Gecko Profiler Win64 stability

David Major

May 18, 2017, 3:05:10 PM5/18/17
to dev-platform, Firefox Dev
Hi,

The Gecko Profiler used to be notoriously unstable on 64-bit Windows. (If
you're curious: it's mostly because the unwinding rules for Win64 require
the system libraries to do a lot of synchronization, which our stack walker
would often call in ways that could deadlock.)

Ever since the last Quantum Flow work week, I've been working on fixing
these issues. As of this week's nightlies, all of the hangs that have been
reported to me are resolved fixed. There might be some rare corner cases
still remaining, but I'm confident that the most frequent problems have
been addressed.

So my ask is: if you've previously been deterred from using the profiler on
Win64 builds, please give it another try! Flag me on any issues you find
and/or mark them blocking bug 1366030. I will treat these bugs with high
priority since I want to keep Quantum activities unblocked.

Thanks!

Mike Conley

May 18, 2017, 3:06:22 PM5/18/17
to David Major, dev-platform
Tremendous work here. Thank you so much, dmajor!

Ehsan Akhgari

May 18, 2017, 8:00:27 PM5/18/17
to David Major, dev-platform, Firefox Dev
I secretly demoed this today in a live demo tutorial demonstrating the
Gecko Profiler over Vidyo on the latest Win64 Nightly. Thanks for
improving things so much, David!

Michael Layzell

May 19, 2017, 10:52:15 AM5/19/17
to David Major, dev-platform, Firefox Dev
You've done a fantastic job of making it more stable - thank you. I'll make
sure to flag you on any more synchronization issues I run into.