Maybe Mozilla can work with Chinese CAs to urge Chinese government to open up its internet a bit more?

nfji...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 12:54:48 PM9/19/16
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
As you might have already known, most of Google services are blocked within China, including this very forum.

I'm not sure how a fair and just assessment of a CA, that primarily serves the Chinese market, can be had without any participation from any of its users.

Having equal right for the Chinese citizen to participate in the discussion of this technical matter not only benefits Mozilla, as more evidence of the technical strength of a CA can be presented, but also gives credibility and value to a Chinese CA, since a right process can be had by giving its users a way to audit its behavior.

Without a participation from the Chinese citizens, this supposedly free discussion group seems more like a privileged club, where only those who are either outside of China or have a VPN can join.

I look forward for Mozilla and CA organizations to work to build a better internet for everyone, by urging the Chinese government to stop censoring the internet, starting from this forum.

Richard Barnes

Sep 19, 2016, 1:11:27 PM9/19/16
to nfji...@gmail.com, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
I believe this group is also accessible as a mailing list, with no
connection to Google at all.

I hope that that allows people in China to participate, even if Google
services are inaccessible. Please let me know if that's not the case.

--Richard

Han Yuwei

Sep 19, 2016, 1:14:35 PM9/19/16
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
在 2016年9月20日星期二 UTC+8上午12:54:48,nfji...@gmail.com写道:
You can join discussions by mailing-list

Jakob Bohm

Sep 19, 2016, 2:45:08 PM9/19/16
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Most ways of accessing this "forum" are completely outside Google.

Google runs an online web app that can access 3rd party NTP "forums",
and you appear to be using that Google web app, but not everyone does.

If the Google web app is blocked in China, then the Chinese
participants (I have read messages from at least 2 people from China in
the past week here), are presumably not using the Google web app.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S. https://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2860 Søborg, Denmark. Direct +45 31 13 16 10

Hanno Böck

Sep 19, 2016, 3:07:28 PM9/19/16
to dev-secur...@lists.mozilla.org
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 13:11:17 -0400
Richard Barnes <rba...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I believe this group is also accessible as a mailing list, with no
> connection to Google at all.

The archive link there goes to the google page.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to provide a link to an alternative archive
option? The list is archived mail-archive.com:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev-secur...@lists.mozilla.org/

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/

mail/jabber: ha...@hboeck.de
GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42

Richard Barnes

Sep 20, 2016, 8:54:41 AM9/20/16
to Jinjing Wang, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks for running the experiment. I'll see if we have any logs of whether
the mail was sent.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse brevity.

On Sep 20, 2016, at 13:08, Jinjing Wang <nfji...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. That's very good to know.

I just verified that the page of the mailing list is accessible. I tried to
register some email account for testing. It seems that sina.com won't allow
me to send the confirmation reply, claiming an incorrect address format.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 1:11 AM Richard Barnes <rba...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I believe this group is also accessible as a mailing list, with no
> connection to Google at all.

> I hope that that allows people in China to participate, even if Google
> services are inaccessible. Please let me know if that's not the case.
>
> --Richard
>
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 5:58 AM, <nfji...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As you might have already known, most of Google services are blocked
>> within China, including this very forum.
>>
>> I'm not sure how a fair and just assessment of a CA, that primarily
>> serves the Chinese market, can be had without any participation from any of
>> its users.
>>
>> Having equal right for the Chinese citizen to participate in the
>> discussion of this technical matter not only benefits Mozilla, as more
>> evidence of the technical strength of a CA can be presented, but also gives
>> credibility and value to a Chinese CA, since a right process can be had by
>> giving its users a way to audit its behavior.
>>
>> Without a participation from the Chinese citizens, this supposedly free
>> discussion group seems more like a privileged club, where only those who
>> are either outside of China or have a VPN can join.
>>
>> I look forward for Mozilla and CA organizations to work to build a better
>> internet for everyone, by urging the Chinese government to stop censoring
>> the internet, starting from this forum.

Jinjing Wang

Sep 21, 2016, 7:50:00 AM9/21/16
to Richard Barnes, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org