OCSP Responder monitoring (was Re: Violations of Baseline Requirements 4.9.10)

Rob Stradling

Dec 11, 2017, 5:50:34 PM12/11/17
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Inspired by Paul Kehrer's research a few months ago, I've added a
continuous OCSP Monitoring feature to crt.sh:

https://crt.sh/ocsp-responders

This page shows the latest results of 3 OCSP checks (performed hourly)
against each CA / Responder URL that crt.sh has ever encountered:
1. a GET request for an unexpired certificate.
2. a POST request for an unexpired certificate.
3. a POST request for a randomly-generated serial number.

The results can be sorted and filtered in various ways: try editing the
form at the top of the page and then clicking "Update"; or try clicking
a value in any of the "Response" columns.

The "B" (for "Bytes") column lists the size of each HTTP response.
Click on any of these values and you'll see the actual OCSP response
that crt.sh saw; each OCSP response can be viewed as a hex dump, ASN.1
dump, or in the text form used by "openssl ocsp -resp_text".

There are many well behaved Responders, but there's also a wealth of
interesting misbehaviours to explore!

Some example reports:

1. CAs / Responder URLs that are in scope for, but violate, the BR
prohibition on returning a signed a "Good" response for a random serial
number, and are also in scope for Mozilla's consideration:
https://crt.sh/ocsp-responders?trustedExclude=constrained%2Cexpired%2Conecrl&trustedBy=Mozilla&trustedFor=Server+Authentication&randomserial=Good

2. All CAs / Responder URLs, sorted by GET response size (largest first):
https://crt.sh/ocsp-responders?dir=^&sort=6

3. All CAs / Responder URLs, sorted by GET response time (fastest first):
https://crt.sh/ocsp-responders?dir=v&sort=10
(No surprise that Comodo's OCSP Responders are fastest from this
particular network perspective ;-) ).

4. All CAs / Responder URLs where 'comodo' is a substring of the
Responder URL:
https://crt.sh/ocsp-responders?url=%25comodo%25

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

Peter Gutmann

Dec 11, 2017, 8:55:10 PM12/11/17
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org, Rob Stradling
Rob Stradling via dev-security-policy <dev-secur...@lists.mozilla.org> writes:

>CAs / Responder URLs that are in scope for, but violate, the BR prohibition
>on returning a signed a "Good" response for a random serial number

Isn't that perfectly valid? Despite the misleading name, OCSP's "Good" just
means "not revoked", and a not-revoked reply to a random serial number is
correct because it's not revoked.

Peter.

Ryan Sleevi

Dec 11, 2017, 9:11:10 PM12/11/17
to Peter Gutmann, Rob Stradling, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
No. It has been prohibited for years in the Baseline Requirements. With an
expectation that CAs monitor such requests in light of DigiNotar

Wayne Thayer

Dec 19, 2017, 5:22:01 PM12/19/17
to Rob Stradling, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
Thanks Rob! I went through the list and filed a bug for each CA if there
wasn't one already open (with one exception that I'm still researching).
All open OCSP issues are included in the list at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/CA/Incident_Dashboard

Wayne