PlacesCleaner

1 view

jim byrnes

Oct 11, 2009, 12:10:54 PM10/11/09
Last week someone posted about an extension to cleanup and shrink the
Places.sqlite file. Mine had grown to 4,440,064 so I went looking and
found PlacesCleaner. It seemed to install OK but when I run it nothing
seems to happen on the screen and the file size remains the same. I
tried using both the tools menu and the icon on the status bar. Is there
anything else I need to do?

Running: Gecko/2009/09/06 Firefox 3.5.3

I finally used Sqlite brower to compact it and reduced it to 1,994,752
but it seemed like PlacesCleaner would do even more.

Regards, Jim

jim byrnes

Oct 11, 2009, 1:14:27 PM10/11/09
jim byrnes wrote:

Just found a note to myself buried on my desk. The correct extension
should be SqliteManager so I got the wrong one. Sorry.

Regards, Jim

Steve Wendt

Oct 12, 2009, 12:13:07 AM10/12/09
On 10/11/09 09:10 am, jim byrnes wrote:

> Last week someone posted about an extension to cleanup and shrink the
> Places.sqlite file. Mine had grown to 4,440,064 so I went looking and
> found PlacesCleaner.
>

> Running: Gecko/2009/09/06 Firefox 3.5.3
>
> I finally used Sqlite brower to compact it

You don't need anything extra, Firefox can do it:
http://blog.mozilla.com/oremj/2009/08/20/speedup-firefox-with-vacuum/

Al Savage

Oct 14, 2009, 6:43:07 PM10/14/09
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 04:13:07 UTC, Steve Wendt <spa...@forgetit.org>
wrote:

> On 10/11/09 09:10 am, jim byrnes wrote:
>
> > Last week someone posted about an extension to cleanup and shrink the
> > Places.sqlite file. Mine had grown to 4,440,064 so I went looking and
> > found PlacesCleaner.

> You don't need anything extra, Firefox can do it:
> http://blog.mozilla.com/oremj/2009/08/20/speedup-firefox-with-vacuum/

I tried Places Cleaner add-on, Clean Places add-on, and the code snippet
referenced at the link above plugged into the Error Console, and all
changed my places.sqlite from about 15MiB to about . . . 15MiB: Almost
no change using any of them.

--
Regards,
Al S.

Steve Wendt

Oct 14, 2009, 8:33:47 PM10/14/09
On 10/14/2009 3:43 PM, Al Savage wrote:

>> You don't need anything extra, Firefox can do it:
>> http://blog.mozilla.com/oremj/2009/08/20/speedup-firefox-with-vacuum/
>
> I tried Places Cleaner add-on, Clean Places add-on, and the code snippet
> referenced at the link above plugged into the Error Console, and all
> changed my places.sqlite from about 15MiB to about . . . 15MiB: Almost
> no change using any of them.

It's going to also depend on the amount of history you have configured
to keep. If there's no "empty space" in there from purged history, it's
not going to shrink.

Al Savage

Oct 14, 2009, 9:57:12 PM10/14/09
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 00:33:47 UTC, Steve Wendt <spa...@forgetit.org>
wrote:

> It's going to also depend on the amount of history you have configured

> to keep. If there's no "empty space" in there from purged history, it's
> not going to shrink.

Exactly. So if there is really a large performance difference when
vacuumin the SQLite file, this reveals more than one performance issue
with the current builds: no automatic vacuuming (when it clearly needs
it), and the declining performance of the SQLite backend when the
database becomes even slightly enlarged.

I mean, really, a 15MiB database is miniscule by today's standards.

--
Regards,
Al S.