Eideticker measurements of Android armv6 performance

William Lachance

Oct 22, 2012, 11:35:10 AM10/22/12
Hi all,

So although I haven't yet managed to get a decent armv6 device with HDMI
out for use with Eideticker, Blassey pointed out to me last week that it
is possible to get (something like) the same effect by running an armv6
build on armv7 hardware. So I set up the Galaxy Nexus to do that last
week (alongside the existing armv7 builds).

So far the results seem to be pretty much indistinguishable, e.g.:

http://eideticker.wrla.ch/#/samsung-gn/cnn/checkerboard

The sole exception of the (probably rather unrepresentative of real use)
taskjs benchmark:

http://eideticker.wrla.ch/#/samsung-gn/taskjs-scrolling/checkerboard

I guess those gradient fills benefit quite a bit from armv7 instructions.

Please let me know if these benchmarks are actually useful to people
(and if they are, which tests specifically offer useful data). It's a
fair amount of additional data/churn, especially as we continue to add
more tests.

Will