Policy 2.4 Proposal:Require full CP/CPS in English

Han Yuwei

Nov 30, 2016, 5:38:53 PM11/30/16
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
I request to postpone this issue for further discussion for reasons below.

1. Is English CP/CPS authoritative or just a plain translation?
2. Requesting every changes to be published in English?
3. What should we do if there is conflicts between English version and CA's native language due to the culture differences?

Matt Palmer

Nov 30, 2016, 6:28:49 PM11/30/16
to dev-secur...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 02:38:44PM -0800, Han Yuwei wrote:
> I request to postpone this issue for further discussion for reasons below.
>
> 1. Is English CP/CPS authoritative or just a plain translation?

I expect it would be authoritative from Mozilla's perspective; that is, any
deviations from the English document would be considered a failure to adhere
to published expectations. That would, I presume, require auditors to
assert compliance to the English version of the CP/CPS also.

> 2. Requesting every changes to be published in English?

That would be reasonable to assume.

> 3. What should we do if there is conflicts between English version and CA's native language due to the culture differences?

The English language version would be authoritative for any interaction
between Mozilla and the CA.

- Matt

David E. Ross

Nov 30, 2016, 11:25:32 PM11/30/16
On 11/30/2016 3:28 PM, Matt Palmer wrote [in part]:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 02:38:44PM -0800, Han Yuwei wrote [also in part]:
>> I request to postpone this issue for further discussion for reasons below.
>>
>> 1. Is English CP/CPS authoritative or just a plain translation?
>
> I expect it would be authoritative from Mozilla's perspective; that is, any
> deviations from the English document would be considered a failure to adhere
> to published expectations. That would, I presume, require auditors to
> assert compliance to the English version of the CP/CPS also.

As an alternative, auditors should choose between (a) assert compliance
to the English version and (b) assert that the English version is an
accurate and complete translation of the version in the certification
authority's native language.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See <http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html>.

Gervase Markham

Dec 1, 2016, 2:15:29 AM12/1/16
to Han Yuwei
These are good questions, but I would prefer we discuss them when I
start discussion on this topic. I am not starting discussion on all 17
topics at once in order to give people time to think about the 3 I have
started a discussion on.

So please, hold your points, and make them at the proper time :-)

Gerv