DigiCert ROCA fingerprint incident report

Jeremy Rowley

Nov 7, 2017, 1:21:36 PM11/7/17
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Hey everyone,

Here's the DigiCert incident report about the ROCA fingerprints. Note that
these were all issued by Symantec (ie, before the transaction closed).

We became aware of the issue when it was posted to the mailing list.
However, at that time, the certs were not operated by DigiCert. We became
aware that DigiCert needed to take action on close (Nov 1). At that time,
the new combined team launched an investigation to determine the impacted
certs. Six certs were identified and revoked:

4a907fbfc90eb043c50c9c8ace6305a1

8008c178d0d4cd3d79acc09f6ac132c

2dab9a2d40a2f55c5d705551cf7cafe5

306b67f5c25ee0fd495d2be88979eb72

7c7b826b183093ba1e5b9850ac31d806

4c834767e44ecbd0cdef8e60c04dcf32

These certs were all revoked around Nov 3, within 24 hours of identifying
the impacted certs at DigiCert.

Jeremy

Alex Gaynor

Nov 7, 2017, 1:23:30 PM11/7/17
to Jeremy Rowley, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Jeremy,

Have all these certificates been submitted to CT?

Thanks!
Alex

Jeremy Rowley

Nov 7, 2017, 1:27:49 PM11/7/17
to Alex Gaynor, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
I believe so – I asked that they all be logged, but I’ll need to double check whether it got done.

Kurt Roeckx

Nov 7, 2017, 1:39:08 PM11/7/17
to Jeremy Rowley, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

What I miss is what has been done to prevent new ones from being
issued.

Kurt

On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 06:20:53PM +0000, Jeremy Rowley via dev-security-policy wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>

> Here's the DigiCert incident report about the ROCA fingerprints. Note that
> these were all issued by Symantec (ie, before the transaction closed).
>

> We became aware of the issue when it was posted to the mailing list.
> However, at that time, the certs were not operated by DigiCert. We became
> aware that DigiCert needed to take action on close (Nov 1). At that time,
> the new combined team launched an investigation to determine the impacted
> certs. Six certs were identified and revoked:
>

> 4a907fbfc90eb043c50c9c8ace6305a1
>

> 8008c178d0d4cd3d79acc09f6ac132c
>

> 2dab9a2d40a2f55c5d705551cf7cafe5
>

> 306b67f5c25ee0fd495d2be88979eb72
>

> 7c7b826b183093ba1e5b9850ac31d806
>

> 4c834767e44ecbd0cdef8e60c04dcf32
>

> These certs were all revoked around Nov 3, within 24 hours of identifying
> the impacted certs at DigiCert.
>

> Jeremy

Jeremy Rowley

Nov 7, 2017, 1:40:58 PM11/7/17
to Kurt Roeckx, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Yeah - still trying to get that info. I'll update this list right when I
know what's been done. I'm not 100% sure at this point, but I wanted to
post early and update than wait until I know everything. Sorry - should
have specified that in the original email.

Nov 7, 2017, 2:03:49 PM11/7/17
to Jeremy Rowley, Kurt Roeckx, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
More info (that was sent to me a while ago, I just missed the report):

There we actually seven. I missed this one:
Serial: "a18e9"

We installed a patch to stop accepting ROCA keys for TLS certs on
2017-10-26. A patch for code signing and email certs is coming shortly.
Once that patch is installed, we will repeat our scans for any additional
vulnerable certificates that were issued in the interim.

Rob Stradling

Nov 8, 2017, 7:04:44 AM11/8/17
to Jeremy Rowley, Alex Gaynor, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
I see all 7 of the certs identified in this thread in crt.sh:

Serial number: 4a907fbfc90eb043c50c9c8ace6305a1
SAN->dNSName: [www.]asik-portal.com
https://crt.sh/?id=13734110

Serial number: 8008c178d0d4cd3d79acc09f6ac132c
SAN->dNSName: *.Thameswater.co.uk
https://crt.sh/?id=249452540

Serial number: 2dab9a2d40a2f55c5d705551cf7cafe5
SAN->dNSName: *.thameswater.co.uk
https://crt.sh/?id=249452542

Serial number: 306b67f5c25ee0fd495d2be88979eb72
SAN->dNSName: *.thameswater.co.uk
https://crt.sh/?id=249452543

Serial number: 7c7b826b183093ba1e5b9850ac31d806
SAN->dNSName: *.thameswater.co.uk
https://crt.sh/?id=249452544

Serial number: 4c834767e44ecbd0cdef8e60c04dcf32
SAN->dNSName: r02s06.nex.yahoo.com
https://crt.sh/?id=153622290

Serial number: a18e9
Domain name: [www.]vwiscada.com