into a liberal license, but that's the goal.)
>
> Presumably you are proposing alternative text like:
>
> "This document is licensed under the Creative Commons Zero license."

Yes.

Kurt

Gervase Markham

Dec 1, 2016, 10:47:45 AM12/1/16
to Kurt Roeckx
On 01/12/16 08:06, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>> Presumably you are proposing alternative text like:
>>
>> "This document is licensed under the Creative Commons Zero license."
>
> Yes.

The particular text was chosen because of:
https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/headers/
which is what code in the Mozilla tree uses (and which, admittedly, is
also a document I wrote).

Gerv

Eric Mill

Dec 2, 2016, 12:46:09 PM12/2/16
to Gervase Markham, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, Kurt Roeckx
I would try to avoid "licensed" for CC0, which is meant to be a public
domain dedication (which actively removes one's copyright) rather than a
license (which retains and uses one's copyright to attain a goal).

In my day job (with a US government agency), we acknowledge the automatic
public domain status of our work domestically, while using CC0 for all of
our work abroad. We phrase it like this:

Additionally, we waive copyright and related rights in the work worldwide
through the CC0 1.0 Universal public domain dedication.

From: https://github.com/18F/open-source-policy/blob/master/LICENSE.md

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> On 01/12/16 08:06, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> >> Presumably you are proposing alternative text like:
> >>
> >> "This document is licensed under the Creative Commons Zero license."
> >
> > Yes.
>
> The particular text was chosen because of:
> https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/headers/
> which is what code in the Mozilla tree uses (and which, admittedly, is
> also a document I wrote).
>
> Gerv

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>

Gervase Markham

Dec 8, 2016, 2:58:23 PM12/8/16
On 30/11/16 11:34, Gervase Markham wrote:
> CAs may want to copy bits of our policy into their working documents and
> other things; the best way to make that easy is to use CC-0.
>
> This would involve adding a footer:
>
> Any copyright in this document is <a>dedicated to the Public Domain</a>.
>
> ....with the link being to http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/.
>
> This is: https://github.com/mozilla/pkipolicy/issues/35

Resolution: CC-0 license added; standard Mozilla text adopted.

Gerv